7/24 Maggie PMPS 122; +2 114; +3 128 Advice/thoughts?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ann & Maggie11 (GA), Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75564

Monday, 7-23
    AMPS 172
    +3 117
    +6 156
    PMPS 154
    +3 116

Morning :coffee: :coffee: and what a relief with this AMPS, as I just started the prescription Lactulose last evening, and I was expecting a spike, even though the Vet said it shouldn't raise it. I'm not sure I got it all in though, as it was a bit of a struggle with Maggie's clenched jaw! Pooor Maggie lately has had an ongoing constipation problem for too long. The Miralax and Slippery Elm Bark didn't help, unfortunately, thus the reason for the Lactulose. Do any of you have any advice/vines on any home remedies I could add to make some fiber for Maggie to move her bowels. I know pumpkin is one, and I'll buy some today, and I know it has to be no sugar/no preservatives. Forti-flora, but it is used it for diarrhea, so that one is out! She goes a little, but it's hard and teeny pebble like! I learned constipation can be a problem with the Manx kitties. One of my Bean friends mentioned it and I just read this in one of the kitty medical sites. Does anyone here, besides Celi, have a Manx kitty and experience constipation? Maggie's never experienced poo problems before though, but she is also getting older. This from a medical pet site.

I miss Maggie's zoom zooms! She's otherwise good, vocal, playful but not as much. Thanks for any vines/thoughts?

2. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Re: 7/24 Maggie AMPS 130 Advice/thoughts?

Nice AMPS for Maggie today! Good luck with the new meds. Sending poo vines your way. I have no ideas on the constipation. We have never dealt with that in either of our kitties. Hopefully the lactulose does the trick. Have a great day Ann!

3. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Sending Maggie many poo vines today. Perhaps the Lactulose needs a bit of time to do it's duty.

C'mon Maggie you can do ithttp://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/****/poo-dance.gif

4. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Nice start for Mags!

I think psyllium husk is supposed to be good for poo issues in both directions.

I don't know all that much about this stuff, eiter, but my Frankie is on a small maintenance dose of mirlax. Have you recently changed Maggie's food? I'm just wondering if that could be a contributing factor...

Have a great day...here's hoping for the zoomies!!

5. Doug N Libby

Doug N Libby Well-Known Member

Good morning, Ann -

Poor Maggie. I guess she doesn't feel very playful with all that's not going on with her. I hope the Lactulose gives her relief SOON! I wish I had some advice. We've tried pumpkin...can kitties have something like bran or fiber added to their food? I read on here about using a drop or two of olive oil to help with hairballs. Wonder if it would help with constipation...Just throwing out everything I can think of...

I like Tamara's little poo dance - hope it helps!

Have a great day -

Libby (& Hershey, too!)

Hey, Maggie - I hope you're feeling better real soon and zooming through the house! See you at Rusty's? your friend - Hershey

6. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Thanks everyone for your advice and vines. Amy, no change in diet except the last couple days I've added a little NV raw Organic Chicken. I know Tarragon uses the psyllium, and it's good for constipation, too. That was the third one I was about to try but then got the Lactulose sample from the Vet. Maybe we just need more time.
    Tamara, I love the little Happpy Dancer. Melissa, thanks for the poo vines. Libby, we'lll take anything at all you can throw out there! :D I have heard something about the olive oil

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Before you add anything more to Maggie's diet, I'd talk to your vet. I don't know if adding something like Miralax could cause problems in the other direction. Also, you don't want to give Miralax with a cat that's having problems like this. I'd also be concerned that if you added anything like oil to Maggie's food, you could end up with a problem that went in the other direction. Also, your vet is incorrect. The drug info on lactulose solution indicates it should be used with caution in diabetics since it contains two forms of sugar (galactose and lactose). The info also notes that it can take 24 - 48 hours to work (in humans).

