01/12 Basil AMPS=72 +2=93 +4=79 PM+3=98 Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Hi,

We have shot low numbers before--74, 78, even 65.

Should we shoot this?

Last night was a low surf

Yesterday's Condo

2. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

Re: 01/12 Basil AMPS=72 Help

Morning, Lydia. Just letting you know I'm thinking of you...Basil, stop worrying your bean!

Best-
    Michele

3. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Thanks, Michele. I have to leave very shortly for a monster dental appointment. My husband and son will be here, but this is making me anxious.

4. Michele and Esse

Sonbean and Fatherbean did an awesome job last night; I wouldn't be worried about that. (I would be humongously worried about the dentist, however....they scare me silly). He really seems to be sufing around in the greens, you know? I know how scary that is, but it's a good thing...a hard thing, but a good thing.

Hang in...someone will be 'round to help.

Best-
    Michele

5. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

If it were me I would shoot, a 74 and a 72 are practically the same number. How long will you be out at your dental appt?

Do either your husband or DS test?

6. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Oy, yeah. We all test and give shots. So we will go ahead and test a lot then?

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Basil is keeping the surf from last night alive and well. Sonbean and Fatherbean did a great job last night!!

Remember to take the "help" out of your subject line if you're good to go.

8. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

at least get a +1 and a +2 off of this to see where the numbers are going.

You are so lucky to have the help and support of everyone in the house to help out. :RAHCAT
    after almost 2 years here, I have to be half way around the world before my DH will help me :roll:

9. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Re: 01/12 Basil AMPS=72

We're all equally into this. I just am the one who posts the most!

I was just wondering, since 50 is the number that earns newbies decreases, and we hit 5o last night, does it look like we are heading that way again? Is it too soon to think that?

10. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Nice AMPS for Basil today and good for u for shootin!

11. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

50 earns a decrease, you may very well be headed there again, unless a rebound occurs. Your AMPS shows no sign of rebound so you could have taken the decrease this morning, however the rebound may happen later. Also shooting the regular dose may block the rebound from happening so he surfs nicely today. If you had already seen rebound in the AMPS then often we shoot the "old" dose 1 more cycle to keep the rebound under control and then reduce after that. I would say if he goes below 50 again then decrease at the next shot, If he surfs nicely and your Preshot is still mostly green you could go ahead and try a decrease. You are on your way to the.........*anti-jinx :D

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hmmm..... I thought Tilly specified less than 50 (i.e., a number in the 40s or below).

13. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Symanitics Sienne! She had a flat 50, I think that close enough, I mean we tell people not to sweat a 301 because it's pink it's really the same as 299 which would be then yellow. I think Basil being in the greens even after touching 50 is a good sign that he wants to get to the falls.

Anyway Tilly also states that the protocol implies using a BG meter (human) calibrated for whole blood which measure lower than plasma-equivelent meters (which almost all meters are now, whole blood meters are being done away with) The reference range for humans on whole blood meters is 60-110 mg/dl while plasma meters are 70-120 mg/dl. So theoretically speaking it should say that when using a plasma meter a reading below 60 earns a decrease.

I use a whole blood meter I also have several plasma calibrated and they do have a difference.

14. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Re: 01/12 Basil AMPS=72 +1=98 +2=93

So, okay. Back from the dentist and 90 minutes in The Chair.

Husband bean wa testing and updating the ss, but apparently didn't know he was supposed to post unelss he had a speific question.

So Basil is surfing although he has not eaten most of his breakfast yet.

I suppose a +4 is our next best bet.

I have to think about your discussions of the decrease. My head is still too full of novocaine and dental fumes to think yet!

Thanks so much for the advice, help and support.

15. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Re: 01/12 Basil +4=79

Basil's dippin' into the 70s for us. Go, pancreas!

16. Michele and Esse

Re: 01/12 Basil AMPS=72 +1=98 +2=93 +4=79

I so have to get that aluminum hat for Esse...but GOOOOOO Basil!

Best-
    Michele

17. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Re: 01/12 Basil +5:50=119?!

Okay, Basil, I know you ate quite a bit at about +5, but this is supposed to be a nadir kind of time, so what's with the 119?

18. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Re: 01/12 Basil +7:20=106

Surfing but a little more to the turquoise than the green.

19. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 01/12 Basil AMPS=72 +1=98 +2=93 +4=79 +5:50=119 +7:20=106

Nice cycle so far for Basil Lydia!

Yikes! I hate dentist : nailbite_smile

20. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Re: 01/12 Basil AMPS72 +1=98 +4=79 +5:50=119 +7:20=106 Question!

So, there seems to be some differing opinions here about Basil taking another dose decrease after last night's drama. Does anyone else want to weigh in on this?

We will be testing him shortly (30 minutes form now=8:40EST). What, if anything, woulf dictate dose decrease? I'm not lobbying for one--just want to know. And if I can anticipate what I am looking for, I might be able to avoid waiting tonight and getting him off schedule.
    Thanks!

