3/19 Kitty PMPS 90 (0.1u), +1 74, +3 59, +10.5 83

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by worldtraveller, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

Good morning!

Kitty did it again - another AMPS record, now 90. :mrgreen:

To shoot or not to shoot? I cannot stay all day with him to watch him. Shooting time in 30 minutes

2. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

3. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Re: 3/19 Kitty AMPS 90 NEED ADVISE ON DOSE!!

well, kitty kitty kitty. someone's in a hurry.

hang on. don't feed while you wait for an answer.

you shot .25 last night and now this is morning, right?

4. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Kitty hasn't earned a reduction again. So your options are:

1. Stall for as long as you can and shoot as he is coming up IF you can get at least a +2 and leave out MC food if his +2 is not higher than his AMPS.

2. Shoot just a tiny dose on time...such as .1u, get sn out the door tedt,and leave out some MC food.

3. Skip

Which option works best for you? Remember that stalling acts as a dose reduction but because of the cumulative nature of lantus, he could still have some lower numbers today.

5. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Well lots of greens yesterday! We had a similar situation this morning at 85 and opted to skip and he's still in the greens and we skipped again...

All kitties are different, and I definitely haven't been here long enough to advise, so I will defer to the experts.

Moscow! Wow! :mrgreen:

6. julie & punkin (ga)

i just want to double-check - is it tomorrow morning that you leave for the next trip? so you've got this morning and tonight still at home?

7. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

Thanks for quick replies.

yesterday morning the dose was 0.5u, and lowered it to 0.25u for the evening.
    Now AMPS is 90. All the food was finished in the morning, both kitties were pretty hungry. thus, gave the food already to Kitty who ate just a little (not much at all) ---- again, not the right move from my side not to think through not to give any food, again, sigh...

I am thinking if I can make arrangements to stay until +2 this morning.

in any case, travelling ahead from Tue evening so tomorrow need to decide the dosing for 4 days...

8. Marje and Gracie

Julie and I have been talking....maybe it would be safest for you to skip since you can't be there to monitor and if there is another kitty there who might eat the food. If its impossible for you to get home mid cycle....you should probably skip.

9. julie & punkin (ga)

if you can get a +2 that would make it safer to shoot . . .

marjorie laid out some options for you - what would you like to do? we're talking about your vacation dose. kitty has incredible timing! :lol:

10. julie & punkin (ga)

heehee we talk and we post at the same time.

not a bad option to skip. then you can go to work and not worry. your choice.

eta - the reason marje is saying that Kitty didn't earn a dose decrease is because we would ordinarily not decrease the dose until we saw a less than 50 nadir. sometimes you make adjustments to that to accommodate the situation - like no one home to monitor.

11. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

I think I can be here for +2 testing, but have to leave after that and won't be back until later in the evening.

Kitty's progress has been absolutely fantastic after changing to wet food only and he seems to be in a hurry to get rid of the shots! Just too bad I have all the business travel right now when he would need closer monitoring!!!

12. julie & punkin (ga)

can you take the 911 off of your post? i still have a heart *bump* every time i see it! :lol:

13. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

Taken 911 off now :)

I'll take a shower now and think through what to do.... Maybe I will try 0.1u dose, if I can measure it ;-)

14. Marje and Gracie

Thank you! If you think you might want to shoot the .1u, be sure you test first and make sure he is rising. If he's not, I would absolutely skip.

15. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

Well well.... His BG is now 86, down from 90 45 minutes ago even though he a little bit of LC canned food.

I guess we'll skip this morning shot... Will do another test in 30 minutes just for the heck of it. Poor Kitty :D

16. Marje and Gracie

Thats pretty much the same number but he's not rising so without a good rising number ,skipping sounds safe.

17. julie & punkin (ga)

in a way, this might be a good thing, mia. if he is able to hold his own BG down today, that will give us some information about tomorrow and your petsitter plans.

18. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

Thanks Julie and Marje for your amazing support and advise again!!
    cat_pet_icon

19. julie & punkin (ga)

:mrgreen:

20. Marje and Gracie

Agree with Julie. :mrgreen:

21. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

Re: 3/19 Kitty AMPS 90 SKIP SHOT +2.3=77

A quick update.... it was the right thing to skip the shot. He is still dropping, now 77 at +2.3 ...

22. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

Re: 3/19 Kitty AMPS 90 SKIP SHOT +2.3=77 QUESTION

BTW - should I be worried that his BG is still dropping even though I did not give a shot?

23. julie & punkin (ga)

Re: 3/19 Kitty AMPS 90 SKIP SHOT 2.3=77

welllllll - i think that means that his pancreas is responding to the food you gave him a couple of hours ago. actually that's exactly what we want to see in a cat that's going off of insulin.

just fyi - he can drop into low numbers now without you being worried. a cat can't become hypoglycemic without having a shot.

very interesting. :mrgreen: mr green is watching kitty tonight. :lol:

24. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

Re: 3/19 Kitty AMPS +12 90/SKIP SHOT/+14.3=77 / +23 = 115

Good evening LL!

Just came home, and Kitty's BG at +23 is now 115. After the test, he now had a little bit to eat (did not realize to put the left overs from the day on the counter....).

So, my friends, any good advise what to shoot? or not to shoot?
    I am home to shoot him only tonight and tomorrow morning, and then from Tuesday evening until Saturday evening a pet sitter will be looking after him. Thus, need to think through what dose advise to give to the pet sitter... Or perhaps I should take Kitty with me to Istanbul? :D

25. julie & punkin (ga)

well - there's no reason at all not to shoot the .25 dose he had and monitor him to see what happens. i think that's what i would do.

tomorrow morning after you shoot, will you be able to get any tests in? i'm just thinking if you could return to the normal dose for your remaining shots til you leave - that would help us figure out what to do while you're gone.

i'm sorry to be so non-committal and not address your question about the dose while you're gone, but you can see how every 12 hr cycle kitty's situation can change.

26. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

Yes, I am thinking to give 0.25u tonight - or well, let's see what the PS BG is, Kitty can surprise us all :mrgreen:

Tomorrow morning I will not be able to get any tests after the AM shot, but would stop at home around +8 before heading to the airport. With Kitty's curves, that may not be much helpful... The time to watch him is around +2 - +4....

27. julie & punkin (ga)

normally the fact that he ate at +11 off your counter (silly kitter - nothing is safe at our house either) that would make you expect the pmps to be higher because of food influence.

if his BG is lower than 115, it *might* indicate that his pancreas has put out some insulin to work on the food carbs. this isn't an area that i know a ton about, though.

28. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

Further thinking ahead ---- from my practical logic point of view what are the dose options when I am out:
    1. continue with 0.25u BID - risk that he may go very low on BG if his pancreas continues to heal as it has been?
    2. give 0.1u BID - interesting to teach to pet sitter remotely how to measure this...
    3. no shots - pros / cons?
    4. shoot only AMs or PMs - pros / cons?

It would be actually great if I could mimic this plan already tonight so that I would feel comfortable to see what his readings are tomorrow. If I only tomorrow decide what the plan is, then I don't know how he reacts.

.... I wish I did not have to travel, but my bosses would wonder if I said that my reason for not travelling would be "diabetic cat insulin injection issues".... :lol:

29. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

I did atest at +23.5, just to see where his BG readings are going after the little food intake.... he is now down from 115 to 101 in 30 minutes!

30. julie & punkin (ga)

Re: 3/19 Kitty AMPS +12 90/SKIP SHOT/+23 115/+23.5 101

ummmmm

actually when you said "take him to Istanbul with me" i thought "PERFECT!"

i'd like to get some others' input into this. why don't you get another test at +24 and post it. let's see what the little guy does.

31. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

Yup, will test in 15 minutes. Boy, this is interesting!

32. julie & punkin (ga)

believe me, 50 people are watching your condo and wishing they had your problem! :lol:

enjoy this!!! :mrgreen:

33. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

Re: 3/19 Kitty AMPS +12 90/SKIP SHOT/+23 115/+24 90

BELIEVE OR NOT - KITTY'S BG AT +24 is 90!! He was eating at +23 and his BG has decreased since then!!!!!
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

to shoot or not?

34. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Whoo hoo, have been lurking and watching this is fantastic!!

