7/16 Cleo AMPS 219; +8 (252); +10 (284); PMPS 283; +2 (159)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy-and-Cleo, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy-and-Cleo

Kathy-and-Cleo Member

Hello all,

Thanks for the warm welcome to the forums that I got over in the Feline Health main forum, and the lovely invitations from Carl and Jane to join the Lantus section, here I am! As some of you know, Cleo and I had a sort of rocky introduction to the world of Lantus, since our vet started us out at a high dose.

I was asked to include our history, so our previous threads are here:

http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74939 - going through our Rocky Horror night, but we got through thanks to wonderful coaching!

http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopi ... 28&t=75010 - Yesterday's condo, second day on Lantus (much smoother, thankfully)

Today is Day 3 and, unfortunately with having to work, the AMPS and +8 are the only levels I'm able to get so far today. I will get one more reading between the +8 and the PMPS, I believe.

Incidentally, already learning more good info. I see in the sticky about handling Lantus that you do not want to roll it before use, yet our vet tech specifically instructed/showed us to gently roll the vial between our palms 5 times or so before use. Go figure.

2. Re: 7/16 Cleo AMPS 219; +8 (252) - 3rd Day of Lantus

Go figure, lol. Maybe they are used to insulins like Prozinc or PZI where gently rolling is the right way to do it? Not so with the "L's". One of the other benefits with rolling PZI is it can be done not only to mix it a little, but also to warm it to room temp before injecting.

Just curious, do Lantus/Lev users let it come to room temp before shooting, or hold it in your hand or something, or is the temperature really no big deal?

Nice to see you posting here, Kathy, and the numbers are still looking very nice! Not a huge deal about only getting one test "in the middle". You'll find ways to squeeze a test in as you get more used to the routine. Any data points between shots are just helpful pieces in the puzzle, so get them as you can, but don't drive yourself crazy over it either. If you look at enough spreadsheets, you'll see that not everyone is able to get lots of tests during the work week, and they try for the curves on the weekend or days off.

Carl

3. Pumbaa

Pumbaa Well-Known Member

Re: 7/16 Cleo AMPS 219; +8 (252) - 3rd Day of Lantus

From what I've read, Lantus can sting, especially when it's cold, so my routine is to fill the syringe & put the Pen back in the fridge immediately, and let the syringe sit on the counter while I test and feed so it has a few minutes to warm up.

Suze

4. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Hi Kathy and Cleo!!

Welcome to Lantus Land!!! We're a pretty close-knit group here and everyone is willing to help either with suggestions to make your dance a little easier or support. Cleo is doing great and it's wonderful you've made the switch from dry to wet food.

Many of us use the Solostar pens instead of vials. It turns out to be less expensive in the long run especially if you can find an outpatient pharmacy at a local hospital that will sell the pens individually. You draw from them the same way as with the vial.....we use our U100, .3cc syringes to draw from the end of the pen; you don't dial in the dose on the pen or use the little pen needles that are used by humans with the pens.

Here's a good video done by our beloved Julie (Punkin) showing how to draw from a pen: [youtube]u4KtK_skpmQ[/youtube]

When you have a chance, could you please do a profile for Cleo for us? Since there are so many kitties in LL, we can't remember every detail about each cat (although we do a pretty good job) so having their info for quick access allows us
    to provide you with quicker answers: Creating a Profile

If you have any questions or problems with it, please let me know.

Again...welcome....and let us know your questions.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Whether or not Lantus "stings" may depend on the cat, your shot technique, and how large the dose is. Usually, when people are discussing whether Lantus stings, it's with a high dose cat. With cats that are on smaller doses, I don't think I've come across more than 2 or 3 people who thought their cat was experiencing a sting. I don't warm Lantus. Some people will hold the syringe between their fingers to warm it.

If I remember correctly from your "Rocky Horror Night" adventure, you were wanting to shift your shot time. Have you been able to shift the time? FWIW, I moved my cat's shot time so I could get some early tests in before I leave for work.

For now, you'll want to hold the current dose for a few more days. It looks like Cleo is doing well. You're doing a great job testing.

6. Kathy-and-Cleo

Kathy-and-Cleo Member

Thanks for the welcomes!! I put up a profile and added an avatar so you can see my little formally dressed dear kitty :)

I will definitely look into the pens for when I need more insulin. For now the vet's office was able to get me this vial, so I may as well use what I have (especially at how much a vial costs)!

@Sienne and Gabby - Great memory!! Yes, we are trying to move Cleo's shot time a little earlier. We started off a little later than I want because her first shot was at the vet's and they don't open til 8 AM and didn't give her insulin til 8:30 AM. Unfortunately, I normally leave my house at 6:40 AM most days!! My husband will probably end up taking morning duty in the long run, since he doesn't leave until 7:20 AM. We're adjusting her time back about 15-20 min each time we can. Yesterday's attempt to move her time back was foiled by her unwillingness to eat the first type of food we tried out, so it prevented us from moving our time. This morning I was able to pull us back about 20 min. Going to try 15 min tonight, aiming to give her the insulin at about 7:45 PM PST. We'll get there in baby steps.

7. Kathy-and-Cleo

Kathy-and-Cleo Member

Re: 7/16 Cleo AMPS 219; +8 (252); +10 (284); PMPS 283 - 3rd

Just did the PMPS and we're still kind of high at 283. At least I don't have to worry about dropping too low. I'm not sure why her numbers are so much higher today than yesterday, but I guess it's way too early to make any guesses until patterns develop.

Gave her 1U of Lantus at 7:45 PM PST. Will try to get at least one more test this evening.

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 7/16 Cleo AMPS 219; +8 (252); +10 (284); PMPS 283 - 3rd

I wouldn't be overly concerned about Cleo's numbers. It takes several days for a dose to settle. In most cases, you need to raise the initial dose. For now, you're still in the process of allowing the Lantus depot to form.

9. Kathy-and-Cleo

Kathy-and-Cleo Member

Re: 7/16 Cleo AMPS 219; +8 (252); +10 (284); PMPS 283; +2 (1

Went down quite a swing since PMPS. I'll definitely be checking again before I go to bed. Boy, it's hard to do this and not obsess over every reading...

10. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Kathy

I just got done telling our other new member that if the +2 is much lower than PS, you can expect a very active cycle with a possible drop early on. You might want to get a +3 just to see if she's going to drop. It would be good if you could read through Deborah and Shasta's condo....Shasta looked about like Cleo tonight and gave Deborah a 34 at +4 :shock:

11. Kathy-and-Cleo

Kathy-and-Cleo Member

I'll go look for Deborah and Shasta. Sorry, I didn't come back and check forums til after I did Cleo's +4. She's dropped a bit more at +4, down to 149. Still, mid-100s, so I think we're ok. I think I might try to get up for a +7 tonight, just to be safe. Thank you for the head's up.

12. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor Well-Known Member

Kathy, how great to see you here in LL-TR! Welcome, welcome!

I'm up and around now - just started condo rounds, as it were, and will go straight to Deborah's next, since I saw Marjories' notice about it... Phew! Don't we love our drama kitties!

Cleo looks like she's doing great this cycle too - you're right, it's hard not to stress about single readings, but you'll loosen up soon enough - but yes, a mid-cycle test might be good, if you can get one. I've not checked the SS or profile yet, as I want to see if there's any emergent situation that needs some eyes first. But I'll be back and check a bit later, k?

Yay for you making it here :smile:

Jane

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.