Re: 3/23 Do LouPMPS 411:( + 3 314&472 meter difference?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lisa and Do Lou (GA), Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

AMPS 369
    well I may have to run to the store I have not been doing spot check for 2 days as I wait for my strips to come in which should be today he is high this morning <sigh> so not happy and not feeling as good as over the weekend :sad:
    I am so frustrated by his high numbers and I am supposed to call my vet today he raised him last week about this time so I am wondering if he will raise him once again confused_cat confused_cat

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9856

2. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Re: 3/23 Do Lou AMPS 369

question for those with experience out there we have been on lantus now since 3/7 so only 2 weeks as of this past sunday I can tell my cat is feeling better overall he has had good and bad days but more good then bad as of lately but when do I see a improvement in the numbers?

3. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Re: 3/23 Do Lou AMPS 369 +6 262

+6 262 well a little better

4. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

After looking at your spreadsheet I can tell I need to get more familiar with Do Lou. Instead of searching for it -- is he still eating dry food?

When do numbers get better? Well, that is a question we all wish we could answer with something other than ECID (every cat is different) or "it depends" or some other vagueish answer. My best suggestion is for you to visit other condos, look at their spreadsheets and see the range of when they started to improve.

Noisy is a good example of one that took some time to get into good numbers but he then went OTJ.

5. D and Noisy

After studying SS a little more, I am a little concerned with how you got to the dose you are on. Looks like it has been adjusted by 0.5u increments. Interestingly, with Lantus, sometimes a single drop can make a difference. I have seen the slightest increases/decreases make an amazing difference.

The thing I didn't like about raising Noisy's dose by too much was -- I didn't want to go through the hell of waiting through dose settling time all over again -- in other words if we raise the dose to much or to fast there is a chance you'll have to start over, go slower, to find the right dose.

6. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Yes I have went to other condos but have to say it really does not help since like you say all cats are so diff I guess its just a waiting game as to the going up with .5 increments I am doing what me vet instructed me to do. I am just frustrated today I guess

7. D and Noisy

It is hard to go against your vet but you might consider trying to work with your vet on his/her advice. You could print out the protocol we use here and discuss it with him/her. I can't tell you how many cats I have seen who's vet was not familiar with how Lantus works or the great progress that has been made in feline diabetes.

When I got here I was going along with my vet -- she wanted to raise Noisy from 11u BID to 13u BID. Once I got here, started testing, and switched everything I was doing Noisy never needed over 2.75u and went into remission.

I'm not trying to pressuring you, hope it doesn't feel that way.

8. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

I did give my vet the protocol here before the dose increase but he still raised him so IDK anymore what to do I feel like I need to follow my vet in a way I am a tech who has worked with this vet for almost 16 yrs so its hard not to trust him. But I also totally understand what you are saying as well I want everyone to always say whats are their mind to me to here thats what this is all about I do not take it as pressuring me at all. But I know my numbers are not doing what I want them to right now at all. confused_cat

9. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Re: 3/23 Do Lou AMPS 369 +6 262 PMPS 411:(

PMPS 411 Mom is not happy at all over a red number

10. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Re: 3/23 Do Lou AMPS 369 +6 262 PMPS 411:(

Ok was on my last strip with my freestyle so went to walmart and go some strips for my micro since i have the freestyles on order and should be in for tomorrow go home did a plus 3 with both and OMG it was a 472 on the relion and a 314 on the freestyle thats a HUGE difference had do all meters do this which one is right do I just trust the one I have been using this is freaky I mean they should be close. confused_cat confused_cat confused_cat

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

There is definitely a difference between meters. Someone posted a comparison and unfortunately, I didn't bookmark the graph. Generally, if you go between two meters you will drive yourself crazy so it's best to just pick one and stick with it.

As far as increasing dose, perhaps you could increase per your vet's recommendation but in steps - 025u steps. So you're not actually disagreeing, just getting to the .5u increases in 0.25 increments. Just a thought.....

12. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa, Sienne posted her reply before I was finished writing this, so I just want to say that I agree with her and would stick with the meter you've been using for the time being. The big difference may just be a fluke, but why add that to your concerns? I can't give you advice on dosing for Do Lou (but Sienne and others here can), and you know your vet, obviously. But I can tell you that Stu was prescribed 7 units of Lantus bid, that he almost crashed, and that we started over at 1.5, raised the dose gradually by .25 of a unit and are now up to 2.5 and doing well (I should say we got up as high as 3.25 and are now down to 2.5 because Stu improved so much). I didn't tell the vet about Stu's progress until after I had started testing at home and until after I had followed the suggestions of the great people here and had begun the Tilly protocol. Good luck! Don't be afraid to follow the protocol. Do Lou is your cat and you have to do what you think is right for him.
    Ella

13. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

well I wanted to have more strips in case of emergency tonight my freestyles will be in tomorrow so I was just curious when I did the +3 on the relion and then I was blown away by the difference

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.