01/25 Spacey PMPS=133

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Spacey & Ella, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Link to yesterday

Hi everyone,

I'm very glad to inform you that Spacey is doing extremely well.
    She is:
    - having a great appetite
    - eating
    - interested in her hc snacks (way too much interested :mrgreen: )
    - walking (with pain of course)
    - drinking
    - peeing
    - grooming
    - purring.

This morning hubby didn't want to give any Lantus at all. I convinced him to at least give her 0.5. Was he right and I wrong? Cause +3 the readings were 41. Luckily she is interested in her hc snacks, so I throw a lot of them in her. After that she also ate. Anyway, that would earn her a dose reduction I believe?
    But what dose do I reduce? Since we are so far of track I really could use some dosing advice.
    Also important: Today is my last day off, I won't be able to monitor her for the next 3 days. I have to keep that in mind when deciding how much to give.
    Right now it that even 0.5 is too much. But I have no idea how the shed comes into picture.

Further: even though she is okay right now, I will go with her to the vet this afternoon. She still didn't have any Metacam or AB. I try to get her on another painkiller. I hope that the vet will cooperate, Spacey's stomach is still irritated of course after 3 day's of vomiting.
    Somebody suggested some stuff yesterday. Thanks a lot. Will throw that at the vet. :lol:
    I'm also doing a ketone check later on this day. Just to make sure. (Was also suggested)

2. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Re: 01/25 Spacey AMPS=127, +3=41, +3.5=52 DOSE QUESTION

That is good news! Maybe since your other cat was also not feeling well, they both just had some kind of virus (flu like). I think there were a few other cats recently that had simular events.

Yup, she earned a reduction so your next dose as long as she is eating well should be .25U it seems impossible to draw, but look at the pictures in the sticky here and practice it a little. It seems like nothing (and it almost is nothing) but you will see it does work. There is even a smaller dose called .1U or a drop that will be your last stop on the way to the Falls!

Good luck with the vet and finding some pain meds. Keep an eye on Spacey you are doing just fine!

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Good morning, and congratulations on the dose reduction. I hope you get what you and Spacey need from the vet, today.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Ella:

It's great to hear that Spacey is feeling better! I hope the vet can help you to sort out what was causing her to feel so badly.

Please wait to get more feedback before deciding what dose to shoot. I believe you reduced the dose this morning due to Spacey having had a run of low pre-shot numbers. From your SS, it looks like you were shooting 1.50 units. Spacey would have earned a dose reduction to 1.25u on 1/23 - although you reduced to 1.0. Right now, it's hard to know what Spacey's dose would be given her illness, previous appetite issues, etc. It very well may be that a much lower dose will be the best route to go but that may also mean that a low dose will be inadequate once Spacey is fully back to normal. Hopefully, a few more of the experienced people here will be by to lend a hand.

5. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

6. Greg and Carmelita (GA)

Greg and Carmelita (GA) Member

I agree with Sienne that there is a lot going on here, and it might be difficult to untangle all the strands of it to see what exactly would be The Right Answer, but...

If she's getting these kinds of lows, AND is definitely having pain, that suggests to me that the dose may be a bit too high.

I'm glad you didn't skip the shot this morning, a BCS was a good call--lets the shed down without flattening it completely. But I would take a reduction for sure, 0.25 off of her regular dose, from here out. Especially as close monitoring will not be happening soon. You want to be able to feel safe leaving her all day.

41 at +3 sounds like reduction territory in any case, it might be that the right dose is actually -0.5 from what she's been getting... but stepping down by 0.25 increments seems to be a more successful strategy.

7. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Re: 01/25 Spacey AMPS=127, +7=95 DOSE QUESTION

Just returned from the vet.
    Her call: no ab and no metacam for the time being. Until Spacey is back on her paws. She did give her something for the nausea. Temperature was also normal. We both have no idea at the moment whether Spacey needs the ab (for bladder infection) of not. We see about that later.

The vet still thinks that metacam is the way to go. But I made clear that I wasn't so sure of that and came with a couple of options. We (vet and I) wait with the choice on what to give her as well. Meanwhile I try to get the cosequin around here.

The insulin:
    The dose she was on eventually was 1.5 IE bid. I should have gone 0.25 lower on that one. So to 1.25.
    But, because she didn't eat, I tried the 1. But I had to force feed her on that dose and since that didn't went well, we gave her nothing the day after (she still didn't eat).
    This morning the 0.5 and she is eating now. But with 0.5 she is still lower than 50. So I guess I will give her 0.25 the next couple of day's. But I will expect her numbers to go up cause she is eating now again.
    Anyhow: 0.25 it is and then from there on increasing again (I suspect). But I rather have her on some higher numbers the next day's than lying in a coma when I'm back from work.
    Such a pitty with the vomiting and all. I truly have no idea where she is right now.

And I'm glad you all think with me. :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.