? 03/09 Chippy +8@155; +11.5@111

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chippy & Ingrid, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Chippy & Ingrid

Chippy & Ingrid Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/posts/2756734/
    Once again, Chippy is on the borderline of what I feel comfortable shooting. Last night we reduced his dose from 1 to 0.5 because he was low. This morning we moved up to .75, thinking that would be following the 1/4 dose reduction suggestion from the 1 he had been on for the previous 3 days. Now he's low again, so am thinking of reducing to 0.5 again. If I do shoot at .5 tonight, should I just keep it at that dose for 3 days?

Just to emphasize, all of our numbers are with the Alphatrak, so my understanding is that 111 translates to roughly 81 on the human meters.

2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

So you've been doing this for about a month now. So I see a very nice number and would hope that Chippy can stay in these nice numbers which will only happen if you can shoot the normal amount of insulin tonight.

Same questions: Are you able to test after the PM shot? Plenty of strips on hand? Do you have a variety of foods on hand in case the numbers continue to drop? Medium and high carb wet foods/honey or karo syrup. Dry food is not ideal for managing lower numbers as it takes too long to hit the bloodstream.

You really should not reduce the dose based on pre-shot numbers unless you're getting a 'no-shoot' number. It's best to observe the nadirs during the cycle and then decide if Chippy has earned a reduction? Did he go below 90 today? Doesn't look like it - so you're still on track to shoot the same dose you shot this morning. The final decision is made at PMPS - if below 90, stall, do not feed, ask for help on the forum. At that point you have options to consider and folks will discuss those with you at that time....

You've changed the dose so much in the last few days that the BG numbers are going to be wonky due to the lack of stability in dosing and the depot can't build with so many changes. Per SLGS you need to hold the dose for at least a week:

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-low-go-slow-slgs-tight-regulation-tr.210110/
    Hold the dose for at least a week:
    • Unless your cat won’t eat or you suspect hypoglycemia
    • Unless your kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L). If kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L) decrease the dose by 0.25 unit immediately.
    I'm going to tag some folks who are on here later in the day in case you need help - as I'm an early bird so I'm up at 5ish and go to bed early.

@tiffmaxee @Bandit's Mom @Wendy&Neko

3. Chippy & Ingrid

Chippy & Ingrid Member

Thank you, Sue. I just tested again after eating, and he's at 146, so plan to go ahead with the 3/4. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the numbers. Are the numbers you reference above (90, etc.) on the human meter or the alphatrak? From what I understand there's a significant difference and that's contributing to my low-number jitters.

4. Sue and Luci

90 on SLGS

5. Chippy & Ingrid

Chippy & Ingrid Member

Right, I understand that, but I think that 90 is using a human meter, so would be a higher number if I'm using the Alphatrak?

6. Sue and Luci

I’m not familiar enough with the AT2 to tell you...
    I’m sorry.

7. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

On SLGS, the reduction point is <90 no matter the meter.

It's also always good to keep in mind there is no conversion between human meters and pet meters.

8. Chippy & Ingrid

Chippy & Ingrid Member

Thank you both!

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

There is no such conversion. We've had plenty of people compare their AT to their human meter and we haven't seen any such translation.
    Again, we have no way of translating one to the other, so we use 90 for both types of meters. They are really much closer as you get lower in number.

Thankfully Chippy is looking really nice and fairly flat now. He's responding really well to the Lantus. :cool:

Chippy & Ingrid likes this.