2/4 Bad news for Sid - he already has ketones

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA), Feb 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA)

Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you all for thinking of Sid - he's been getting lots of scritches and kisses today from me.

Here is a little video I made of him in the hospital. You can see what a sweetheart he is with his cute little chirp of greeting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMTlyOMMtnE&list=UUFHwVIT60NlHW3tXdPCjhMg&index=1&feature=plcp

I'm pretty devastated and wish I had better news. Sid can be doing so good and then just a couple hours later he is crashing. When I checked Sid's urine earlier, he already has a lot of ketones. He's been running high so I gave him .25u of R. That brought him down to the 330s where he has been since 3:00 EST. At 8:00, he was 336 so I gave him his 1u of PZI and I will monitor him. I also gave him 75mls of subcutaneous fluids along with about 30 mls of water in his feeding tube. He ate about 3/4 can of food tonight too. Right now he is very quiet and just laying on the couch. I plan to give him about 25mls of subcutaneous fluids in a couple of hours. He also got his B12 injection today along with some cerenia and famotidine.

The ketones have me very concerned and all I can do is pray that he doesn't go into DKA again. He just came home from the hospital yesterday. Things are not looking good for poor Sid. :cry:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=62806

2. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

((((Lydia)))). So sorry. I hope the fluids help. Healing vines to dear sweet Sid and hugs for you.

3. Linda for Weezer

Linda for Weezer Well-Known Member

Prayers for (((Sid))) and you (((Lydia))). He is so sweet and has been through so much. I hope another LL miracle keeps him strong while he regains his health.

4. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

(((((Lydia and Sid))))) Thinking of you both and sending healing energy.
    Liz

5. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Dear ((((Lydia)))),
    This is not what you were hoping for, but perhaps Sid will turn a corner and the fluids, the food, the meds, and the insulin will begin to do their jobs. That is a precious video of your boy. He so loves having you with him. I think he looks pretty good, and he is certainly mobile. We are mustering all the healing vines, white light, snowflakes, positive thoughts, and prayers that we can in the hopes that Sid will recover. He is a brave, tough kitty and he deserves to feel better.

Thinking of you tonight and hoping that you will be able to get some rest.

Many hugs,

Ella & Rusty

6. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

(((Lydia))) (((Sid)))

He is so sweet in the video. He reminds me a lot of my Teddy. I am sending more healing vines to your little fighter.

7. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

I wish I could help turn everything around. Are you getting in more than the normal amount of calories also? MaxCal has 330 calories a can and you can get a lot of calories in the tube this way. I am hoping with all my heart that Sid is able to win the fight. Every single day we have with them is a gift. I'm sending big hugs for both of you.

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Thinking of you both and sending tons of vines and snowflakes.

9. Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA)

Thank you everyone! Sid certainly is a fighter.

Karrie - I believe tonight he got in more calories. He ate almost an entire can of food (Friskies Chicken/tuna) on his own. Where do I find Maxcal?

10. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Lydia, what a sweet boy and so brave. Sending healing vines and many prayers for Sid and you.

11. Karrie and Maverick

Maxcal is from the vet or petsmart I think - its a prescription food. It has 330 calories in a can and is only 3% carbs. For DKA - getting in 1.5xs the amount of normal calories is important. I do not know about managing dosing of insulin or anything. Glad you got fluids in at home also.

That reminds me - when you put the maxcal in the tube you have to blend it and strain it first. It has gritty pieces that block tubes and they are a pain to disolve. Maverick's PEG tube blocked often and its a lot wider than an etube. We didn't have an issue once we started straining it in a fine metal sieve.

12. Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA)

Karrie - thank you for the advice about MaxCal - I will have to see how I can get some. Do you think cheesecloth would work to strain it?

13. Monica and Atticus (GA)

Monica and Atticus (GA) Member

Sending healing thoughts out to Sid. We're all pulling for him!

14. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Awwww, come on Sid. We are all pulling for ya!

Headbutts from my Sid.

Lots of healing vines and snowflakes sent to sweet Sid asap!

15. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

We used the Maxcal after Tarragon had DKA. As many calories as possible is important. It was by prescription but they had it at Petsmart. I hope the food, fluids, meds help. The video was so sweet. He sure was happy to have you there.

16. Karrie and Maverick

No cheese cloth won't do it. I bought a strainer from walmart or a kitchen or hardware type store. Its like a tea leaf strainer. I'll post a pic in a moment of something similar.

I would blend the maxcal with some warm water then pour some into the strainer and bang it against the edge of the tupperware I was holding the strained food in. Just keep banging till it was strained and then I'd rinse the strainer under water so it was cleared of the grit. Then repeat until all the maxcal was strained. I did two cans at a time - enough for one days worth. Maverick needed a can and a half to maintain his weight when he had his surgery. So I would prefill all his syringes and when I needed to feed him I'd stand them in a cup of warm water ten minutes before tube feeding time so they were warmed up. Cold food can make them feel sick and vomit up a feeding.

