03/01/13 Emmy +9=211

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by jennyb, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jennyb

jennyb Member

Resuming routine this time without diabetic med-cal. Steadily increasing the wet food(been mixing it with her dry food and tiny bit of yogurt like 1/4tsp. She still won't eat just the wet, but this morning I add the biggest amount of wet yet, it was at least a tsp. and she ate it. :lol: Slowly but surely hee hee!

2. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Re: 03/01/13 Emmy AMPS=218,

Hi guys .. don't think I've been to Emmy's condo before so welcome from us! Glad to hear she is eating a bit more of the wet cat food .. hopefully it doesn't take to long to convince her and that once you do, her numbers come down .. have a great day guys!

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

One approach that works with some cats is to pulverize the dry stuff and sprinkle it on the wet food. You end up using less than if you were giving whole pieces of kibble and the kibble smell is still there. Some cats will also scarf their food if you use FortiFlora which is a probiotic. It's available online. I don't know how easy it is to track down in Canada, though.

This is a much better number than what you were seeing last night! (I really wasn't kidding about sharing your data with your vet the next time you're in for an appt.)

4. jennyb

jennyb Member

I surely will share the info. So, tonight is a big night. I cut in half what she is suppose to get in orijin at one sitting and I will cut in half what she should get of the wet food at one sitting and mash it all together, fingers crossed.

5. jennyb

jennyb Member

PMps 9.7 gave her fat one with her new food, being half dry and half wet, and she ate it. +2 86 so fed her 6 medi-cal crunchies. Will check her in a bit. +3 70, gave 7 more medi-cal crunchies. will check in 15 mins. +4 59, fed 7 more crunchies +5 67

I guess i should have taken into account the increase in wet food and decrease of dry.
    When can I relax a bit about worrying about her?

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 03/01/13 Emmy AMPS=218,PMPS=175, +2 86

How about getting some Fancy Feast that has gravy (e.g., Gravy Lovers, roasted, marinated or grilled varieties)? Giving Emmy dry food is going to be a headache in the long run. In the meantime, you can always add a drop or two of corn syrup, honey, maple syrup, etc. to Emmy's canned food.
    • Continuing to feed dry will make it harder for you to get her transitioned to a canned food diet.
    • Dry takes much, much longer to be metabolized and raise numbers. It takes equally long to work its way out of the system.
    • "Gravy" contains the bulk of the carbs in high carb food and cats typically really like it.
    • Gravy doesn't fill your cat up. If you need to be steering numbers over several hours, you don't want to be feeding something that is filling. Your cat can then refuse to eat or will vomit. It you need numbers to come up, the last thing you want is a cat that's throwing up her food.
    What you're seeing is what happens when you eliminate high carb food from your cat's diet. It is better to feed a bit of low carb to see if you can stabilize the numbers. What you're seeing with numbers that are hovering around the 60s is a good thing. It's a healing range for Emmy's pancreas. You need to not panic and not start shoveling high carb into your cat.

The first step is to see if LC will get the numbers to slow down and level out. If the keep dropping, you can add some carbs. If they drop below 50, you want to follow these instructions on handling low numbers. For now, you want to see that the numbers are not continuing to drop if you don't feed. The problem is that we don't know when the dry food is going to hit.

Edited to Add (ETA): Can you add these numbers to your spreadsheet? Also, for the future, if you have a question or feel like you need help, add something to your subject line. We tend to scan the board and if numbers don't look unusual, I might not have come back to take a look.

7. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Jenny

Sienne asked me to check in on you all and stay with you in case you had any questions. She has to work tomorrow so will probably be going to bed soon but I will be up a while.

Can you please get a +3 and post it? Also, can you please let me know how long until your +3? If you get a number that worries you, please post first and I will give you assistance on what to feed, ok?

Edited to add: sorry....just saw she is 67 at +5. Can you get a +6 so we can see if she is going up? There's not much difference between 59 and 67.

8. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Any update?

9. jennyb

jennyb Member

+6 =106 +9 =211

10. jennyb

jennyb Member

Didn't get a +6 sorry, I did how ever feed her more, a good amount, so that I wasn't as concerned anymore, sorry I forgot to post it. So, sorry I actually thought I had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.