6/19 Tidus AMPS 250 +6/201 PMPS 255 +7/206

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by miso00, Jun 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miso00

miso00 Well-Known Member

yesterday condo http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=73393

I had been feeding friskies 4% carb pate but he started getting loose poop again so I added the stella and chewy's raw. I think that is higher carb because now his BG is up???

I also gave 50ml SubQ yesterday at 9pm.

Should I increase from .75u to 1u?

2. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Re: 6/19 Tidus AMPS 250 DOSE INCREASE????

I think you are right on the Stella and Chewey's. I tried it once and the closest i could come on the carbs was 14%.

3. miso00

miso00 Well-Known Member

I was thinking 13% on the Stella and Chewy's so I'm thinking it's higher than I had hoped :sad:

4. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Hi guys .. no dosing advice from me, but I sure hope you can figure out a food that does not give tidus loose stools anymore .. have a great day guys!

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Without the "as fed" values, you don't know for sure on the Stella & Chewys. I do have a calculator for guaranteed analysis but I won't insure it's accuracy and with that calculator, Stella & Chewy's is over 20%. Those numbers don't make sense to me unless pumpkin seeds are particularly high in carbs.

Can you please humor me and get at least one test during the PM cycle? You've been at this dose long enough to increase but I'm not comfortable making any suggestions because you haven't gotten any PM tests for the last few days.

6. miso00

miso00 Well-Known Member

I've had a really hard time trying to get his tests. I tried but his hair on his ears soaks up all the blood. After 4 test strips that didn't get enough to read he was beyond starving so I fed him and then wasn't sure how soon after he eats to test without the food influencing the BG.

I shaved his ears so I can get a few more tests today. I was hesitant to increase if the food is making his BG's higher. I put him back on Friskies and will see if that changes.

7. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Depending on just how they are prepared pumpkin seeds are 10% to 13% carbs for just the kernels (pepitas.)

ETA: Have you tried a light coast of vaseline on his ears to keep the blood from soaking into the fur?

8. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Well, I would just keep in mind there are other options for raw too.

You might try writing Stella & Chewys to get the numbers you need. I know I directed Nature's Variety to Binky's chart to get the information I needed. They happily obliged by even doing the computations!

And, it has been my experience that most raw is low carb.

Also, keep in mind if you are dealing with IBS you can't stay on a food long term that upsets his digestive system. It actually can do more damage through malabsorption of nutrients, chronic intestinal inflammation which is thought to lead to cancer in some cats. Long term it is better to use a higher carb food that doesn't cause an allegic reaction. You can always adjust the insulin dose regime, but not the food for an IBS cat.

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You can also poke on the underside of the ear. (It's a trick that people who have cats with black ears sometimes use -- less hair and lighter skin.)

10. miso00

miso00 Well-Known Member

Re: 6/19 Tidus AMPS 250 +6/201 PMPS 255

I'm not so sure he has IBS although something is wrong. He is "blah".

Does anyone know what high microalbumin test means?

I have tried to get the under side of his ear and that is even harder. There is only one spot on his right ear that gives blood and to keep poking the same spot is going to make it so soar. I am putting the neosporin ointment on which helps.

He got a few bites of HC today so I'm sure that didn't help with his BG's although my gut says he still has an "infection" of some kind and that's keeping his BG's up

11. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Was that a high MA test for urine? That can indicate some renal issues.

12. miso00

miso00 Well-Known Member

What on the blood work panel indicates renal failure?

13. miso00

miso00 Well-Known Member

The MA explanation on the bloodwork says it can be renal issues or inflammatory disease, chronic infections, FD, cushings, hyperthyroidism.

I'll assume my vet "assumes" it's elevated due to FD and bowel inflammation?

14. miso00

miso00 Well-Known Member

I'm sure his AMPS will be in the 200's. Should I increase to 1u if it is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.