02/28/2021 Buddy PMPS 196 +4 34 +5 54 +6.5 44 +6.75 46

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sandra And Buddy (GA), Feb 28, 2021.

1. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

Sandra And Buddy (GA) Well-Known Member

Last condo

Buddy is not doing well today, I am glad he is running high today because he is not eating. I got him to eat a little at shot time and maybe a 1/2 tsp or so at +2 I am pretty sure he has got something wrong teeth wise. very painful to even try to touch him.

I can't get into a vet today there is a 4+ hour wait at the ER (3 different vets) and even if I did get in they say that cant do anything with dental today. so I will call first thing in the morning to his regular vet.

I got a hold of some cbd oil and managed to get a partial dose in him, hoping it will help a little.

I also have some
    Rimadyl
    that I got for my dog and I see that it is NOT FDA approved for cats any one know anything different?

I also have some
    Human Gabapentin (600mg) tablets
    Any way for me to make use of this? I know its a big dose but I could crush it and weigh it out to a proper dose.

I of course will not do anything that has not been successfully done and is safe. I just hate seeing him hurting.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Poor Buddy, I hope you can get him treated soon.

I would not use the Rimadyl - NSAID's in general are not good for cats. Check to see if the gabapentin has anything else in it. Warning here. Any chance of getting a hold of a vet or someone to help you with dosing? A good pill cutter might help you cut it to size, a pharmacy might have one of those.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  3. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear Buddy isn't feeling well :bighug: Hugs to you too Sandra :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Has Buddy visited any of the ERs previously? If so, perhaps the vet would dose out some pain meds to get you through the day/night? Just a thought to try.

Hugs :bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

He has not seen any of the ER vets, but I did ask on the phone if there was any pain meds I could get and they said not without the vet actually seeing him.

5. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

ugh not surprising for them to say but still stinks. Perhaps you can get a sliver off your tablet (e.g., 100mg or 50mg)? Thinking of you all :bighug:

6. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

Hmm, well I am not sure if I am ok just wingin it with gaba. I don't want to just make him sleep more either. I am going to make another call into the vet.

7. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

Regular vet is of course closed, and the ER vets will not give me dosing advice for gaba. Hmm. well, hopefully the cbd will help a little.

So If I can't get him to eat then I cant give him his PM shot. I don't think he will let me syring some food in, that is how I got the cbd down and he was not happy with that at all.

8. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Healing prayers:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Sandra And Buddy (GA) likes this.
  9. Wendy&Neko

You can give half dose at least, if he won't eat. Insulin does more in the body that counteract carbs in meals. Cats undergoing anaesthesia who cannot eat, still get half dose per most vets.

Syringe feeding takes practice, took me a while and keeping on trying to find what worked for Neko and me.

10. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi Sandra. I’m so sorry that your Buddy is in pain. It’s hard to see them like that and not be able to help alleviate that pain. I would not give my cat Rimadyl. I wish you had some buprenorphine on hand. I hope you can get some veterinary help soon.

11. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

12. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

PMPS 196 gave a reduced dose due to not eating. He managed to eat about 1tsp HC, I figured he would eat that over anything. Not much has changed during the day, we are just holding on until tomorrow. Reduced dose by 1/2u while he is not eating well. i will syringe feed if need.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  13. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

+4 34 , Got him to eat tsp LC with honey and some gravy from some HC, he just kinda lays down on the floor where ever he is at this point.

14. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Apply honey to his gums if he doesn't eat.

15. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

+4.25 38 he ate another tsp of the LC with honey and a little HC

Suzanne & Darcy and Bandit's Mom like this.
  16. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

Getting anywhere near his gums is a no go. He is so sore there, and gets very angry if I try. He seems to be hungry enough from not eating that he will eat a little.

17. Bandit's Mom

I think I would stick to HC/honey till he is over 50. Not fill him up with LC. Can you apply honey on his lips so he will lick it off?

18. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

The reason for the LC is because he can't eat the HC due to mouth pain, I think I will try and blend the HC into a pate. I will try the honey on his lips.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  19. Bandit's Mom

Honey is the fastest way to bring him up. If you can apply it anywhere where he will lick it. His lips, snout, hands (if he is an over-groomer though he may be in too much pain to bother)

20. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

Ok got some honey on his lips under his nose.
    blended some HC into a soup? LOL

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  21. Bandit's Mom

Great! Did he eat the HC? I hope the honey brings him up. He seems to like to make you slog every other night!

22. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

44 at 4.5 honey on lips and few licks of food
    51 at 4.75 No food, check in 15 mins

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  23. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

@Bandit's Mom Havent tried what I blended yet. things been moving too fast here LOL will try next, I am sure he will need it

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  24. Bandit's Mom

Yup. The night is still young! I am becoming familiar with Buddy's variety of PJ parties! LOL

If he is over 50 at +5, you can switch to half hour tests. His poor ears!

25. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

54 at +5. Will try no food and check in 30

26. Bandit's Mom

OK. But if he wants to eat, let him have the LC. He will likely dip once the carb wears off. I don't need to tell you this. You are doing it every other night! :D

27. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

@Bandit's Mom Yes a little to frequent lately, be careful what you wish for blah blah blah and stuff.
    the board is keeping you busy tonight, Thank you for being here for everyone!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  28. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

50 at +5.5 no food check in 30

29. Bandit's Mom

Why are you withholding food? Let him eat if he wants to. He is still low and likely to keep dipping way into the night! :)

30. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

not so much withholding, He is refusing, I figured he would probably drop more though I am actually doing another check right now, and will make him get up if need.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  31. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

49 at +5.75 made him get out of bed and he ate 1/2 tsp of HC soup. Not wanting LC at this point Check in 30.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  32. Bandit's Mom

HC is fine since he's going to be living dangerously again tonight! Were you able to give him anything for the pain? Besides the CBD?

33. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

No, couldn't get any of the vets that I talked to to help me. Just trying to keep him comfortable. I couldn't even get another dose of cbd in him, he wont let me get close to his mouth, I may try again while he is half asleep, although I don't want to choke him either. Vet call first thing in the morning.

34. Bandit's Mom

You don't want to try the human gabapentin? I have no experience with it, so can't help with dosing.

35. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

the docs wouldnt help with dosing. they are 600 mg tabs, and from looking online a starting dose would be about 15mg. I could probably split the dose but would be really easy to mess it up. So it just makes me a bit nervous. thought about a 1/4 tab it into food and then splitting the food. May work. might think on it some more.

36. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

44 at +6.5 tsp HC

37. Bandit's Mom

oh! breaking a 600mg tab into 15mg would be tough. easy to mess up like you said.

38. Bandit's Mom

give honey! apply on lips/snout

39. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

could be done though! Just not sure I want to attempt.

40. Bandit's Mom

yeah. better to be safe.

41. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

Honey! done. Well did karo this time but yeah.

Bandit's Mom and Liz & Minnie like this.
  42. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

46 at +6.75 Ugh! tsp HC and honey. c'mon now.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  43. Bandit's Mom

How much do you think Buddy has eaten so far tonight in terms of what he would eat normally? 10%? 25%?
    I wonder if you need to take that reduction to 4.5U after all. If you have to keep him up every other night with HC and honey....

44. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

I was thinking the same. Normally He will eat about 1 can per day maybe a little more. All day today he probably ate a little over 1/4 can . that is including the extra that he has been getting tonight. he also only ate 1/4 - 1/2 can yesterday. I am really surprised that I am getting him to eat tonight, Must be the HC (of course I could be off a bit)

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  45. Wendy&Neko

The 30's always means a reduction, regardless of circumstances. If he won't take syrup in his mouth, there is always the other end. :blackeye:

46. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

Yes I have my dropper bottle ready for that! I am just happy he is eating tonight.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  47. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

When George's mouth was sore I found that he would lick the food of a teaspoon, but not the bowl.

My other cat would lick it off my fingers.

48. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

52 at +7.5 Are we there yet? Should I feed or see if he can hold it. seems to be about the same time he would start coming up.

Last night and This morning I had to hand feed him he would not eat out of the bowl.

49. Bandit's Mom

Since he hasn't eaten enough yesterday and today, I would let him eat if he will. It's okay if it is late in the cycle.

50. Gill & George

that's what I found i had to do with George until he got some pain relief. It was a struggle but the only way I could get food into him. His bad teeth made him feel so bad, that I too was questioning whether it was his time, initially the regular vet didn't diagnose his problem and wanted me just to watch him, he was deteriorating in front of my eyes, a second opinion, and my suspicion it was his mouth, saw him treated for really bad gingivitis, and then scheduled for extractions, the original vet didn't want to address his teeth problems, becuase he was old, diabetic and CKD, the second vet was more experienced and took the view that either we sorted his teeth out or they would kill him anyways if we did nothing. The dental wasn't without risk, but it went well and 3 years on my 21year old boy is doing well. I hope you can get to a vet soon, to have them look at his mouth and see if there is something they can do about that.

I agree with Bhooma let him eat after nadir, just no food within 2 hrs of amps.

51. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

57 at +8 whew! 6.75 was his last food, he wasn't interested last check. So he is holding and coming up.
    He did just eat 2 tsp of HC soup Not sure if he is doing better eating because it is HC or because it is soup, I will make a LC soup in the morning and see how he does with that. but for now I am heading to bed. AMPS comes in 4 hrs.

Thank you so much to everyone. tomorrow will be a busy day.

Bandit's Mom and Gill & George like this.
  52. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

Heading to the vet, will update in new condo later.

Gill & George and Bandit's Mom like this.
  53. Bandit's Mom

Sending vines. Fingers and paws crossed! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

54. Gill & George

Prayers, vetty vines and paws crossed:bighug: