? 01/20 Binnie AMPS 63, 61 @ 0.5, 79 @1.5, 65 @2.5, 317 @+4.5

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by PatinToronto, Jan 20, 2022.

1. PatinToronto

PatinToronto Member

It was a very small sample. He's acting normally.
    NS. I fed him and I'm repeating soon.

2. PatinToronto

PatinToronto Member

Still low on repeat. A good sample this time.
    I fed him HC food this time.

3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

While you would not shoot since you are following SLGS, you need not feed HC. 60s are normal numbers on a human meter and since you are skipping, he will start coming up soon.
    just feed LC and test every hour.

4. PatinToronto

PatinToronto Member

OK tnx, it wasn't much, about a tsp but I panicked and no one was answering.
    i'm working at home today so I can recheck hourly in morning. Afternoon will be difficult. Hope he comes up

5. PatinToronto

PatinToronto Member

Also I need spreadsheet help. I can't remember who helped before? I didn't know how to put in a 1/2 hour value, and when I tried to put it into the AMPS column (with the previous reading) it autopopulated all the way down to end of Feb. I tried deleting but it's filling as i delete. And the 1/2 hour BG is now in the 1 hour for want of a place to put it.

6. Bandit's Mom

Fixed the SS. Since you aren't shooting, the 30 mins test will come in the +1 column.

7. PatinToronto

PatinToronto Member

Ahh thanks so much.
    And I did right not to shoot?

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  8. PatinToronto

PatinToronto Member

Not coming up much

9. Bandit's Mom

He is in safe numbers. Don't worry. He will keep going up slowly.

Normal blood sugar numbers on a human meter is 50-100 mg/dl (2.8-5.5 mmol/l).

PatinToronto likes this.
  10. PatinToronto

PatinToronto Member

He's pulling away and pawing my hand now when I do BGs. I don't blame him - I'm sick of me too. He's watching squirrels at the window. Should I feed again?

11. Bandit's Mom

Yes. Feed LC. It's okay to take a little break from testing.

12. PatinToronto

PatinToronto Member

OK thanks, I'll give him 1/2 can of his LC True Nature (about 40g.). You think maybe 2 hours for another BG? I have a Zoom meeting coming up in the afternoon and won't even be able to watch him if he goes off somewhere. Will you still be here? It's getting late in Mumbai.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  13. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Those are beautiful numbers. If following TR we would be doing a happy dance!:D

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  14. tiffmaxee

Two hours is fine. Just feed a teaspoon or two in an hour if he wants it. I will be around.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  15. PatinToronto

PatinToronto Member

OK thanks. No happy dance here yet, I'm so worried. But good to have my hand held -thanks :D

I'll offer food in an hour. Binnie always wants food; if he turned me down I'd be worried.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  16. tiffmaxee

As his numbers are in normal range more and more he won’t be starving. Greens are scary at first but always become contagious. Limes not quite as contagious.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    PatinToronto likes this.
  17. PatinToronto

PatinToronto Member

I'm so confused. I offered LC food at +3.5 but he didn't eat. He's been sleeping but this is his usual time to sleep.
    Now he's shot back up to 317! So confusing.

18. tiffmaxee

He’s bouncing from being in normal numbers. He’s used to being high so his body panics when in normal numbers and thinks they aren’t safe. Because you skipped his morning dose he’s going high also.

A second remission is harder to achieve. I just realized he’s a long term. You test enough for TR which would give a better chance at it or at least getting him more controlled as you would not need to skip and reduce as often. It’s best to get him under renal threshold.

How quickly did he go into remission the first time?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  19. PatinToronto

PatinToronto Member

OK so carry on. Do his PMPS and likely give insulin then? At the new dose (5.25?)

20. tiffmaxee

Your new dose is 4.75 as a reduction was earned with SLGS by the bg being under 90.

21. PatinToronto

PatinToronto Member

OK I read that wrong. I thought that meant only on the glucose curve, but it's reduce even if its on a regular BG? Will do.
    Maybe one more BG late afternoon as his PMPS is still 6 hours away,

Thanks so much.

22. tiffmaxee

Yes. Any time you get a bg under 90 you reduce the dose and keep the new dose until the next curve in 7 days. If there’s a bg under 90 again before the 7 days you reduce again and hold the dose for another 7 days from the day there’s a drop under 90. You decrease even if the under 90 occurs in the next cycle. Of course like today where you had several tests in one cycle you only take one reduction.

23. PatinToronto

PatinToronto Member

OK good to know. Is it just me, or are the SLGS instructions unclear on that? They say if under 90 hold insulin but no instns re: further dosing.
    Anyway, no matter. Binnie's dose down this evening.
    Thanks again! You're saving both our lives (altho' sweet Binnie is very annoyed with me right now).

24. tiffmaxee

No need for more tests until pmps.

25. PatinToronto

PatinToronto Member

Sorry, been reading on my phone and missed this somehow.
    He went into remission in about 5-6 mos. at 2U BID Lantus. But things have changed since then. Binnie now also has mediastinal lymphoma, also in remission at the moment. We have made a decision not to start chemo because results aren't good anyway with FeLV negative mediastinal, and my vet and I made that decision after diagnosis. So, with respect to his diabetes, it's not really remission I'm aiming for. It'd like to see a relief of his PUPD, while avoiding such tight regulation that he runs a risk of hypo while my husb and I are away at work (if we ever do return to the office). I also have a cat with CKD (and also PUPD) so dealing with a lot right now.

26. tiffmaxee

That makes perfect sense. How about lowering your reduction number just a little until he is able to get past the highs that cause the massive urinating. Is he getting prednisolone?

27. PatinToronto

PatinToronto Member

No. I think that is the one the vet wanted to avoid because he was already diabetic at that time and he thought it would make him worse. He felt if we used it, it should be in combination with two other drugs but even so we would only prolong life by about 9 months and that life might be worse if his diabetes was in poor control. I had a cat with intestinal lymphoma who did poorly on chemo - an awful experience and an awful death for Shadow.

That makes perfect sense. How about lowering your reduction number just a little until he is able to get past the highs that cause the massive urinating. Is he getting prednisolone?

What's reduction number? Agree. I'd love to give him some relief from drinking and peeing all day all night.

28. tiffmaxee

With SLGS you reduce if under 90. You could try reducing if under 70 perhaps? It would be custom dosing and you would put that in your signature to get proper advice.

I had a lymphoma kitty who was on chemo and possibly starting to go into remission but the oncologist missed a uti and destroyed her kidneys. She then got only prednisolone for about a year before I lost her. I understand.:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

29. PatinToronto

PatinToronto Member

Tnx. I still get a wave of nausea if I even hear the word lymphoma. To have a second cat with it is unbelievably cruel. I didn't know pred alone was an option. I'll ask our vet about it next time we're in. But of course, Binnie is in remission now (from the lymphoma, not the DM) so we watch and we wait.

OK I'll look at the reduction number thing - I'd like to find someone else's SS to see how they're doing it.

30. tiffmaxee

Everything would remain the same. You would follow SLGS but take reductions if his BG is ever under 70 instead of 90.

31. PatinToronto

PatinToronto Member

OK then I will. Thank you for everything.

Sorry for the loss of your lymphoma kitty too. It's such a hard thing.