01/19 bayley - question about test results

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Me and Bayley, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Me and Bayley

Me and Bayley Member

I haven't spoken with vet - they are closed but got a message that IAA was normal and that somatomedin (? - just going by voice mail message) is a "bit high"...... does this mean my huge fear is realized and my baby has a tumor...??? Starting to have a bit of watery eyes because I am pretty sure it does but a bit afraid of the answer which is why I have not yet just googled it ..... scared a bit. I know she is wonderful no matter what - I just still have dreams of years with my little kitten heart and I will even accept no possibleOTJ to have that..

2. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

(((Leslie))) A quick google does show that it's another name for IGF-1. But PLEASE... don't give up hope! My boy was diagnosed with acromegaly 3 YEARS AGO! And there is the stereotactic radiation surgery that Dr. Lunn is doing at Colorado State University (not sure if that's an option for you, but it's there). You already are getting some good control of Bayley's bgs and I see no reason that you won't continue to do that.

Of course this isn't a diagnosis that anyone wants, but it does allow you to know WHY she is "thirstier" for insulin than most diabetic cats. Knowing what's going on allows you to be PROACTIVE: make sure she gets good nutrition, keep an eye on her health via labwork, xrays, etc.

But you know what? You are totally right: Bayley is wonderful no matter what! She doesn't care what's "wrong" with her... she just knows that you love her and will take the absolute best care of her. And I know it doesn't seem possible, but the bond between the two of you will become even more special and even stronger.

So take some deep breathes, give your girl a kiss and a hug, and come back with whatever questions you may have-- no matter if they seem "silly."

((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))) to you and Bayley.

3. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Hi Leslie,

I'm very sorry about the results (please get and post the actual number for us). It is a devestating diagnosis, but it's also encouraging to see all the kitties that are doing well with just insulin. Of course, if you can find the money (and if she's otherwise healthy), you can do the stereotactic radiation surgery at CSU; it's about $5000.

Hang in there and love your baby and just take good care of her. You have been doing a wonderful job in keeping Bayley in pretty numbers.

Heather

4. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Oh Leslie
    I too just wanted to add my warmest thoughts. If that "bit high" is truly what it means - the acromegaly - it can be such a difficult time right now for you the mom. But like Carolynn said - Baylee doesn't know there is anything different with her. She's still your precious girl. Maybe even MORE special now. And we are all here for you!

We will help you with whatever you need/want.
    Sending you and Baylee warm hugs! :YMHUG: cat_pet_icon

5. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Re: 01/19 bayley - 233 - posted in Lantus ISG

confused_cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.