Did your vet do any x-rays? You need to be sure that Maggie's not impacted or having problems with megacolon. If you don't see results in a day or so, I'd be thinking that you may want to bring her back to the vet for an enema. Once the problem is better, you may want to consider using a "maintenance" amount of Miralax.

8. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Good Morning Ann.
    I've never had to deal with a cat's constipation personally, but the Cat Care book I'm looking at now, suggests that the psyllium type 'bulkers' isn't an overnite answer. It works by drawing water into the stool. By now, Maggie's may be too hard to absorb water. I hope the Lactulose starts to help today.
    Did the doc offer an enema? My DD had to have that done for hers.

On a happier note, that's a fine looking amps for your sweet girl. :D

Sorry, Sienne already addressed the enema thought, while I was sitting here reading the vet book.
    It also said never give an oil like mineral oil, by mouth because she could inhale it and cause pneumonia.
    On the food only, if you choose that route.

9. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Re: 7/24 Maggie AMPS 130; +3 101 Advice/thoughts?

Sienne, thanks for your post. I think my post was a little confusing. I wasn't adding Miralax for Maggie, along with the Lactulose. I stopped using the Miralax and waited til the next day to start the Lactulose. This is the only thing she's taking for constipation. I was asking for help on fiber for things like pumpkin or something similar. The Vet did say to call if it raises her bg and that once the problem is solved to start a maintenance of Miralax. Miralax has always done the trick in the past. Yes, I'll give it another day or so and then back to Vet if no action.

10. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Morning Ann - well, Mannie is a long haired Manx, and I haven't had this problem, plus he's not a daily pooper either. I wish I had some advice for you. I have no clue on the meds prescribed, but the drug info is as Sienne described.I would think that it would raise her BG. Are they sure that she isn't impacted? Maybe she needs something along the lines of an enema, and once all is taken care of, maintain a daily maintenance type program with Miralax. I too have read that pumpkin helps. Sending good vines maggie's way.

ETA: just saw you post - your plan sounds like a good one - wishing you much luck!

Very nice amps for Miss Maggie today. Good job Maggie, almost green!

I hope your day today is a good one.

11. Doug N Libby

Doug N Libby Well-Known Member

I keep psyllium here, for us, and it was gentle enough for Jessica to use as a toddler. That's why I mentioned maybe you could add fiber...but, start low - go slow! ;-) How about milk? Doesn't that give some cats diarrhea?

Again - just brainstormin'

12. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor Well-Known Member

Sorry to read this. I'd take Maggie to the vet since it's been persistent. How is her overall hydration, gums tacky, skin tent test?

Jane

13. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that Maggie's still having poo problems - sending zoomie vines her way.

Ize sending zoomie vines too Mags (and kisses) - love Vyktor xxx

14. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Thanks for the visits and feedback. Thanks Serryn and Vyktor. Michelle, I forgot that Mannie is a fellow Manxy! Libby, thanks again for your advice. Once she's come thru with the poo on the Lactulose, I can think about the psyllium or Miralax as a maintenance. Jane, she was at the Vet yesterday. She seems to be hydrated, is drinking water, and just left a big pee chunk in the lb. Sometimes she sucks the juices from the food and other times eats the whole thing. Appy is good. So far the Lactulose is not affecting her bg, but it may catch up with her.

15. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Thanks Barb & Checkers for looking thru your Cat Book - missed you up there! We'll get Mags up and going soon.

16. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Hi guys .. no advice from me on the poo situation .. but I most certainly send good poo thoughts maggie's way .. Poor sweet girl .. can't be no fun having that kind of problem .. give her extra hugs from us! Have a great day!

17. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Hi Ann-
    I used lactulose regularly with Latte and wondered how much it may contribute to spikes in her BG's. I asked around on the old board (cant find the post) and it also came up in one of her condo's on this board. Here is the link to it:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13628&hilit=lactulose, which also has a link to a discussion on the old board. You will have to scroll about half way down to read mine and WCF's comments on the subject. A search on the old board will bring up more discussion, too. It seems the consensus is in MOST cats, it does not mess with BG's. Of course there are, and have been exceptions.