PS We have a plasma-type meter--a Wavesense Presto.

21. Michele and Esse

Re: 01/12 Basil AMPS=72 +2=93 +4=79 +5:50=119 +7:20=106 Question

How it has worked with me, and you can see this by my condos, is that anytime Esse has reached 50 or under, she got a decrease. Now, I've never seen her actually hit a 50; so if it's that kind of fine point that's in contention, all I have to say is that I've never "let" Esse go below 60 without treating it.

So I guess my question to you, Lydia, would be twofold:
    1. Did you feed/treat him when he was at 50 to keep him at or above that number? *(meaning, do you think he'd've gone lower without the food?)
    2. How do YOU feel about a dose decrease? Are you ready for it? Do you think it's time? Remember, in the end, it's your call, and you have to do what you think is right.

Frankly, if you're ready, I don't see why you don't go fatwhatever. Just to see if Basil holds the line...and if he doesn't after several cycles, you can always go up again. If he holds the line, then go to a straightwhatever. And then a skinnywhatever. Sort of sneak it up on his pancreas...see if it notices and goes on strike or takes the challenge.

'course, that's just my opinion...but it's what I figure I'll end up doing with Esse (shhhhhh, don't let Basil know...) in the future sometime. Whatever you decide, I still think you're pretty cool...and that Basil is one heck of a psychic kitty. LOL.

Best-
    Michele

22. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

That's an interetsting little summary, Michele.

Yes, we fed that 50 and even fed before it, so without the food, I think he might have gone lower.

Hmmm. I don't have a real "feeling" about a decrease. Of course, I'd like it. But I want to do what the data supports. How's that for equivoacting? LOL

I think you're pretty cool, too. Whoever thought I'd have a late-night buddy to sit up with on the other side of the continent?

23. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I had to go catch up on your evening. :mrgreen:

Basil is a newly diagnosed diabetic, so I don't have a problem with trying a dose reduction after the 50 (if you had tested again 2 seconds later it might have been 49 anyway). If it doesn't work, we can always go back up, but I'm thinking he will probably be able to hold it. I would say that if the PMPS is green, then go for 0.5.

LOL, I'm getting soft, I'm the one who has a reputation for being really stingy with dose reductions!

24. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Re: 01/12 Basil AMPS=72 PMPS=112

So, Basil makes the decision to stay with the dose by giving us a blue PMPS.

I just hope he isn't in the 50s again this evening!!

Thanks, Libby. We'll be watching the little bugger.

25. Michele and Esse

See, I think that if we take action to prevent the lowest part of the curve from "curving", that needs to be factored, too. I'm right now preparing to get back to school, so today I did nothing "special" (foodwise) to help Esse hold the surf. Food was available, but it was just the regular "Wellness", not the Friskies or anything special. So I'm now confident she can hold her own with the food available. Had she dipped, I probably would've tried to stop it - at about 60. (Abby just stepped on the computer. Her contribution is "63+++++++++++++++++++++++++" I wonder what that meant?? LOLOL)

And I think you equivocated very nicely. LOL.

Just so you know, come next Monday night, I'm gonna be in bed at PMPS+2.5 at the latest...school comes back in, and I have to be on the floor and nursing by 7 am...so I'll be getting up at PMPS+9 or so most mornings. Which means, of course, that I can't do late-night stuff...but I can do early morning stuff! LOL.

For what it's worth, I think you'll make the right decision...

Best-
    Michele

26. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Re: 01/12 Basil AMPS=72 +2=93 +4=79 +5:50=119 +7:20=106

Thanks, Michele. Will you be my nurse? You're SO nice!

To add another wrinkle, Basil is suddenly getting fussy about food. He seems to be turning his nose up at Merrick and only wanting Fancy Feast, so tonight's dinner is mostly sitting there. Sigh. He'll eat it later when he's good and hungry, but for now, he's saying No Thanks!

27. Michele and Esse

Re: 01/12 Basil AMPS=72 +2=93 +4=79 +5:50=119 +7:20=106

That's just my on-line persona. I'm actually trying to become the 2010 version of Nurse Rachett. LOL.

He will eat when he's good and hungry...it will be all right. And actually, Esse turned her nose up at Fancy Feast last night, in favor of the Poultry Platter I put down (because I was too chicken to put down the Wellness...). I swear, these cats are weird, aren't they?

Best-
    Michele

28. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Re: 01/12 Basil PM+3=98 Thoughts?

Well, this is pretty normal looking despite the fact that he didn't eat much dinner. I just added Fancy Feast to his dish and he ate that. He is getting fussy!

My question: Anyone think it is a bad idea to leave him some food and go to bed? We could set an alarm and do a +5 if we need to.

Thanks!

29. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

looks like Basil has a nice surf going and you should be fine to go to bed (hopefully you're already there!).

30. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Thank you!

I wuz waitin' to be sure.

Night!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.