? 03/12 Ruddys pmps 220

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Colleen & Pantera, Dec 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colleen & Pantera

Colleen & Pantera Member

can someone take a look at Ruddys SS, he moved out on Sunday and is just living with my Son only and its now Thursday evening, he hasn't been eating a lot and we have been decreasing his dose due to lower numbers. Do I keep giving 3u when over 180 and lower dose when under 180 or do I start lowering it for good.
    Thankyou

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Colleen, your signature and SS say that you are following the TR dosing method? If so, reductions are earned only when the BG drops below 50 (on a human meter). Ruddy has not yet earned a reduction.

I see that you have been shooting reduced doses in the last 2-3 days based on lower pre-shots. Different doses on different days confuses the depot. Lantus dosing is not based on pre-shot numbers but based on how low the dose takes the kitty. The idea with TR is to eventually shoot any number above 50. That confidence comes with experience and after you have enough data on now your cat responds to insulin. Going forward, if you encounter a lower number than you are comfortable with, you stall, don't feed and post here for advice. :)

Is Ruddy's appetite loss significant? I have found that Bandit eats less in summer than winter. Also with her numbers coming down, she no longer feels that excessive hunger that unregulated kitties feel because they cannot process all the food they eat.

Lastly, I see that mid-cycle tests have been missed in the last few days. Without those tests, one cannot ascertain how low the kitty is going on that dose. Many cats go low at night and bounce during the day. TR requires at least 1 more test per cycle in addition to the pre-shot test. Is that something you can do?

Here's a link to your previous thread for continuity:
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...mps-333-pmps-315-dosing-advise-please.238624/

3. Colleen & Pantera

Colleen & Pantera Member

Thankyou for your reply, unfortunately Ruddy isn't with me anymore. My Son lives 1hr away now with him. I am pretty sure his lack of eating is due to him dropping lower and no other cat to hassle him whilst eating. He has stopped his lunch and supper, only eats 1 can in am and 1 can in pm. Hope that's enough. That's why I am concerned about his 3u of insulin still. He tests amps and pmps and isn't able to do others. I hassle him if Ruddy is under 180 to do a test before bed at least.

4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

We don't know if 3U is too high or not enough unless we are able to ascertain how low it is taking Ruddy. Also, a pre-shot need not be an indication of how low the cat can go. We have had kitties start a cycle in the 300s or 400s and dip to low double digits!

Can your son get a test once in the AM cycle before heading out to work and a before bed test every day?

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...ion-possible-with-a-full-time-job-yes.129378/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.