5/20 Winny - skipped AM, green all day, PM dose or not??

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by twinkiefreekitty, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twinkiefreekitty

twinkiefreekitty Member

I haven't seen this on any of the spreadsheets I've looked at.

Winny was 52 this morning, waited but he didn't go up so we skipped it in the end. He's been green all day, we're coming up to the PM dose, but I am very concerned that perhaps he went very low last night so I don't want to do that again. I wasn't able to get a +1 or +2 last night. The +1 test failed to get any blood after 35 minutes of trying and my back just gave out on me in the end.

Any suggestions on what to do tonight?? Does this situation of green all day after no dose even seem correct??

2. twinkiefreekitty

twinkiefreekitty Member

I'm going to run up to Walmart and get some other test strips. I don't think this makes any sense at all.

3. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Crazy cat. Cats can do strange things. No dosing advice from me. It will be interesting to see what he is tonight. I hope your back is doing ok.
    Liz

4. Vidya & Boo

Vidya & Boo Member

I doubt it's a problem with the strips. It could just be the 'shed' still releasing insulin from the last dose.

Have you made a sudden dry-to-wet food change? In some cats, that alone can push the BG numbers down to normal levels.

5. twinkiefreekitty

twinkiefreekitty Member

no dry food, just the 100% freeze dried treats and FF Classics. Well, a month ago when he was diagnosed we stopped dry food...

I saw on a test strip site that strips shouldn't be exposed long term to temps above 72 degrees. Is this true? Our home is kept at 79 degrees in warm weather.

Bought new strips and I'm going to double check the next test.

6. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

NICE!!

I'm betting it's not the strips- maybe Winny's still emptying his shed a little :D

7. twinkiefreekitty

twinkiefreekitty Member

existing strip gave me 100
    brand new strip gave me 79 five minutes later.

now I'm utterly confused but at least I'm sure he's not at 400something.

8. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Lulu

you can see up to a 20% variance in readings. Here are your options:

1. reduce his dose tonight and going forward to 1.5u (unless he earns a reduction) and shoot on time unless he has dropped between now and +12; if he has dropped, see option 2, 3, 4

2. do not feed, stall, and test every 20 mins until you see a good rise and then shoot 1.5u

3. shoot a BCS (reduced) dose.....perhaps 1u...on time

4. skip...after two skipped shots he could possibly be high in the morning

If you do options 1, 2, or 3 you must get a +1 and +2 and if he's coming down, a mid cycle test that you can set an alarm for and get up to test. If you are not able to do those tests, I suggest you skip. I do not support
    you giving him insulin tonight and if you are not able to test.

Because of the cumulative nature of lantus where one dose builds upon the next, the shed from the 1.75u dose can affect several subsequent cycles. Yes...you did drain the shed a bit today by skipping but we don't know how much so options 1, 2, and 3 could still result in an active cycle; no crystal ball here....so the necessity is for you to test.

Which "door" would you like to choose?

9. twinkiefreekitty

twinkiefreekitty Member

Thanks Marje! We'll skip tonight, it's been a tough day and we're well behind last dose by now. I'll see where we are in the morning. Thanks so much for all your help.

10. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

You're welcome! You still might want to think about reducing his dose to 1.5u tomorrow.

Ni ni

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.