Its like this little one - 3". You can get larger ones. Its fine mesh - you can use a spoon to help the food through:
    [​IMG]. Its in with the utensils at the grocery store also.

17. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Aw, Sid...you are just the most darling guy!

I have to say, I agree with Ella...I was scared to click on the video, but he looks so much better than I feared.

Please hang in there Sweet Sid...we are all pulling for you to turn the corner and feel so much better.

Sending prayers, vines, snowflakes and lots of love to you and Mama bean!

The Idaho Chapter of the Sid Fan Club

18. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Sid does have the most adorable little chirp, he is so cute in his vet video and was obviously so happy to be with you. I'm glad he's being treated at home with you now and hoping that the fluids will flush those ketones before he can go DKA again.

19. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Lydia - I am so sorry. I so hope that the ketones don't become an issue. Our paws are crossed for you. I think you have done so well with him. I don't know of anyone that could do better. I am glad that he is home. He will be happy there. I thoroughly enjoyed the video - what a sweet kitty. All of it brought back such memories for me, with my BJ. Sid has the cutest bandage for his eTube. I will be thinking of you, wish you the best. be well Sid.

20. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Many prayers are still coming your way.....

21. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Oh Lydia...we are so sorry to hear this and we are sending mega healing vines, white light, and snowflakes to the wonderful Sid with the adorable mew!!

22. Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA)

Thank you everyone! The vines and snowflakes are so appreciated.

I do have to say that I am very thankful for all of your good advice. It is really sad and disturbing how questionable some of the advice I've received from the vets has been. My vet actually told me that Sid's bg spikes up from the karo syrup but not from any reaction in his liver. He is also the one who told me it is fine to give him 1u of R insulin. Also, that I should be giving Sid his injections in the muscle to ensure consistency. Now that is all fine for him to say as he gives an injection in the muscle while a vet tech holds onto Sid. Unfortunately I don't have anyone to hold Sid down for me even if I did think that giving an injection in the muscle would help.

We are back on the roller coaster. High bg all night last night and today and now Sid is pulling his usual dive and is dropping by about 100 pts an hour. I'm going to stop it though before we get too low instead of waiting until he is too low and then trying to fix it. I just really hope we don't have to make a trip to the emergency vet. I just gave him another 1/4 can of food along with a bit of HC gravy. It will spike him up a bit but I am trying to avoid another hypo episode and then tomorrow him being Hi all day. Wish me luck. I really don't want to make another trip to the emergency vet.

Karrie - I have a tea strainer just like that. Now I just have to figure out how to get a prescription for Max Cal on a Sunday. thank you for the advice!!

23. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Lydia --

Let him eat HC food if that will help to offset the effect of the insulin. Both food and insulin are important when it comes to managing ketones. If you use HC, it will buffer the effect of insulin dropping his numbers and will be out of his system fairly quickly.

24. mybuddybinks

We're sending every bit of luck we can find!

25. MikeysMom

MikeysMom Well-Known Member

Mikey and I are sending hugs and vines!

26. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

he looks great in the video! and i was forced to watch him play with his spider too. :lol:

sending healing prayers for sid. you're doing such a great job taking care of him, lydia. hang in there.

27. Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA)

Oh yes I remember the spider. Sid used to be so playful and active until all this bad stuff started happening. (The spider survived - I put it in the garden. I wouldn't have let Sid kill it.) :smile:

I let him eat some HC food but it has been almost 2 hours he is still dropping so I had to give him some karo syrup. Worse than his numbers is the lethargy. I'm keeping a close eye on him.

28. Randa & Mookie

Randa & Mookie Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting the video, Lydia! I wanted so very much to see him. Sending you and Sid strength and love.

29. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

Prayers and healing vines coming for both you and Sid from Muffin and me. You're doing a wonderful job taking care of him.

30. Cini Mini's Mom

Cini Mini's Mom Well-Known Member

AAwww (((hugs))))

Both Cini and I are sending good thoughts Sid's way.

31. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I thought he looked pretty good in the video, walking around and happy to see you :smile: I'm glad the spider lived, too.
    I'm continuing to send the strongest of healing white light and snowflakes and vines to Sid. Keep fighting, Sid.

32. Karrie and Maverick

Sending hugs for you and Sid today.

[​IMG]

33. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

snowflakes and healing vines for Sid tonight ((((hugs))

34. Melissa and Bailey

Melissa and Bailey Well-Known Member

I hope Sid is feeling better today, and I hope you got some rest - have to take care of yourself too. Hugs and thank you for thinking of us and stopping by our condo with all that you have going on!

I thought he looked pretty good in the video too, and that sweet little meow! cat_pet_icon He was actually pretty gentle with that spider. :lol:

35. mybuddybinks

Just stopping by to send hugs, scritches, and healing thoughts...

We lubs ya, Sid!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.