I remember a few times trying to raise Latte's BG around the time her lactulose was due with no success. It did not do anything to bring her numbers up.

Again, ECID and it is good to be aware of the possibility. My guess is, the actual constipation causes higher numbers than the lactulose in most cases.

Once you get things moving, if you can, I would switch to Miralax. I always wish we could have...but it required kitty eating the food that it was mixed in. If you remember, that is not something I had great success with. :roll: In the meantime, it was always suggested that I keep latte well hydrated, because (and don't quote me exactly ;-) ) Lactulose pulls water from the body in order to work.

Anyway, there is a great site by a layperson who was very interested in constipation:
    http://www.felineconstipation.org/

Info on treatments and what/how they work:
    http://www.felineconstipation.org/acutetreatment.html#Stoolsofteners

I hope things move along soon!

18. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Re: 7/24 Maggie AMPS 130; +3 101; +5 112 Advice/thoughts?

+5 112

Hi Carolyn, thanks for your feedback on Latte and her use of Lactulose. It's nice to hear from another Bean who has used it on their kitty. I did read the first condo and found yours half way down and will take a look at the other discussions. So far it has not raised Maggie's bg's. She's doing good today. Yes, that's the plan is once the Lactulose takes effect and helps Maggie, we will go to a Miralax maintenance plan. I think it's the ECID, too. I thought with the pros and cons if it helped her poo, we could deal with the higher bg's later. Many thanks.

Thanks Devon for the vines.

19. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I'll also post on my own experience using Lactulose and with an acro cat, Oliver.

Constipation is a very serious issue and Oliver has always had 'slow stool' according to the vets he has seen.
    We used Restoralax (like Miralax) regularly and any times that it was decreased, his issues increased.
    We souped his food a great deal; equal parts LC wet food and water worked for him. He was given a min of 1/2tsp BID.
    You want to be sure to put as much water as you can in the food so that the Miralax does not pull moisture from the body and you end up with a dehydrated cat.

Oliver became quite ill last December, and developed megacolon at the start of this year. He is currently getting Miralax, Lactulose, and also Cisapride for his issues. Attempts to cut back or remove any of this combo resulted in his having more problems with stool.

The lactulose has done nothing to raise his BG; he is currently OTJ, and there are no differences in his numbers on days when he gets lactulose, no spikes, nothing.

20. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Gayle, thank you for telling me of your experiences using Lactulose and other stool softeners with Oliver. So sorry he developed Megacolon, and I know it's something that I hope won't develop with Maggie.
    I know the Miralax will become a regular additive once the Lactulose takes effect. You mentioned Oliver is currently getting Miralax, Lactulose, and also Cisapride. Are these in combination every day for Oliver?

So far her bg's aren't affected. One good thing is Maggie likes soupy food! Thanks again.

21. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I forgot another one.... 1tab Sennakot SID, Cisapride 7.5mg TID, Lactulose 3ml BID/as needed, 100cc fluids every 2nd day.
    He also get 25mg gabapentin for his acro aches.

22. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Re: 7/24 Maggie AMPS 130 +3 101 +5 112 +6 134 Advice/though

Here, I found JoJo's explanation regarding Lactulose on the other board. I never understood why, so now I know! :mrgreen: :
    and another explanation:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/read.php?8,1105740,1105740#msg-1105740

23. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I'm sorry maggie is still blocked up.I think you do need to give Lactulose time to work. If there is nothing by tomorrow I would ask the vet about an enema. I actually gave my GA Cleo enemas when she repeatedly became constipated as a result of CRF. I wish Miralax was available then! I also really wish I had the info form the feline constipation site that Carolyn linked you to. It is the one I quoted yesterday and really helps to understand what is going on. Please take time to read through it.

I would avoid psyllium right now. Actually it doesn't draw water into the stool it bulks it up, that is not what you want right now.

