01/19 Eddie AMPS 346 +4 248 PMPS 403 +2 439 this is not good)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jodey&Eddie&Blue, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Jodey&Eddie&Blue Well-Known Member

Good morning,
    Well, after yesterday's numbers and the emergency event with my dog, Max, I was hoping to see something positive this morning with Eddie.:)

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/01-18-eddie-amps-427-2-311-pmps-299-2-5-347.258033/

I just don't understand what is happening with Eddie since the last two weeks--before we decreased to 6u--his numbers were fantastic. :cat:

I'm not being impatient, really, just truly mystified by these high numbers. I'm dreading the idea the tumour is active again...:eek:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    Reason for edit: additional information
  2. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

How is Max today? What a nerve-wracking experience that must have been.

As for Eddie, who knows. Biological processes aren’t always predictable or exacting—too many unknowns, I suppose—despite our strong desires for them to be so. Of course the human mind likes to play tricks on us and go straight to one’s worst fears. :(

Maybe a bit of self-talk might be in order? So let’s recap:
    Oct 2021 - Eddie hit a peak of 15u BID
    End of Nov 2021 - 8u BID
    Dec 2021 - hung out between 7.5-8u BID
    2nd week of Jan 2022 - down to 6u BID

That looks pretty promising in my book. Going back to 6.5u? Meh. In general, how is he acting? Does he seem overall to feel better?

A little bobbling on dose happens. It just does. Trying to figure out why can drive you crazy. Could it be the tumor pulsating? Sure. Is that likely? I don’t know, but I wouldn’t put my money on that. It might be a bit of inflammation from GI upset, or a touch of pancreatitis, or a brewing UTI, or slight variation in dose from new syringes, or a weather change, or stress from the dog being ill (or your reaction to it), or the full moon, the cricket farting three doors down, or your blue shirt. Ok, I might be joking about some of those :) but you get the gist. I really wish I could just give you a definitive answer as to why BG bobbles around occasionally. And if by some chance it’s the tumor, well, so be it. You’ll deal with it and help Eddie however is needed, just as you always do. :bighug:

Here’s hoping for some nicer numbers today… (and some peace of mind for you).

3. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Here's a pic of Max when I brought him home:

Attached Files:

Tiger(GA) and Ruth likes this.
  4. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

What a scary situation with poor Max!!! :nailbiting:Glad to hear Max is home safely, that is such a beautiful picture of him! :bighug: I read a few of the previous condos but was unable to determine why your vet recommended rice water for Eddie? Was it for diarrhea? I'm guessing the S.Boulardii worked a whole lot better. Yikes poor Eddie :bighug::bighug:

Jodey&Eddie&Blue likes this.
  5. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

It really was scary with Max. I’ve only learned later that bloat, as it’s called, can be deadly. Thank goodness he’s a good communicator. He’s slowly coming back. Thanks for asking. :bighug:
    And about the rice water: it was for diarrhea and yes it was recommended by the vet, actually by the *internist* who knows Eddie takes insulin because he prescribes it. I was asleep at the switch but not for long, thanks to folks responding here. The S. Boulardii is gold! Eddie no longer has diarrhea, at all. :cat:
    Now we’ll just carry on with our TR and see how how we go when wearing our patience pants (well mot Eddie but me) :)

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  6. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Well, PMPS 403. I look at what JL wrote:

"Maybe a bit of self-talk might be in order? So let’s recap:
    Oct 2021 - Eddie hit a peak of 15u BID
    End of Nov 2021 - 8u BID
    Dec 2021 - hung out between 7.5-8u BID
    2nd week of Jan 2022 - down to 6u BID

That looks pretty promising in my book. Going back to 6.5u? Meh. In general, how is he acting? Does he seem overall to feel better?"

Eddie seems ok but he's a little gnarly, more hissy than when he's in low numbers. Going back to 6.5 is good. I'm looking at the numbers and, of course, second-guessing myself that even if he came in January 11th at 76, maybe the conservative thing would have been to keep him at 6.5 regardless since he went up.

Really, I'm just thinking out loud...

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

There have been times in the past, where Eddie took 4-5 cycles to respond to an increase, dig out those patience pants. Tomorrow is another day.
    Last time on 6.5, he hit 70's in two cycles. Look what happened on 12/29 when you decided to hold a dose in spite of him hitting the 70's on 8.0 units. Wait, that was just 2.5 weeks ago and he's already down 1.5 units since then! :woot:

Jodey&Eddie&Blue likes this.
  8. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

I think as far as patient pants are concerned I need a whole suit! :smuggrin:

9. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Well, at PMPS +2 439, I'm going to call it a night. I won't lie, I'm still worried.