? 01/04 Chanel AMPS 136 PMPS 242 Clay-like bowels for the past month

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Laura & Chanel, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

Hi Everybody,

Happy New Year! I hope everybody is doing well and staying safe and healthy...I suppose this is another masked year :(
    @Marje and Gracie
    @Wendy&Neko
    Long story...very short, Chanel got to ER a couple of times, a kidney infection for which the doctor prescribed Orbax (similar to human norfloxacin). Of course, Chanel and my husband are somewhat related because after the antibiotic treatment she seemed allergic to chicken, but would eat fish. Based on my history with my husband's ER visits, I asked the vet to perform an ultrasound and everything came back ok (of course, her total cholesterol is a freaking 260 and her eosinophils are slightly elevated. The vet suggested I keep her away from her old food and the new food is kind of white-ish so I thought that may be reason enough for her to have her bowels white like clay. The vet said she is not concerned with it, but I am freaking out because it is longer than a month and she is just not present. She wants to eat (my new year resolution to improve my sleep is down to drain since Chanel wants to eat at 10 pm, 12 am, 2-3 am, then 5 am and so on...oh well...she is the baby).
    The ultrasound did not show any blockage, no tumors and except her lethargy and clay-like bowels, nothing else is changed. I assume is her IBD (the vet told me at the last visit that this is the only thing left and prescribed Flagyl transdermally every day; not sure if it helps much).
    If it is IBD I would assume an inflammation and some kind of obstruction of the bile duct, but it is just an assumption. She wants chicken again, fish was never her thing (wondering if she associated the chicken food with the kidney infection).
    I am at loss of what to do, I really think that if the color of her bowels would become normal, she would get back to her old and mischievous self. Meanwhile, she is on Flagyl, Adequan (once a week SC for arthritis), Zyrtec (2 times/day) and increased her insulin from 0.10 to 0.5 and still she is not coming down properly, which makes me think something is wrong with her.

Thanks
    So sorry for being quiet, a lot of work even during the holidays.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Different proteins change the color of the stool. It could be EPI in which case she might not be absorbing all the nutrients from her food. Flagy can be constipating so if she doesn’t have diarrhea I would not want to use it long term. What about trying a novel protein? One of mine does really well on venison. She eats raw so is being fed Primal venison. I hope you figure it out soon.

3. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

Thank you very much for the insight. I really hope it is the type of protein (by the way, how did you detected the EPI? what do you give for it as medication). When it comes to food, Chanel is a food critic. Either I bring the right thing and prepared accordingly (proper quantity, proper volume of water and proper temperature) or she walks. We have a mini PetStore in the house, I am not kidding you. I tried the fish because this was a novel protein and different from anything before (also I had pure fish food, not mixed with any other protein). Also, the vet said seafood, Chanel decreed TUNA only. I have rabbit, venison but she is refusing them (maybe on the account of the previous food that she liked and contained chicken and beef).
    The Flagyl is transdermal so no side effects. I will try and buy some Primal too, her menu is getting longer and she seems to enjoy her position of power. I

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Max was tested for it when he was first diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis but did not have it. As I recall there is a blood panel. I don’t know enough about it to know if Chanel might have it but I remember being told the stool is clay color. I think it’s controlled with pancreatic enzymes and supplements. This may not be what she has at all.

5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

EPI is a blood test. If Chanel has it, she would need enzymes in her food every time she eats. And I think the stool is extremely stinky. Smokey had grey stool and the smell could clear the house out in 1 sec flat. But he had pancreatitis. Olive had pancreatitis but never off color or stinky stool. If you can do the blood test it would rule it out.

tiffmaxee likes this.