03/03 Pookie: AMPS 304, +10 184 - first time in blue!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Fog123, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Fog123

Fog123 Member

Hi,

We have been at 1.25 U for almost a week now and are going to do a curve tomorrow. Today we've been out and about and Pookie hasn't received his smaller meals throughout the day like we usually give him so his +10 hrs reading is essentially a fasted reading.

We haven't seen numbers this low since we started really tracking his doses. It's likely due to the fasting and may not mean anything, other than highlighting the importance of testing overnight.

We've given him some food for now and will test again at his normal dosing time. He's been gaining weight now that he's starting to feel better and is at a good weight right now. We wouldn't want him much heavier so we're trying to figure that out as well.

I may come see you folks in a couple of hours. It's interesting because since we moved to the 1.25 U we've been in the pink the whole time, with only a couple yellows.

I'll take suggestions now if anyone has any to offer. I assume that eating will bring him back up a bit.

I have looked at the dosing posts as well, but will re-read them again too.

Thanks

2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Sure hope you can get a test tonight after PMPS...you may be in for a nice surprise...he's making real progress!

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  3. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Nice blue:cool:

So you've fed him a snack at +10. Now you need to withhold food from now until PMPS so that his PMPS is not food influenced.

ONe option is to get a test at +11.5, so 30 minutes before PMPS, and post that so we can get an idea of where Pookie might be headed. Whether you do this or not, come PMPS we suggest for newbies that you post for help if the number is <200.

The important thing to remember when you are faced with a lower pre-shot number and needing help, is that you DO NOT FEED until we help you decide whether to shoot. The reason for this is: we may want to see if Pookie's BG is rising or falling before recommending whether or not you shoot. If you feed him, that number will be food influenced so it becomes more difficult to determine whether Pookie's BG is rising because the AM cycle insulin dose is wearing off, or whether he is rising because you gave him food. That then makes it harder for us to help you decide whether to shoot or not.

4. Fog123

Fog123 Member

OK, so made a mistake on the +10, it was 191 rather than 184. Just did PMPS and he's at 187. No food since +10.

So I'm here for help. Should I have made a different post? Guidelines say not to.

We won't feed or dose him until we hear back from you.

Thanks for your help.

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  5. Butters & Lyla

So what you would do when stalling is edit your title to add pmps 187 and Stalling please help! and add the question mark title.

are you able to stay up and test tonight if pookie drops lower?
    Do you have plenty of test strips plus mc/hc foods and syrup or honey?

6. Butters & Lyla

If you shoot, I would want you to get a +1 and +2 to start. Others may advise different.

I cannot advise you specifically to shoot because there is a rule on the board that whoever tells a newbie to shoot will stay up with them for as long as needed to coach them if the cat goes into unfamiliar lower numbers and help is needed. I have my hands full with butters and haven’t been feeling well, so I can’t commit to staying on the board with you.

187 isn’t that low but With lack of testing data, I’m just not sure what pookie will do.

7. Fog123

Fog123 Member

I'm still trying to figure out how to edit the title. I can edit the text.

We are recovering from a major family drama and are exhausted.
    I would prefer not to dose tonight just in case things go south. We've been through a seizure already with him and we'd rather not do that tonight.

Is it ok not to dose?

8. Butters & Lyla

You hold the syringe. Ultimately it is up to you. Please check for ketones though.
    Another option is to shoot a token dose.
    That said, i personally am just not comfortable advising you to shoot anything knowing that you aren’t going to test him.

9. Butters & Lyla

If you look just below your thread title, all the way to the far right, it says “thread tools”. Click on that and then click on “edit title”.

10. Fog123

Fog123 Member

@Butters & Lyla - thanks for your help on this. I hope you start feeling better and that Butters will as well.

We're going to run a curve tomorrow. I'm not the sharpest tool today and I'd rather have Pookie higher overnight.

Again, thank you so much. We'll start over tomorrow.