What Maggie might need now is lubrication and/or a stool softener.
    Lubrication: Hairball remedies are basically petroleum jelly, which is indigestible. Put it on her paw to lick off several times a few hours apart. You can use the hairball remedy or petroleum jelly. The hairball remedy (Laxatone) unfortunately had syrup, but it also has vitamins. Plain petroleum jelly can delete fat soluable vitamins. OK for a quick fix but not long term.

There was also this idea instead of a full enema:
    Stool softener: Another thing to ask your vet about.

24. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Hi Ann & Tess, yes and thanks so much. Now my links are working and I've been busy reading. The above info that Carolyn posted from JoJo sure helps explain the Lactulose and how it does not raise the bg. Yes, Maggie has not been on the Lactulose long enough for it to work, you're right! I guess I was expecting a miracle overnight. I've got the Felineconstipation.org in my favorites, and it will become another one of my bibles kitty bibles. On my way out shortly for about an hour and will check back.

25. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Hey sweeties!!! Sorry about the Poo problem, it is upsetting!--I do give Moonie 4 drops of olive oil(eyedropper) every morning & 4 drops of omega 3 in vita coat at dinner--I think it does help with the poos & hairballs--Saying a little poo prayer for our sweet Girl Maggie to go!! That's why poos are magical, they are a mystery!!--Hugs & Love & my strongest healing vines for Maggie To Go Go Go!!
    Hugs & Love to you both from us!

26. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Thanks Roni for the poo prayers and healing vines for Maggie. I guess I have to be a little patient with the Lactulose. I'm sure all the healing vines will be working for Maggie to give a go go! :D

27. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

ann, you've already been given excellent advice. if you're not seeing results soon, please consider having maggie x-rayed in case there's any blockage when you take her in. it seems like too many vets forget this one simple step before going right to administering an enema.

hoping you see results soon...

28. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Thanks Jill for the reminder on the Vet doing an X-ray before the enema. We're hoping to see good results, too, or a trip to the Vet. I just took her bg, and she was 122; I'm now on the human meter.

Yes, excellent advice from anyone. Maggie and I thank all of you for the advice, vines and support.

29. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

I didn't have anything to offer except awe (for the numbers), but in reading through, I learned an awful lot that I didn't know - so thank you!!!

Grayson HAS mega-colon; his poops seem to be moving well, but they are sometimes as large as an adult human! OWWWWEEE!!! I've been mixing at least 1 can of water per can of food for several months, so that seems to be keeping him in good shape, but this thread will be bookmarked for future reference! Thanks for all the great info!

30. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Hi Lu, really with Grayson having mega-colon, and he seems to be doing great and just look at the SRT treatment he's undergone. Is he on any kind of lubricant? Glad to hear it is of help thanks to everyone here. I was going to post on Health just on the subject of Lactulose and still may but am reading the site mentioned www.felineconstipation.org. and have learned a lot here thru some Beans that had had to use it.

31. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Re: 7/24 Maggie PMPS 122; +2 114 Advice/thoughts?

AMPS 130
    +3 101
    +5 112
    +6 134
    PMPS 122
    +2 114

Maggie's numbers are really good today! She had her third dose of Lactulose and this time she seemed adjusted and took it fine. It could be the spoonful of Beechnut chicken & broth bf that she knew was coming. :D

I heard from Maggie's Vet Tech, and her urinalysis is fine. That was also part of the reason for her Vet visit. We discussed bringing her in if no action from the Lactulose.

32. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 7/24 Maggie PMPS 122; +2 114 Advice/thoughts?

Oh what a beautiful day for Miss Maggie, Ann.
    I keep coming back to see if she has pooped. Oh, if she only knew what her mama's friends are talking about :lol:

33. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

+3 128

:lol:

Thanks Barb on the beautiful day but so sorry to disappoint you and us, too, no poop! :?
    Eating okay but sleeping a lot, but then that's what cats do is the sleep thing. Now every time I hear scratching in the lb, I'll be checking on her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.