4/ 26 Ella +6=394,+11 300 pmps 313

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by tpr, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

2. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Re: 4/ 26 Ella +11 50

If you have to go to work today I don't think I would shoot either, chances are you will come home to a horrible humber like yesterday morning though. If you do you should probably 'shoot through the bounce' at 1U before taking the reduction to 0.75 that she earned last night. See what others have to say though you've got plenty of time until then :smile:

I can't believe what she did after I went to bed the other night (your day)!!! I had been sure she would earn a reduction and was a bit disappointed that she hadn't and then she went and did it!!!

3. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Re: 4/ 26 Ella +11 50 +11.5=50

+11.5 =50

She was starving and purring hard. Gave her 1 tbsp of lc with 1 tsp mc.
    I will not be shooting her this morning. I also need to re -evaluate what is going to realistically work for my life. I've only slept 2 hours and I can't take another day off of work. Perhaps I need to lower her dose to something more safe to get us through to the weekend where I can monitor again. I know she will go high today but I have faith she will come back down.

4. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

I know Serryn. it was nuts! Knowing how fast she can come out of it, I feel better not too shoot as i can't come home to check on her.

5. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, I just caught up with Ella's yesterday condo, amazing kitty! This girl is wanting less insulin! I sure hope you can get thru work okay with lots of coffee. You did an awesome job again and wonderful helpers and lots of us watching. Take care.

6. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Hi Ann,

I'm caffeine free so not sure how I will get through the day. Hopefully my students will be good to me.
    Very lucky to have people with me all evening:)

7. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

No caffeine yet, huh! Yes, everyone is wonderful here. You must be so tired or getting thru on adrenaline.

8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm late getting on the board this morning. J.D. had me up last night.

I'm glad you decided to skip the shot this moring. I think that is a wise move.

I hope you have a good day, even though you're tired.

9. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Re: 4/ 26 Ella +11 50 +11.5=50 +12=41

gave her HC....I really hope she will be ok with me leaving.
    The insulin could take 16 hours to get out of her system. At this point I've gotten her to eat 2/8 of food, one with mc, one with hc. Typically we wouldn't want to get her full but she needs to get full before I leave. Testing again in a few. She's a very slow eater so by the time she finishes it's time for another test and according to the rule, if she's low I must feed again. ohmygod_smile

10. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

11:16= 50 gave lc with 1tsp mc
    11:41=50 gave nothing but probably should have
    12.15 =41 gave her hc with lc
    12.38=39 gave her shot of hc gravy

11. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Re: 4/ 26 Ella +11 50 +11.5=50+12:38=39 (suggestions)

I'm going to stall my departure time unitl 8:15am so that I can get Ella up to some sort of safe number. What number do people think this might be. I read on the how to handle low numbers page that one might have to monitor for 16 hours.

12. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I would think that if you could get her surfing in the 70s and 80s, to low 90s, that would be fine. You will be leaving her with a bunch of food, right?

Come on up some, Ella girl.

13. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

I will leave food but i'm not confident she will eat it. She is at 45 +1. I will give her some more hc and lc.
    Should i leave the hc out for her?

14. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Jeepers Ella the insulin just lasts and lasts in her!! You want to see two rising numbers that aren't influenced by food.

ETA: too slow to beat Dyana again :lol:

15. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I would make that decision when you see her +2, or before you leave the house. I would say, if she's 60 or below, you can leave some HC out for her.

16. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I like to see three rising numbers, but that just may be my opinion.
    Off to get ready for tbp..

17. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

well it will be impossible to see to rising numbers not influenced by food b/c i'm feeding her every 20 minutes and I have to leave in 45 minutes. I haven't given syrup yet. Will try that next.

18. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If you didn't shoot, there isn't a problem with her numbers dropping overly low. What you are most likely seeing is Ella's pancreas kicking in as it would do normally in response to food. Get another test to see if numbers are rising.

I'll try to check back in a bit. I'm trying to get ready for work.

19. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

+1:25= 55.
    The last time i tested I gave her lc with some hc but couldn't get the gravy out so tried to give her the solid. she just licked around the flakes so I'm not too sure how much hc she got. should i give her more lc and syrup before I leave. Leaving hime in 45 minutes.

20. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Tamara,
    I'm glad that you are skipping the shot this morning. I agree that Ella needs to be reevaluated with regard to dose. As regards this morning, I think that you should leave plenty of food out, but I really don't know which kind. If she won't eat the hc food, but just the gravy, then use your lc and put syrup in it. As Sienne says, if you didn't shoot she'll be OK today.
    I'll be around all morning.
    I hope you can stay awake for your students today! Maybe some 5-hour energy drink?

