3/11 Sasha AMPS 468 +6 R+1 318 R+2 363 R+3 307 R+4 373

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sasha&Tara, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sasha&Tara

Sasha&Tara Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=65853

Thank you, THANK YOU, LLEF for sending me a ketone meter, that means a lot to me! It will be reassuring to know I can check for ketones on the spot, and it will give me peace of mind! I really need that, I've been losing my mind a little lately!!! Big Hugs to you all.

Sasha woke up with high BG this AM, so I used .5 R to get him down. He's come down nicely. I am now feeding him 3/4 Wellness with 1/4 FF with Gravy and he's accepting it a little better. He's a sleepy boy today, but still ketone negative!

I was just looking over the paperwork from the ER vet that I picked up yesterday. It mentions a diagnosis of Pancreatitis, which I was never told about. While he was in the ER hospital for DKA, I spoke with the vet over the phone regarding his ultrasound report and she said "Oh, his pancreas is a little inflammed" and shrugged it off. Now I am looking online to try to learn about pancreatitis and I'm reading it can be very painful. :cry: Anyone here know anything more in detail about pancreatitis? Is it common in diabetics and is there a treatment?

Thanks
    Tara

2. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Re: 3/11 Sasha AMPS 468 L+3/R+3 333 L+4/R+4 313 +5 341

Good job this morning.

Go ahead and give Sasha another 0.5uR at +6.

I don't have p-titis experience but there are many others here that do.

3. Sasha&Tara

Sasha&Tara Member

Okay Sandy, thanks!!!

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

There are a couple of issues regarding pancreatitis. First, ultrasound is an OK way of diagnosing but it's not definitive. The reliability of the results rests largely on how good the person doing the ultrasound is. There is a blood test, the spec fPLI, that is typically done for diagnosis. However, the blood test is accurate only if the episode of pancreatitis is occurring at the time.

This is a post on pancreatitis from a previous incarnation of this board. The person who wrote it is a vet tech. It doesn't sound like Sasha is having any problems with nausea so I don't know if Pepsid is indicated. Can you tell if Sasha seems like he's in pain? P'titis is incredibly painful and I didn't get a sense that Sasha was uncomfortable. I'm also including a link to a clinical roundtable on p'titis. It includes a great deal of information.

Given the accuracy of the information you've been getting, I'd be somewhat skeptical of this diagnosis. When Gabby was diagnoses, she also spent several days on the kitty ICU but they sent out the labs in order to make sure the diagnoses were confirmed. (You may want to give some thought to finding a better vet.)

5. Sasha&Tara

Sasha&Tara Member

Re: 3/11 Sasha AMPS 468 L+4/R+4 313 +5 341 +6 R+1 318

Thank you Sienne for the info! I am ABSOLUTELY going to find a better vet. This paperwork was given to me by the ER hospital that is supposed to be "state of the art" that every one raves about, even the other veternarians. That was the 5000 dollar vet
    Sasha doesnt seem to be in pain at all. He is sleepier than usual but thankfully eating a lot. I will check out that link. I was googling Pancreatitis and getting a lot of mixed information.Thanks again.

6. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

glad to see sasha's come down a bit with the R - hopefully this will hold him down for the rest of the cycle and he can start the next one with a better range.

yay on the ketone meter! you're doing a great job, tara.

7. Sasha&Tara

Sasha&Tara Member

Thank you Julie!!!! :D Kiss Punkin for me!!!

8. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Re: 3/11 Sasha AMPS 468 L+4/R+4 313 +5 341 +6 R+1 318 R+2 3

[​IMG]

:D

9. Sasha&Tara

Sasha&Tara Member

OMG How cute!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I gotta share that one Julie!

10. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Tara, glad to hear Sasha is eating and doesn't seem to be in pain. Looking good, too with the R and cycle. I hope you can find a better Vet in your area. I've gone thru two Vets before finding a good one for Maggie. Have a nice Sunday.

11. Sasha&Tara

Sasha&Tara Member

Re: 3/11 Sasha AMPS 468+ +5 341 +6 R+1 318 R+2 363 R+3 301 R

Hi Ann! I definitely will find another vet! You have a great day too, thanks!!! :smile:

12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Re: 3/11 Sasha AMPS 468+ +5 341 +6 R+1 318 R+2 363 R+3 307 R

Oh come on Sasha!!!! You are almost in yellow...DO IT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

How much food has he consumed so far today?

How is he feeling/behaving today?

Tara, has Sasha ever had a proper dental cleaning?

14. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Hey Tara.. Just wondering how it's going tonight...no updated numbers on your SS. Did Sasha get fluids today?

Everything ok?

15. Sasha&Tara

Sasha&Tara Member

Hi, everyone I had to run out yesterday a couple of times.. and then back to the grind so I had to be in bed early..

Sandy, no he's never had a dental cleaning.. he ate about 15 oz yesterday

Marje, almost in the yellows but back in black this AM :cry:

I have to leave for work at 7 AM, he's very high today... I will check him again at 7. I hate leaving him. Am going to try to run home on lunch.

16. Violet and Garland

Violet and Garland Well-Known Member

We love our Ketone meter. Its such a great tool to have! Just coming out of DKA its best to check everyday for at least a week. As long as her numbers stay down you can start to put more time between tests (those strips are kinda expensive) and start to incorporate the urine ketostix.

My kitty is ketone prone, so that means she gets them pretty often. When Garland is healthy with negative ketones, my normal routine is: i use the urine strips a couple times a week (if I can catch her in the box) and then I always do one meter check every week. If I see a number of concern (ie: usually over 1.0) I will use the meter again the next day to see if they are rising or falling. If that number is lower than before (ie: like 0.4) then I will go back to using urine strips. If the number is higher (ie: 1.4) then I will start watering down her food a bit, see if she needs an insulin increase and check again the next day, until its under 1.0.

One great thing about Garland is I can usually tell from her behavior how her ketones are doing. Anytime I notice a change I whip out my meter to get an exact reading on whats going on. Her first signs of a rise in high ketones are pickiness with food.

Ive also noticed that its rare she is at 0.0. With my meter "negative" is 0.0- 1.6. So dont be concerned when you see a number like 0.7 sometimes. 1.6 and up is when its considered trace and higher. She starts acting "sick" when she gets up in the 3.0+ range. Thats usually when I have to start SQ fluids. But if I notice a number higher than 1.0, but still under the 1.6, I will start doing things to prevent them from getting any higher.

I know Im rambling, I hope this makes sense LOL

Good luck! If you have any ketone meter questions let me know!! You are doing fabulous!! So happy to hear Sasha is ketone negative!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.