8/6 Harley AMPS 132 - Does anyone use Sheba food

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Harley and Pattie, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

It has been a while since I have posted and Harley is doing well. He goes between 2.5-3u. This AM he is 132. I was taught over the last month to shoot in the scruff and for him, he gets better results. One quick question, does anyone use Sheba cat food - the pate? I cannot find it on Binky's chart and wonder if it is a LC or HC. I gave him some today and will see how it affects his numbers.

Pattie

2. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

nice amps Harley :mrgreen:

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Good Morning, Pattie, it's nice to see you!

Nice AMPS, Harley :mrgreen:

I have fed a can or two of the Sheba, but they were mostly as a treat for something different, and were the fish flavors.

Please let us know how it affects Harley's bgs.

4. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor Well-Known Member

Hello Pattie, nice to "meet" you, Jane here :smile:

Have you seen this list of cat foods? It includes carbs percentages and appears to have been compiled by Wendy Blount, DVM. It lists a few sheba varieties.

We've only ever fed the tuna/shrimp in aspic, which is 9% according to this list, so still LC - though I'm surprised, I'd have expected it to be a bit lower, maybe around 5%.

Hope this helps.
    Jane

5. Harley and Pattie

Thank you Jane. I will bookmark the list.

Pattie

6. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

You're welcome. Just the caveat that I can't confirm the author of the list, and that some of the foods seem to be undercutting the carbs percentages listed on Janet&Binky's lists, so the Wendy Blount list *may* be inaccurate. But it's all I found on the sheba foods.

Jane

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You may need to contact the company and get the "as fed" values. There's a calculator in the FAQs for Janet & Binky's list. Also, whoever it is that's compiling Hobo's list may want to add the food if you get the info.

8. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

Sienne, had you ever come across that Wendy Blount DVM List? I haven't seen it mentioned on FDMB before until I quoted it (with caveat) here.
    Jane

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Jane --

Your post was the first time I'd heard/seen the list. My only concern is whether the info is still current. It looks like the list hasn't been updated in a while and I don't know if it's consistent with some of the newer compilations. I was pretty sure that this additional list that was put together in 2010 (and includes dog food) didn't include Sheba.

Of course, Janet & Binky's doesn't include many brands and some of the information may be outdated, as well.

10. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

Thanks a lot, Sienne! I just got a note from Jill, she had seen the Blount-List before, but made the same point you have - that it hasn't been updated in so long. I can't seem to find anything else with Sheba carbs percentages either. Odd. Anyway, thanks for responding! Maybe the idea of contacting the company directly will yield results! (The additional list you linked here, that's the Hobo-List you mentioned before, right? Do you know who's in charge of that one?)
    Jane

11. Harley and Pattie

Harley has not done well on the Sheba. 301/+2. Now it could be that he fell low over night, but I put MC food in the auto feeder, so I doubt that. I have always stuck with food that is 5% or less so I am wondering if the Sheba is a medium or the 8% that Jane mentioned.

pattie

12. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

Pattie, me agaim :D

Just to be clear: The Blount-List I posted was the only thing I found, but Sienne and Jill (via PM) have rightly pointed out that they are quite outdated, and with the frequent changes in food formulae, they may be quite inaccurate. Could you contact the company instead, and see if you get reliable infor there?

Jane

13. Harley and Pattie

Ok, will add it to my "to do" list. lol, the list seems to get longer with very little crossed off. Wonder if that is procrastination?

Pattie

14. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

The current Sheba canned foods haven't been out on the market for very long, maybe since earlier this year. The Premium Cuts pate ones look ok for diabetics: http://www.sheba.com/Products#pate There is also a Premium Cuts in Gravy line (high carb most likely) that has the exact same names and are in the exact same cans and labels as the pate ones so be sure to double check the label before you buy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pumbaa (aka Suze) does the Hobo's food list http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?t=69877

15. Pumbaa

Pumbaa Well-Known Member

I'm the one compiling the data for Hobo's list and would love to get any and all updated information on foods.

Suze

16. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

17. Harley and Pattie

Julia, you are fast. It is still on my "to do" list. Can cross it off. Thank you so much.

Pattie

18. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I was interested when I checked out the ingredients--I am considering switching Bandit's Fancy Feast to this because of the slightly better looking ingredients and lower phosphorus content (not that I'm super worried about phosphorus with Bandit since he mostly eats the Merricks, but as he gets older I get more and more nervous about the Fancy Feast). I'll pick some up and see if he likes it. I always kept the FF on the menu for variety's sake and because they're easier to portion for freezing than the (goopier) Merricks, so these might be a good alternative.

19. HyperJMA

HyperJMA Member

When I click on that link it says it is broken...

20. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The original post is almost 4 years old....a lot of times as websites get older, they change so the older links don't work anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.