Ella & Rusty

21. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Thanks Ella and Sienne:)

She is now +1:50 66

I will try feeding her more lc as she still has 2/8 to go to finish her morning meal.

22. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Don't worry if she doesn't eat it all right now. She probably is full. Just leave out enough for her so that she can nibble until you get home. I guess you will have to keep her in a room by herself because of your other kitties.

We'll be thinking of you as you go about your day. Ella will probably sleep all day. Don't worry about her. This evening I expect that the experienced dosing people will put together a new dosing strategy for Ella. Make sure that you request this in your subject heading later today.

You are doing a fine job, Tamara.

Ella & Rusty

23. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Hi Ella,

she dropped to 61. should i give her lc with mc or just lc?

24. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Is the mc something that she will eat? If so, I would mix the mc with the lc. If it's like the hc, and she won't eat the pieces, just the gravy, then I would put out the lc and put some syrup in it. You want her to eat. That's the bottom line.

25. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

66 and 61 are pretty much the same number. Remember, there's up to 20% meter variance. Leave food. If you're nervous, give her a bit of HC before you go and leave both MC and LC out.

26. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Wow! Way to go Ella! I would definitely leave out some MC.

27. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Glad to see your wise decision to skip and leave lots of food.
    You were right to know that all today's numbers are food influenced, so useless for basing a dose.

After the last few days, especially last nite and into this morn, Ella is likely feeling lousy like she ate the entire contents of the candy store and will sleep off her belly ache. She will eat when she feels the need.

I hope you have a decent day today considering your caffeine levels and hectic nite.
    Let's hope that Ella feels 'up' to a .75u shot tonite.

28. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

DANG, Ella.... :eek:
    I agree it's time to re-evaluate. I'd consider not shooting (or shoot a minimal dose like 0.25U) for your own sanity. A few days of not-great numbers won't harm her. Then you can start over again on Friday PM and monitor over the weekend, assuming you'll be around.

I think Ella is the first sugarcat to show a REVERSE bounce. High numbers, then *SPLAT*. Mindblowing.

MJ

29. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Hi Tamara!
    I just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you guys today and hope that rest will be in your future real soon. You are amazing!

One thing I was wondering if you could clarify, because it kind of gets spit out there in the midst of all these low numbers...

Is it common for Ella to NOT eat when you are gone? Is this how things were before the food change, or did she graze on kibble while you were out?

Are you still only able to get her to eat food off a spoon, or is she eating out of a bowl on her own?

Is LC wet the only food she will eat (other than kibble)?

I ask these questions because a lot of people have cats who are hoovers. They can count on the cat to eat when they get low. So, shooting lower numbers may not be too scary, and even safe. When you have a cat who will not eat reliably, or needs to be assist fed then it is really important to be more cautious when making a decision to shoot and how much. I say this based on experience with a cat who would not eat reliably, was often assist fed, and vomited frequently (which lowered her BG most of the time). ECID, and sometimes we have to adjust how we manage insulin needs due to the cats issues (concurrent illness, eating habits, behavior, etc).

I also wonder if the effects of the diet change are starting to take effect now. It really has not been that long...3 weeks? I might second MJ's suggestion of dropping the dose WAY down, or even taking another break and starting fresh for the weekend. As its always been said, it's much easier to work your way UP the dosing scale than down.

I'm sure you will receive a great deal of help and support for this evening. I know you will make the best decision based on what you feel is safest for Ella...and YOU! :mrgreen:

:YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

30. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!

I barely made it though the day. I'm pretty much ready to face plant into my bed if I can make it there:)

Greg cancelled an appt so that I could have the car and I whizzed home during my lunch and prep period to see how she was doing. Poor Ella is in the high pinks...maybe even red as I didn't put it in the conversion chart. She looked so uncomfortable:( I gave her a big kiss and apologized that I had to leave her in that state but promised I would get her back to the lagoon as soon and safely as possible.

Carolyn,

Thanks for your post:) If you look at the SS you can see when Ella got transitioned to wet food. Prior to the switch she was on 3 u a day on dry kibble. When we switched we dropped her down to 1u which didn't quite work to control her numbers and a few cycles later she earned her increase. With these low numbers I'm assuming her pancreas is beginning to work again?! :)

The first week or so she ate the wet food with vigour and then began to get fussy with it. At one point I took her to the vet as I thought she might have pancreatitis again but the vet suggested she may have a virus (mild uri) which is causing her to turn her nose up at the food. Ever since she needs a kick start to eat. I need to syringe a bit in her mouth and then she will start eating out of the bowl but she often needs encouragment. The other day she was very hungry and only needed little encourgement so I'm hoping she would help herself if needed. I can't be certain though. Yesterday she ate a bit less than usual which may have accounted for her low bg but I'm not too sure. When she was eating diabetic dry she was fed at specific times of the day. Back in the day, she was free fed but since we've had fosters we can't leave out food as they will just eat her portion. She never turned her food up at kibble...she was an addict!
    Could it take 3 or more weeks for a diet to settle in? I really don't know what's going on but she definitely prefers the greens:)

31. Daphne#5 GA

Daphne#5 GA Well-Known Member

Wow Tamara, what a week you have had. I can't even imagine,... even one or two nights of low greens can put me in bed for days. I've been following your condo, but I really can't give much advice, but I can see you are doing a great job along with all the wonderful LL folks.

