01/08 Charlie need help with PM dosing275 +2(221)+4(139)+6(70)+8(83)+11(115)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tammy Campbell Gallant, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Tammy Campbell Gallant

Tammy Campbell Gallant Member

Charlie is on 1U 2x a day. His sugars are now 6.4 do I give him his full dose?

2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hi! I can't stay around to help but you'll want to get your usual PMPS reading to make a decision on shooting. When you get it, don't feed and post here (comment on this thread) if you need help.

With that said, your SS says you're following SLGS (link here) - on SLGS, Charlie earned a 0.25 reduction today by going <90. Your new dose is 0.75.

I would read about "How to handle a lower than normal preshot number" under the SLGS section from the above link. If I were you, I'd also edit my title (top right, click on thread tools then edit title) - choose the ? from the drop-down and make your title "01/08 Charlie - Need help with PM Dosing".

I'll also tag people that may be able to swing by to help with dosing if they happen to come online - @Wendy&Neko or @tiffmaxee or @Bron and Sheba (GA)

Here's your post from health too (we just like to link for continuity and history) - https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/posts/2713936/

At a minimum, my comment will bump up your post :bighug:

3. Tammy Campbell Gallant

4. Tammy Campbell Gallant

His PMPS reading is 121. Do I give him 0.75?

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Did you feed him. If not get another test now please. If you fed him more than 20 minutes ago the next test would be food influenced so I would skip.

6. Tammy Campbell Gallant

I gave him 0.5 units and then feed him. I didn't think I was supposed to skip or go past half an hour passed his dose time? and it was over an hour passed his dose time and I didn't know what else to do.

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry we didn’t get to you sooner. I would get a + 1 and a +2 to see how he’s going

8. Tammy Campbell Gallant

No worries, I understand that people are busy and I have to learn. It is just so much and I know I have read things and should know what to do but then I panic and can't remember where I read it. I find this site really hard to get to know and understand how to use it. I don't ever go on anything but facebook so I am trying to learn as fast as I can. I will take his sugars at +1 and + 2 and then again at +6 because that is when he went really low today, starting coming up after that.

9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

:bighug: There’s a lot to learn. When I joined I printed out the dosing methods as well as handling low numbers information. I would read them while waiting for help. What you do when you have a lower preshot is, stall, don’t feed, and test again in about 20-30 minutes. If 150-190 or so you can either shoot a reduced dose or if coming up a full dose. The first time you shoot that low you want someone to guide you though. If around 150 you can shoot a dose about 10-20% of your dose if on the way up. If under 150 and not on the way up skip insulin. Gradually as you have more information you can shoot lower numbers.

Congrats on earning a reduction. In the morning if high enough to shoot your dose is .75. You don’t need to remember all this. Just post for dosing help like you did. Sorry nobody got back to help you.

10. Tammy Campbell Gallant

His sugar is 135 at +1. He is all over the place with his numbers. He was 275 before his does this morning and went down to 70 at +6. Will these get better in time?

11. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

He is actually doing very well. Lovely greens already. Ignore the higher numbers. They are just his liver's reaction to the normal numbers that his body has gotten unused to. They will go away with time as his body acclimatizes to normal numbers.

I would get one more test - maybe a +3 - to confirm that he is headed up before calling it a night.

12. Tammy Campbell Gallant

Thank you very much. I will check them at +3 and should I check them at +6 as well? That is when he was at his lowest after his morning dose.

13. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

If he is higher at +3, that means he is bouncing from the greens he saw today. So he will only head higher and there's no need to stay up. Catch up on sleep. I can assure you that you will lose enough sleep on this journey, so best to take the opportunity to sleep when you can! ;)

tiffmaxee likes this.
  14. Tammy Campbell Gallant

Thank you again. I will do that!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Charlie is doing really well for a cat so recently diagnosed. :) You can go back to 0.75 units tomorrow morning.

16. Tammy Campbell Gallant

Great! Thank you!