3/5 Baby PMPS 78 +6 117

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nicole & Baby, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

:shock: Yikes when I woke up to her AM #.. but with her body going soooooo low the last 4-5 cycles, it was expected. Thankfully at +3 she seems to have cleared it. This is our 2nd cycle of dosecrease & our 2nd decrease in a week -- so I pray she holds it cat_pet_icon

WCR has eaten breakfast, very cuddly & ready to go outside & play -- but since she cannot go out alone - I need to get up & get ready to go outside too ;-)

Wishing everyone a Blessed, Fabulous, Furbaby Friday!!

:RAHCAT B :RAHCAT A :RAHCAT B :RAHCAT Y

2. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 3/5 Baby AMPS 243 +3 120

Looking good in here...hope you have a nice Friday too !!

3. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

Re: 3/5 Baby AMPS 243 +3 120

Oh, outdoor playtime! Sounds like fun! Have a great Furday!!

Best-
    Michele

4. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

Re: 3/5 Baby AMPS 243 +5 98

Way to handle that rebound Baby! Nice job Nicole.

5. Nicole & Baby

Re: 3/5 Baby AMPS 243 +7 52

Thanks, Tina!! She is doing good.. surfing barely above 50.. but above 50 LOL

Miss seeing Sami's posts :mrgreen:

Thank you for your encouragement..

6. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Hey Nicole, so far I'd say the dosecrease is holding LOL
    She is kickin' butt at liver training school! :)

7. Nicole & Baby

(((Carolyn))) thank you! LTS has been beyond frusturating for us.. as you very well know!! Does Spot have a condo? I like to support you too.. but I never see a condo? Or am I blind? confused_cat

8. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Aww thanks Nicole :) Spot is GA, sadly, I just never had the heart to add that to my login name. I have 2 diabetics currently, one is Roxanne. She is OTJ and very snobbish about that. :D I also have Leo, who has acromegaly. I post some Saturdays on old timer day so people can see how he's doing, but I'm not a daily updater since I don't want to clutter LL and he's pretty much on autopilot as far as treatment goes. That's his picture in my avatar.. isn't he fabulous? :mrgreen:

9. Tina & Sammy

Nicole, I think Baby might be telling you that she could be heading for another dose decrease soon. Hopefully you will still be able to hold this dose for another couple of cycles, but I wouldn't be surprised if you have to decrease her to .75 unit by the end of the weekend. You are doing a fabulous job with Baby. See what happens when you don't stress about it. I think that is what finally happened with Sami I just stopped stressing and took everything as it came and it eventually just fell into place.

10. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

This is amazing!! Baby is doing so great because of you!! LTS is very hard, you are doing a fabulous job.
    Keep those beautiful green numbers coming! flip_cat dancing_cat flip_cat

11. Nicole & Baby

Re: 3/5 Baby PMPS 78 Question

Question.. as kitties are dosecreased (decreased) is there a minimum # of cycles that we like to see them at before the dosecrease? I understand dropping under 50, etc. but is there a minimum # that we like to see -- to ensure kitty holds their decrease? I know ECID - just looking for a general guideline (((thank you)))

12. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Remember RBC can last up to 3 days.... it depends on the cat... of course. Some snap right back and some others don't. Look at Baby's March 2nd for example. Action cycle followed by an RBC cycle and back to green and then greener.

Similarly, yesterday during the day was an action cycle and the PM+ cycle was a rebound. The rebound cleared this AM and action you got again.

As the liver starts to recognize the green numbers as being normal, the rebound is less and less and the curve gets flatter. Does that help at all?

13. Nicole & Baby

Helene.. I think it makes sense.. I know she still goes to RBC, I just was not sure how long I should keep her on her current dose if she drops below 50 a few times? I guess I will see what happens tonight & tomorrow ;-)

14. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: 3/5 Baby PMPS 78

Hi Nicole,
    You asked about R and here is how I see it.
    If you look at Shadoe's ss, her numbers are just high and pretty flat. All those high numbers are just too hard on the body, so we want to bring them down and then she can surf along but at a lower level.

The R is Humulin R. It's a pretty fast working insulin but it fizzles out just as fast. Just think of splashing some water on a hot fry pan; you get that quick fizz and then it's gone. The same with R.

At Shadoe's shot, I give her the usual Lantus and also a shot of R. A very tiny amount of R. What is seen with the numbers is a quicker drop from a pink 300 down to a yellow by +1 or +2, but then it's gone. The R stops working. That's when there is hopefully a pass off from the R to the Lantus. The Lantus hopefully starts working around about the same time and the R stops working.

The result is like pulling Shadow down with the R from 365 to a nice 250 or something, then she surfs along in yellow or blue numbers.

If you picture a curve, with a slow drop to nadir and then start up again, we can change the start of that curve right at the shot and then you can see a slow drop to a nicer and lower nadir.

I am sure someone else will have a better explanation but that's how I picture it in my head.

15. Nicole & Baby

Gayle.. I really appreciate you taking the time to educate me.. it makes complete sense the way you explained it (((thank you)))
    I often have wondered.. but never asked cat_pet_icon

16. Tina & Sammy

Nicole, as you very well know I am just as new to all this as you are. And I know how much you want Baby to hold her decrease, but if you check out some of the recent OTJ kitties it seems that so many of them dropped quickly and then were off the insulin. Sami for instance went from 1.0 unit to .25 from Thursday to Monday. Then once we got done to .10 unit we tried to hold as long as possible, but then she was still falling below 50. That is when we went on the OTJ trial. I think the thing about it is that you want her to be between 50 and 70, but not falling below 50. As we all know the tiniest little drop could make all the difference.

I know you will get advice from more experienced dosers, but maybe you could drop in smaller doses like just one drop less than 1.0, then another drop and so on. That way you are still decreasing the insulin when she falls below 50 but not decreasing by a full .25 unit. I know that you will still probably want to keep a close eye on her to make sure she doesn't drop too low. Now then again, if she is dropping hard and you are not around to monitor this might not be the best option, especially if she isn't eating on her own and there is potential for her to drop low.

17. Nicole & Baby

Tina.. you make an excellent point.. if I have to decrease her... I can do so by a drop.. I don't have to do a full .25!! Thank you!!!!!!!!! I would not have thought of that! We shall see what happens.. she is doing fine right now & not in any need of a decrease!

18. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Nice to see Baby getting more used to green and spending a lot more time there.

19. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Nicole
    Baby has been having some very nice days.
    It is amazing when they start getting used to those greens, they like to spend more time there.
    You have been working very hard with Baby and the results show!

20. Nicole & Baby

(((Thank you soooooo much))) But now that she is in the 100s this evening.. I am thinking I should not have dropped her dose :YMSIGH:

Geez.. ohmygod_smile I am a mess :lol:

We always appreciate advice & your encouragement everyone :YMHUG:

21. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Nicole, you dropped Baby's dose not beacuse you wanted to but becuase you felt like it but because it was protocol, right?
    I am not saying that everything works when we follow the rules, and yes it is easy to second guess ourselves. Should have, could have, would have. It's a saying that I use sometimes but not very useful.
    Tomorrow or the next day you will say, why did I doubt myself. I have done it before!
    Just remember, they are cats and they like to do as THEY please. Not as we please.
    That is why we love them like nothing else.

22. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

i'm going to add to your confusion. :D
    regarding reductions... one has to be careful to take the right reduction when the numbers call for it because too much insulin can cause higher numbers just like not enough insulin can. to make it worse... if you miss a reduction, numbers *could* remain higher than you'd like to see and than all of a sudden kitty will unexpectedly drop... or worse yet, the dose will be increased and kitty will be over dose. when kitties are at around 1u bid or less, one of the things i look for is inverted curves (higher mid-cycle numbers than ps numbers). sometimes an inverted curve gives you a clue that a reduction was missed.
    clear as mud?

23. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

LOL, I think we need to send you to knitting lessons along with Kathy/Kitty, so you'll have something to do besides worry about Baby! Baby is doing fine. Remember, we're dosing by nadir, not preshot, so ignore the 100's (which are also fine) and look at the 50's today. Ok?

Consider this too: we get used to thinking "Liver Training School" when we see bounces to the 300's and 200's. But LTS doesn't usually just magically end, it changes (there's a post-grad program for LTS, I think). Now instead of bouncing to pink, she is bouncing to blue. Tonight's 117 is probably rebound from today's 52. Not so bad for rebound, right?

24. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

It is funny how quickly we forget how upset we were about seeing numbers in the 200's that when we finally hit those nice green numbers, we start to think a low blue number is too high.
    Nicole......... you and Kathy are no longer alllowed to hang out together. :lol:

Baby is doing great and so are you Nicole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.