01/18/23 HELP with change from ProZinc to Lantus

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JBat75, Jan 18, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBat75

JBat75 Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...anging-insulin-to-lantus.273132/#post-3036432

I was hoping for some advice. I am leaving for a week in 4 weeks from today. I wanted to change Kaia from ProZinc to Lantus. I've been wanting to do the change for a while but I am gone often and I worry about the change process.
    I won't be home to monitor Kaia. My sister will be feeding and giving her insulin but she won't be able to do any after injection checks as she works.

Her glucose is still kinda high and she is having issues with her eyes. Not sure if she is losing her sight... I'm just worried about not being here to help her transition to a new insulin. Should I wait? Any advice??
    @Chrispooky12
    @Angela & Cleo

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Tagging
    @Suzanne & Darcy

@FrostD

Since they are familiar with Prozinc

3. Chrispooky12

Chrispooky12 Well-Known Member

I'm probably not the best person to give you advice on this. I switched to Lantus from prozinc on 4-30-22 hoping that would change my boy from being stuck at a dose that he was on for quite awhile. We moved at the end of Dec 2021 & bam Panzer ended up with a UTI that ended up lasting for 4 months! Once I started Panzer on Lantus his numbers were fairly good. Then we had a long stretch of high numbers, then good numbers. He's actually done pretty well on Lantus but his dose just kept getting higher & higher, than he started dropping & was getting reductions. Here recently he had another UTI & will be getting rechecked in a couple of days to see if it's gone. His dose continues to climb but that doesn't mean it will continue to but who knows. Anyways, I'm thinking about switching Panzer back to prozinc as he seems to have done better on it. I'm not sure yet though, I thought about doing it awhile back but changed my mind. I would definitely wait until you are back to monitor him as Lantus is a depot insulin & prozinc isn't. I guess every cat is different & you have to be patient. I know it's hard because I'm having a hard time having patience myself. I think I need some patience pants LOL whatever you decide good luck to you & your kitty.

4. JBat75

JBat75 Member

I'm sorry to hear about Panzer UTIs. I'm having Kaia checked for one tomorrow. I need a pair of patience pants myself! I'm trying hard to understand the Depot insulin. That part makes me nervous as I'm away from home often.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

6. Chrispooky12

Chrispooky12 Well-Known Member

I hope she doesn't have one & I hope Panzer's is gone. It's heart breaking to see are babies don't feel well on top of being diabetic :( we definitely both need some patient pants @Diane Tyler's Mom :smuggrin:

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  7. JBat75

JBat75 Member

8. JBat75

JBat75 Member

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Yes I think it does , I would reduce the dose to 1.75 units like Wendy said
    Have you resad the dosing methods for prozinc?
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/prozinc-dosing-methods.225629/
    For now if you are still going to use prozinc I would put what method you are going to follow
    SLGS Method
    You can get rid of the kibble and crumble some freeze dried treats on the wet food to get her to eat

As for treats

You can give any freeze dried treats they are all low carb
    Tap on this blue link and read post #64 the post numbers are to the right of each post and you can read about the freeze dried treats I listed

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-to-this-i-need-advice.269452/#post-3007388

You can even give plain boiled chicken pieces

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  10. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Suzanne & Darcy

@FrostD

11. JBat75

JBat75 Member

Ok. Thank you!!

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Tap on your name up top then tap on signature' add SLGS then tap save

13. JBat75

JBat75 Member

I get confused with the SLGS when she reads so high. I do worry about dropping it. It's not very often she gets below 100. It's so overwhelming. She's been a diabetic for 5 years and the last year has been so frustrating and stressful!!

14. Diane Tyler's Mom

Let me tag Wendy for you
    @Wendy&Neko

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

More information on the dosing methods in this file:
    PROZINC DOSING METHODS

We determine what dose to give based on how low the dose is taking the cat. We ignore the higher numbers that are the results of bounces.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.