? 03/23 Butters AMPS 95/+8 88 - Need help with probiotic recommendations please!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Butters & Lyla, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Yesterday overnight, another non-diabetic seizure for Butters. Her previous one was 12/03, and the one before that was two years prior or more.

She fell asleep spooning with me (she was the big spoon this time). About 30 minutes after we fell asleep, something startled me awake and she wasn't on my bed, which isn't normal. I found her mid-seizure half under the couch, and in my sleep induced haze I immediately assumed it was due to hypoglycemia and so I administered syrup unnecessarily:banghead:. It didn't hurt her too much numbers-wise at least.

On an unrelated note, her vet wants me to consider a multi-strain probiotic for her. We looked at Visbiome Vet but it isn't available in Canada. I see Mercola has one, so I was thinking maybe that. There are some Canadian made ones that also include digestive enzymes and things like kelp and alfalfa. Not sure about those.

Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations for a multi-strain probiotic that they use for their kitty? Her tummy issues have really centered around gas (burping and discomfort after meals) and constipation. Thanks so much for any thoughts:bighug:.

Have a great day, all.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  2. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Feel better pretty little girl:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

4. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the seizure. It's been a while since that's happened, right? Still must be jarring. Hope Butters is all right. :bighug:

I just started Ruby on Visbiome today. Will let you know how she does on it. I bought the one for humans because it's cheaper and you just give less to the kitty. I know Visbiome is planning on selling in Canada sometime this year.

Here are alternatives to Visbiome from Raw Feeding for IBD Kitties FB group files. Perhaps they will be available in Canada.

Now 10 – 50bil per cap, contains FOS as the prebiotic (can make some cats gassy) https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Probiotic-10-Billion-Veg-Capsules/dp/B0031RJXCK/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=now+10&qid=1615487954&sr=8-9

Nexabiotics – 17.25bil per cap. Contains inulin as the prebiotic. https://www.amazon.com/DrFormulas-Probiotics-Saccharomyces-Lactobacillus-Acidophilus/dp/B0050FKPU0/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=nexabiotics&qid=1615488077&sr=8-5

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  5. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Adrienne & Molly (GA) Well-Known Member

Poor Butter's I hope you can find a good probiotic for her. Enjoy the rest of your day Lyla :bighug:

6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I am in Canada and give Visbiome, I just feed the human version, the unflavoured packets, not the vet version. I started getting and using it for cats before the vet one was created. I think it’s something like 1/16th of tsp I give. A packet lasts about a week.

If you want me to dig, I can find what my vet recommended an what I used before then. It was a Natural Factors one.

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Can you get Proviable D/C? It's another one of the "good ones"? It comes in a capsule and I just pop it into Darcy with a piller and then give treats/a little canned food after. I don't know if Butters can be pilled though.

9. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh wow. I didn't know that you could get the human version. I bet it's cheaper than the vet version?

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  10. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for your beautiful Butters, Lyla. Sometimes when I am seeking advice and information on this site I don't realize that so many of you have your own problems and concerns with your kitties. I am so grateful to all of you and I promise to be a better supporter of your issues. Hope you can find something to alleviate the seizures for your kitty.

11. Suzanne & Darcy

Lyla, I'm so sorry that Butters had a seizure. I see that she had these before. Is she back to normal now in her walking and in other ways? How do these affect her? Does your vet know why she's having these seizures (although infrequently)? That must be very upsetting. I have seen cat seizures before and to me they are very scary. This was a senior cat with CKD though and she had developed high blood pressure (even though we checked it regularly). She went blind but only temporarily and had a hard time walking for a while but she recovered that within a few weeks as well. My senior cat Maverick had a similar situation.

I pray that, in Butters' case, there are not lasting effects.

12. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

The human and vet capsules are exactly the same, containing 112.5 billion bacteria per capsule. I did a calculation comparing the two and the human is about $.10 per capsule cheaper than the vet version and you get more in a container, reducing shipping costs a bit. Plus with the human one you can buy them bundled and that saves some money as well.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  13. Butters & Lyla

Don't dig just yet. Thanks. I had looked at the packets available to us but dismissed them as an option after reaching out to Visbiome. The packets have a few non-medicinal ingredients that seem questionable, cornstarch in particular is the first ingredient. I wasn't keen to give her cornstarch particularly when they told me that 1/2 a packet daily is what they recommended for my 4kg cat:rolleyes:. Seems like a lot of cornstarch for a diabetic.

1/16 tsp seems more reasonable at least. Do you think there would be any issues with her BG?

