? 03/11 Chippy, AMPS 143; reduce dose again?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chippy & Ingrid, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Chippy & Ingrid

Chippy & Ingrid Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/posts/2757195/
    Good morning!
    Chippy was down to 84 (alphatrak) on his bedtime test last night. According to the SLGS protocol that means we should reduce his dose again. I feel like we're dropping his dose every couple of days and rarely making it to 6 full cycles. Are there any problems with this? We did give him a "skinny" 3/4 this morning.

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

He is earning and holding reductions so no reason to worry! :)

We don't skinny or fatten doses unless a full 0.25U increase or decrease does not work multiple times. Your SS says 0.75U for today's AM shot.

Have you thought about switching to TR? You can stay at a dose that allows Chippy to stay in normal numbers longer. Though, with the AT, 68 and 90 are not too far apart.

3. Chippy & Ingrid

Chippy & Ingrid Member

The 1/4 dose is always a bit of a guess for us anyway. DH and I both look at the dose carefully and try to determine how close we are, but it likely fluctuates a tiny bit each time despite our best efforts. I'll be glad to get back to a dose that's right on the line. :)

We've thought about it, but I'm still not sure I can handle those very low numbers. We're meeting a new vet next week who is (supposedly) familiar with and open to TR. Our current vet is not a proponent of TR and we've been getting a ton of pushback from her along with warnings that we're going to wind up in the ER in the middle of the night, so that's not helping my confidence. :(

4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

He did earn a reduction to 0.5U last night! :)

Chippy & Ingrid likes this.
  5. Chippy & Ingrid

Chippy & Ingrid Member

What is "S1" on your spreadsheet?

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

S1 is skinny 1.0.

I hope your new vet encourages TR. Chippy is doing so well but with TR has a better shot at a strong remission if he continues this way.

Chippy & Ingrid and Bandit's Mom like this.