35. julie & punkin (ga)

mmmmmm - we're facing the same set of choices as last night.

sienne's suggesting a 0.1 for while you travel. it's very hard to know what to suggest that is ideal. kitty keeps changing the game plan!

you'll have to make the choice, but i guess i were going to be around for the next few hours to catch today's nadir, i'd probably shoot the .25 and see what happens.

if you're not comfy with that, or not going to be around, you could shoot the 0.1 or skip.

it's a case that i don't feel comfortable just telling you outright what to do.

36. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

I just gave Kitty a tiny tiny dose - let's pretend it was 0.1 (REALLY hard to measure!) :mrgreen:

I want to see how he reacts to this, if any. I am just starting to have a good feeling about Kitty's pancreas healing, or not only a feeling, his BG readings are showing that also.

To be perfectly honest, I am a bit concerned to give any dose when I am not here. Kitty's numbers have been improving so well so I want to be on the safe side. Would it be stupid if not to give shots at all when I am gone ? OR if to give e.g. 0.25u just once a day?

37. julie & punkin (ga)

that's a good question. he is making a lot of progress.

i don't think i would give insulin once a day - i don't like that option. there have been unusual circumstances where people have done that, but without him being tested you wouldn't know what was happening. we do know that lantus is a cumulative insulin, we know that kitties have a fast metabolism and need shots twice a day.

let's hope some others weigh in with advice today for you.

38. julie & punkin (ga)

another thought - mia, after this trip are you traveling again anytime soon? or will you be home for a while?

39. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

Good question on my travels ... Nothing planned at this stage, but may do a quick trip towards end of next week. I am hoping I would be home at least 5 consecutive days after this next trip :cool:

It is so interesting to be in this situation - first Kitty getting so well all of a sudden, combined with my unusually high travel season. Good problem to have, I guess, but I also want to keep my head cool and do what is the safest for Kitty's health.

40. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

Re: 3/19 Kitty PMPS 90 (0.1u), +1 74

Here we go again ---- after the tiny tiny dose, Kitty's BG 74 at +1 :mrgreen:

41. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

Re: 3/19 Kitty PMPS 90 (0.1u), +1 74, +2 61

Green man strikes again - now +2 61 :mrgreen:

With these numbers, I am thinking not to give any dose to Kitty when I am travelling.........

42. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

Re: 3/19 Kitty PMPS 90 (0.1u), +1 74, +2 61, +3 59

Recap of today:

AMPS 90, skip shot, ate LC wet food
    +14 77
    +23 115, ate LC wet food
    +24 90, PM dose reduction to 0.1u
    +1 74
    +2 61
    +3 59
    +3.5 65

It's getting late here so going to bed now. I'm sure tomorrow morning's readings will be interesting, and then time to decide what to do with dosing for the rest of the week.

Good night, LL!

- mia

43. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Re: 3/19 Kitty PMPS 90 (0.1u), +1 74, +2 61, +3 59, +3.5 65

I think I would be too scared to give Kitty any insulin while you are away and there is no one to monitor. I'm not sure how many shots you are away for but recently (and Vyktor was not in the shape that he's in now then) I was away for 2 shots and elected to miss because no one could monitor. The worst that can happen is that Kitty's numbers have gone back up while you're away and you start over with a small dose again. Kitty will get back on track. The worst that can happen if he gets the insulin and it's too much I don't want to think about - that's just MHO.

44. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

Good Morning World!

We are waking up to another green start, now at +10.5 Kitty is 83.

The way this is going, I think I will have to opt for no dose when I am gone. He will miss 9 cycles while I am gone, but seeing even how much 0.1u made a difference, I think it is safest to skip the shots. And who knows, perhaps I come back to green numbers? That would be a dream, but Kitty has surprised us in the past few days... Mentally I need to be prepared to see at least yellows again :)

45. julie & punkin (ga)

mia, i think that's the safest thing too.

have a great trip and make sure you let us know when you get back. i know i'll be curious!

46. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

Re: 3/19 Kitty PMPS 90 (0.1u), +1 74, +3 59, +10.5 83 QUESTI

Hmmm - should I shoot tiny dose (0.1u) this AM if his BG is still low? I will have to leave right after the dose and be back in about 6-7 hours, so cannot mpnitor (but could leave HC food out as safety net?)

47. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Hey Kitty!

You look good in green! :mrgreen:

Tanya

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.