14. Butters & Lyla

Thanks for the suggestions. Visbiome (and visbiome vet) capsules are not approved by our regulator, Health Canada. And they don't know if or when that will ever happen. But for some reason these Visbiome sachets filled with other junk in them are fine for us to use:confused:.

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  15. Butters & Lyla

So far she hasn't had neurological damage from a seizure <anti-jinx>. I really hope she never gets that. She is tired but otherwise back to normal. Other than making her very tired, they don't seem to affect her. The vet doesn't know why they happen although because she has been getting them off and on since she was younger, he thinks maaaaybe epilepsy. But it would be an expensive endeavour to really figure it out. Her vet says not worth it unless they become more frequent. Hers seem to last only a couple of minutes.
    Thanks very much, Summer! :bighug: Very kind words. Sometimes it seems like it is a rare cat who "only" has FD, although I think they exist.

16. Suzanne & Darcy

I'm so happy to hear that Butters doesn't seem to have lasting damage from them and is only a little tired. Did it spike her blood glucose?

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  17. Butters & Lyla

The last one didn't, but she was unregulated then, though, so it was already pretty high.
    This time, because I was dead asleep my mind immediately went on auto-pilot and I rubbed syrup on her gums without even thinking....even though I'd checked her BG less than an hour prior and it was fine! But given that her numbers recovered quickly I don't think the seizure had any impact on them.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  18. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

I'm so glad she's okay and hope you can find a probiotic that can help that complicated gut system :bighug:

PS - I'm having trouble imagining your 4kg cat being the big spoon :p

19. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Unfortunately, I haven't given it to a cat that was diabetic so didn't measure glucose effects. Other than periodic testing because they were also getting steroids. No issues with BG on that small sample.

Renew Life Ultimate Flora was a popular one here for a while too. The Natural Factors Protec doesn't seem to be made anymore, but they have lots of multi strain options. And then you get fillers like cellulose. :confused:

I too hope that seizure was a one and done. :bighug:

Nice PMPS for a possible fur shot. :D

20. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Oh my...I'm sorry to hear Butters had another seizure!

Just wanted to add that my bosses' specialty is epilepsy - not sure how he'd fit all those electrodes into that small kitty-cat brain, but he does it all the time for us hoomans. It's been quite successful...

I do hope she is feeling better...sending healing vines to you both (I'm sure you need them as much as Butters!)...what a shock that must have been. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

21. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    i cant imagine anyone would have done differently.
    esp given some of her shenanigans at the end of last year.
    i hope butters feels better sooner.
    oh, wait, kit is here .... she's saying ....
    dear butters, you have taught me the great knowledge that this is not the way to score delicious treats.
    your grasshopper, kit

22. Butters & Lyla

Maybe it wasn't a fur shot after all. That's the lowest PS I've seen in quite a while:confused:.
    Thanks for the info. I'll poke around some more and decide but there are just soooo many out there. Visbiome costs a small fortune so to have to take a chance on whether it will affect BG doesn't seem worth it. I have to check if they have a return policy, though. I've seen cellulose in some probiotics too. Do I want my cat to have cellulose or cornstarch with her probiotic...decisions, decisions:rolleyes:.

23. Butters & Lyla

Thanks Sue:bighug: Oh and I'm sending Butters to Michigan right now. Writing up a shipping label as I type this. Your boss sounds brilliant; I'm sure he will find a way to fit those electrodes into her teeny weeny brain. :joyful:

Sue and Luci likes this.
  24. Butters & Lyla

I mean, it does look rather comical when she tries to wrap her legs up and over my shoulders:joyful:. Maybe she is playing the big little spoon. lol.

JaxBenji, thebigfuzz and JOJI and Kit like this.
  25. Butters & Lyla

Dear grasshopper,
    You are wise beyond your years, learning from my mistakes.
    Your mentor,
    butterz

thebigfuzz and JOJI and Kit like this.
  26. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

On the constipation issue...have you thought of adding a little fiber to her diet? Psyllium fiber is safe for diabetics. Just a little bitty pinch each meal.

I helps bind water to the stool reducing constipation. It can also add a bit of bulk, which can be a good thing or not for some.

Cosmo’s dry food has psyllium, fish oils, chicory root, prebiotics and all sorts of other good #2 things - though, I wouldn’t recommend the dry, of course to a diabetic kitty.

27. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about Butters' seizure, Lyla! :bighug:

Second Tanya's recommendation of psyllium husk for constipation. When Budge was constipated, I started adding a little to her two main meals and that took care of the problem.

28. Missy & Tammy

Missy & Tammy Well-Known Member

Oh Lyla, I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet girl. I hope she is feeling better soon and there are no more seizures. You're such a good Mama and it's so obvious how much you love her. Sending love and prayers :bighug::bighug::bighug: