12/19 Michelangelo AMPS 314, +6/60

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by KPassa, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Previous Condo.

:dizcat Oh, boy! It's been an insane week. Where to start? :dizcat

Last week, my brother's girlfriend's best friend ended up in the hospital in a coma for a few days, so his girlfriend drove home early from school and arrived last Friday (this is the reason my brother ended up not going snowboarding).

So, because of my brother's schedule, I bumped Michelangelo's shot time up from 7 am to 9 am over the previous few days before leaving mid-afternoon on Monday for my business trip. pc_work

Everything normal till Tuesday morning when my brother took Michelangelo's AMPS and he was 79, 89, and 86, so my brother didn't give him his morning shot. :thumbup (A similar thing happened twice the week before, resulting in me lowering Michelangelo's dose from 1.25u to 1u.) Then Tuesday afternoon (was that only yesterday??), my mother's husband (and my brother's sometimes-boss) had a heart attack and they induced a coma and hypothermia until this Saturday. :eek: Because of that, my brother ended up in the hospital all last night and had to take over his boss's work today, leaving him completely unavailable for Michelangelo.

:YMHUG: Here's where things get awesome (if that's even possible): The friend I had trained when my brother was supposed to be gone immediately stepped up completely last minute and headed over to my house and tested Michelangelo and gave him his shot at around 9:30 pm last night. Then, this morning, my brother's girlfriend swooped in on the action and googled ear testing and insulin shots on youtube and tested him and gave him his morning shot at 10:45 am. (She would have given it at 10 am, but she wasn't sure what numbers to look for and was waiting to hear back from either me or my brother on whether or not to give Michelangelo his shot when his AMPS number was 314). :YMHUG:

I got home around 4:30 pm (about an hour ago) and tested Michelangelo at around 5 pm and he was at 60.

Now, I'm trying to sort through all the numbers written here-and-there on scraps of paper by various people at various times and the no-shot and the delayed dosages and everything else and figure out what the heck is going on and how much insulin I should be giving him at what time tonight, especially since I have to work tomorrow morning at 8:30, so I can't be giving him his AMS at 11 am! I was thinking of doing a reduced dose tomorrow morning at his original, usual 7 am time (that is, if he isn't too low again).

confused_cat If he's been on 1u for the last few days, hit 60 at his AM nadir (I think?) and had a skipped shot because of too low AMPS yesterday morning, then.... heck, I don't even know what to ask or where to start?!? Help!

2. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 12/19 Michelangelo 5pm Pacific @ 60 - next dose amount/t

Welcome home! I would really like to see his numbers before offering an opinion but worst case you could just skip tonites shot and do 7am tomorrow morning and he'd be back on schedule.

Great that you had all that support.. And I hope your family feel better.. What a crazy week for you!

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't want to give a shot 4 hours early. Can any of those people that help you test and shoot come by tomorrow at 11:00am or 10:45am and call you with the BG number?

4. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

I'm going to check the glucometer readings to see if they match up in the right order to verfiy, but I think I've gotten all the data straightened out and uploaded into his spreadsheet now.

The reason I was asking about a reduced dose is because I'm not even sure what to do in this situation. If my best option is skipping his morning shot tomorrow, then I can do that. I actually think I'm going to try to work from home tomorrow anyway, so in that case, it doesn't really matter.

So, if his morning shot was at 10:45 am, I can give his PMS at 10:15 pm without screwing things up? And then can I give him AMS at 9:45 am tomorrow, making his PMS at 9:45 pm (only half hour bumps a day, right?). That just leaves me with Friday to figure out who I can get to give him his AMS at 9:15 am. After that, I have the 4-day Christmas weekend to get him back on schedule before I have to be back to work.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm not sure what +time that 60 is. From your SS, it looks like it's at +6.

I agree -- shooting 4 hours early is not a good option. The best way to get back on schedule is to skip either tonight or tomorrow AM. The only way you can move the shot time is either by 15 min. at each shot time or 30 min. once a day. If someone is able to help out, that would be great but if not, you'll have to weigh your choices.

6. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm now fairly certain that the 60 I took when I got home is his AM +6 for today. Whew! All them numbers and times is confuse me much! @-) Not to mention half the numbers were texted to me and I was in a different time zone!

Okay, I think that's what I'll do: skip his PMS tonight and resume normal programming tomorrow morning. Way easier on my brain.

7. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

And I also wanted to add that it's amazing how much has changed in the last three months around here from having no support at home to having all these people care enough about Michelangelo (or at the very least about my love for him) to go out of their way to test him and give him his insulin shot.

drinking24 Warm Holiday Spirit Fuzzies all around! party_cat

The most important thing is that I didn't worry once about Michelangelo while I was gone because I knew he was in capable hands. :D We survived our first separation in his whole life!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.