I'll continue to send vines and positive energy for the both of you.

32. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

Hi Tamara,

I hope you're hanging in there okay and had a chance to nap at least. I've been following since yesterday but you had your hands full so didn't want to distract. I can't believe how long the insulin lasts Ella but I would seriously think about a decrease as I'm sure the pros will advise.

I really can empathize with those eating problems! It makes it so much harder to control them and to leave them on their own! I hope Ella's bounce is a short one and have confidence a dose that works for both of you will be found.

Melanie & Racci

33. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Just got home and got an interesting number. At +6 ella was 394 and at +11 she is 300. She is a bit hyper and playful, chasing her tail so is looking much better than when I saw her at lunch. I thought for sure she would still be high or even higher! I'm wondering what people think the dosing should be for tonight?
    If I'm shooting I'd like to do so by 6:15pm:) That gives me the time I need inthe morning to get a +1 and feed appropriately.

34. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Re: 4/ 26 Ella +6=394,+11 300 (seeking dosing advice)

plus she's starving!!!!

I suspect she will be a bit lower at pmps because she is hungry.

35. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I thought the new dose was going to be 0.75.
    Sorry, I did not read your condo, last night. I'll take a look at your ss, now. brb.

36. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

It looks to me, like you can try the 0.75. It may be too maybe reductions and skipping/shed draining in a row, and you may have to go back up, but I would try the 0.75 and see how she does.

37. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

Still leaning toward a lower dose, like ~0.5U. Can't predict what this crazy girl is going to do, but she's given you several scary dives, so not a bad idea to back off and let her numbers hang a little higher instead.

MJ

38. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Dyana,

can you please clarify the shed draining. I'm really nervous to dose her as I really need my sleep tonight.

39. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

we talked about it some in back channels and thought .75u was probably ok. by skipping this morning, the shed would've drained some and you probably are ok tonight with the .75u.

40. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

and what would happen if I shot .5? I'm a wee bit worried about the morning numbers.

41. julie & punkin (ga)

lantus builds up in the body - that's what gives it the nice even numbers - and then slow-releases. the size of the shed (build-up) in the body is somewhat correlated to the size of the dose. so when you've skipped a shot, that build up is somewhat used up. not entirely though - it can take several cycles for it to entirely "drain." you don't want that to happen though.

going by what happened when you skipped the last shot, it took her another cycle + to drop back into green numbers. you've skipped a cycle and are reducing the shot. if ella is fast-tracking for dose reductions then you would probably see it tomorrow, based upon what she's been doing.

you don't want to reduce too much at once - you've already given a double-whammy with a skipped shot and then a reduced dose if you go to .75u.

does that make sense? i don't think you're going to see much tonight - maybe tomorrow, but then we can address the morning dose if necessary so you can go off to work.

all of this intensive time right now is paying off big time. you see where ella's going, don't you? you're going to be very lucky here before long.

42. julie & punkin (ga)

just saw your last question.

you could reduce in the morning if you are confronted with a low amps.

43. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

ok going to shoot now:)

44. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

I hope we're lucky Julie...the tears are welling up in my eyes just thinking about it. I shot the .75. Should I get a +1 and +2?

45. julie & punkin (ga)

oh, i wish i could give you a big hug.

i'd probably get a +2. i really think ella is on a mission and you're going to be done with all of this in no time. antijinx. i shouldn't say it, but i know you're tired and want to encourage you. if you see a number in the morning that scares you, skip the shot again. some cats come screaming down the dosing scale and it might be ella's one of them.

and your comment earlier about pancreas - yes, i think this means her pancreas is healing. all of the time she spends under 120 is when the healing is going on. that's why we don't want to overcarb her, just keep her high enough to be safe.

i'm around this evening and will stay with you. i would encourage you to sleep when you need to and set the alarm. i always suggest to my son (who is a heavy sleeper) to put the alarm on loud + vibrate and set it in a pie pan so it's really loud. it also helps me wake up if i don't go to bed, just crash on the sofa and leave the light on in the living room.

oh - and did you shoot at :45 or so? tell me what time and i'll check back with you in 2 hrs.

46. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Hi Julie,

I shot at :45...a bit later than I'd like to for safety purposes but if she's high in the morning I imagine I can pull back 15 minutes?!
    Setting the phone (my alarm) in a pan is a good idea. I will do that. I must have been so deep in sleep!

I hope she doesn't pull any fast ones tonight as I really don't know how I'd deal with it. Carolyn brought up a good point about being cautious with a finicky eater. She was starving for food tonight as she didn't get her +9 snack and she still didn't eat on her own. I left her with the bowl to see and she went at it for a bit but then refused until I spoon fed her. What's up with that? It makes me concerned about leaving her on her own.

47. julie & punkin (ga)

carolyn is absolutely right about that - a finicky eater that we can't trust to eat on her own is a really good reason not to just leave her in the morning and hope that she'll eat. it was a very good reason for skipping today.

ok, i'll see you in an hr & 45min.

48. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

The only concern I have at the moment is that if we get a high number in the morning that seems good to shoot but then plummets after I'm out the door. I was fortunate to be home the night of the 25th when she presented with the 295 and then took a big dive down to +2. I won't be able to get a +2 tomorrow.
    Sorry just thinking ahead to possibilities....I like to be prepared:)

49. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I'm stll out and about but will be around and can also stay up late if need be.

50. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hi Tamara. I feel for you. I know how you feel. You're very tired, and you're scared. I still remember what that feels like. I even feel something like that, still sometimes. I'm just used to it more, now.
    I'll be here for you in the morning, and I'll be gentle with you. I promise :YMHUG: hugs.

51. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Re: 4/ 26 Ella +6=394,+11 300 pmps 313+1.5=266+2=324

Oh man..she was meowing and hyper so I did a bg at +1:15 and she dropped to 266. That's 47 points! I REALLY hope she slows down!

52. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

If I could catch the next plane to you (and bring J.D. with me, of course), I would, just to ease your fears, and help you out.

53. julie & punkin (ga)

remember that meters can have a variance of 20% - so 300-360-240 - all not too terribly dissimilar. don't panic.

you are in control of her numbers. you have high carb syrup and know how to use it. ;-)

got a +2 yet?

54. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Re: 4/ 26 Ella +6=394,+11 300 pmps 313 +1.5=266+2=324

Ok so that's weird...she went back up at +2 to 324. Please explain that to me:)

55. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

And you're right I do have hc and know how to use it but I'd like to keep it in the cupboard tonight:)

56. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Awe you're soooo sweet Dyana!!! Ella and I would like that very much:)

57. julie & punkin (ga)

my official explanation - she's a cat. or the strip was wonky. i have no idea. :lol:

i'm trying to think how best that you can sleep without worrying, because i know how tired you are. having the +2 be close to the pmps is a signal that likely the cycle won't be too crazy. could you snooze for an hour or 2 and have your husband wake you to check her?

i was thinking, tamara, that a little perspective is always a good thing.

21 days ago she was on 3 units, eating dry food, and on april 5th she ranged from 254 to 434.
    40 days ago she was getting 4 units.

in the past 3 days, she spent most of the time in healing numbers.

that's a lot of progress in a relatively small amount of time.

58. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

It is a lot of progress in a small amount of time:) I'm very happy about it although it's been quite exhausting! Greg has agreed to be on Ella duty tonight. He knows what to do as he is a seasoned poker. Last night he spent a few hours with us during the test,feed stages so he seems pretty confident. I have yet to convince him to get on the board though. I'm not going to bed yet so I'll post a +3 or 4. If it's an active cycle I will probably be sleeping with one eye open and you will definitely be hearing from me!

59. julie & punkin (ga)

YAY - i didn't want to ask if your DH would take a turn - but that's the best choice yet. i'm sure others will be on too - marje said she'd be on as well, but i'll make sure and look back at +3 and +4 to see if you need a hand.

hopefully, she's going to have a "normal" uneventful cycle tonight.

60. Marje and Gracie

Hey Tamara....I'm home now and prepared for night duty :lol: :lol: does Greg know how to post?

The +2 could also be a food spike if you fed her. There are other cats, like Mannie, who get a +2 spike and if you factor in meter variance as Julie discussed...

Im glad at these high numbers that you shot the .75u tonight. Let's hope she'll have an easy cycle and you can rest.

61. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Well if I can convince him to post that would be awesome!
    Will post a +4...trying to save Ella's ears:)

62. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

+4 381..not sure why we're climbing but I'm going to bed:)
    Doesn't seem like I "ll need to get up for extra pokes.

Ni ni!

Thanks LL!

63. julie & punkin (ga)

it'll be the sweetest sleep ever! night night!

64. Marje and Gracie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.