01/25 Shurshishka - Question on Dosing for SLGS

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lizzee, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Lizzee

Lizzee Member

Currently Shurshishka is on .6u of insulin. I decreased it slightly from .75 after her PMPS numbers were too low for my liking. Tonight her nadir showed up as 83 at +6. I am currently awake and testing every 30 mins. Should I decrease the dose to .25 for an even number or .35?

2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hi! On SLGS, you take 0.25u reductions immediately, hold the dose for a week, unless kitty drops below 90. So since you are on 0.6 then the new dose would be 0.35. I'm not experienced enough to say to try 0.25 so can just pass along the dosing method info.

How are you measuring your dose now? Do you use calipers? There's good info on them here. I use MyLight app on my iPad instead of a Lightbox (and it was free :)).

You could also edit your title to indicate you have a question - At the top of your thread, click on thread tools > edit title. Add the date, cat name, and your question (e.g., "01/25 Furbaby - Question on Dosing for SLGS"). You can also pick the ? from the drop down on the left. Once your question is answered, you edit your title again and remove the ? from the drop-down and put your BG readings up instead of the question. Hope that helps get more eyes here :bighug:

3. Lizzee

Lizzee Member

4. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

my needle never touches a surface since it's in the middle of the syringe. You could keep the top on while you measure then take the top off to adjust the dose then put the top back on.

The fine dosing sticky is great too - calipers are popular as the lines on syringes can be wonky. Another popular thing to do is to create a "master" syringe with the dose in it using colored water or juice and then always measure to that one (so that you are always giving a consistent dose).

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

She’s looking really good. Congrats on the reduction. Have you thought about using a human meter? It makes things easier since tge methods are based upon them and you will save money on strips.

Lizzee likes this.
  6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Disclaimer: this advice is only for Lizzee and Shurshishka. Do not copy this advice or use it for your kitty.

As Susanne said, you always want to do increases and decreases on SLGS in 0.25u. We don’t “shave” doses. But, it’s going to be a challenge to reduce her to 0.35u and draw that consistently without calipers. My suggestion....on a one-time basis...is to just reduce her to 0.5u and get back on a line.

My thought process is that she didn’t drop much below 90 and you are using a pet meter. In this one case, it is fine to just reduce to 0.5u because to take her all the way down to the next easier line....0.25u...might stall her progress out too much and then you’d have to wait a week to take her back up. Conversely, if you put her on 0.5u and she earns a reduction, then you can take her to 0.25u.

How does that sound?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  7. Lizzee

Lizzee Member

I think that would be good. We shot .35 today but will try to stabilize her on .5u for at least a week and see how she does. Shes done wonderfully well ever since we switched up her diet from DM.

I plan on getting a human meter tomorrow.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  8. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Sounds good! Precious avatar.

9. Lizzee

Lizzee Member

Thank you! It's her little bumble bee costume which she was very not impressed with lol.

Marje and Gracie likes this.