? 04/01Magellan amps 124 +5,55 pmps 63 +3,48+4,45+5,24+.15,87+.30,133+6,81+.15,109+7,141+.30,316

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Julia Rae, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

Looks like Magellan has plans this eving.. hope it is not april fools!

2. Julia Rae

Awwww F!@#%$# me running

3. Julia Rae

honey given and giving gravy with more honey

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  4. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Oh Magellan...looks like he means business. Good job getting him up from 24 to 133. Glad you caught the 24. Is Magellan okay? Did he show any symptoms of a hypo?

Julia Rae likes this.
  5. Julia Rae

Megellan is doing well, thanks for asking. As for symptoms he does not show them, never has. That is what has always scared me in the beginning. The trick is honey on top of hc gravy. Thank god he no longer tries to fight me on his treatments.. much.

6. Butters & Lyla

Oh right, i forgot that about him. I'm glad he is somewhat better than he was about the treatments, though! Please stay up now, Magellan.

Given he went <40, that would earn a reduction. It is also the 3rd drop <50. I know you're at .1u, so maybe it would go to a drop dose? I don't give actual dosing advice...I'm just musing. Tagging @Bandit's Mom for dosing help for you. When is your next shot, Julia? @tiffmaxee may be on before then too.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Julia Rae likes this.
  7. Julia Rae

With this reduction he begins his ojt trials.. he is due for another test in 15 min

8. Julia Rae

looks like Magellan is up to his standard antics... A bobbing,boy!!!! :banghead:;):rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. Butters & Lyla

He is really enjoying his april fool's day:cat:

Julia Rae likes this.
  10. Julia Rae

Whom do I send pictures to for the ojt party..

11. Julia Rae

off to bed, fell asleep sitting up!

12. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Julia, I'm afraid from looking at Magellan's SS that it doesn't look like he's quite ready to try an OTJ trial. In part, I see too many yellows, some high blues, and not really enough greens. Ideally, you want to see numbers mostly in the normal range before going OTJ completely.

Magellan may be a cat that would benefit from some higher carb food, perhaps something like a 10-12% earlier in the cycles, to try and help him flatten him out, since those lower numbers end up throwing him into a bounce, like he is currently doing tonight. He may also benefit from a drop dose, which is basically hold the plunger and insert the syringe when it is at zero, release the plunger, and let the syringe pull out a little insulin.

Others may have a different view about Magellan not being ready yet for an OTJ trial , perhaps if @Wendy&Neko for @Sienne and Gabby (GA) are around today, they can give you their opinion.

Julia Rae likes this.
  13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I have to agree with Christie. The pre-shot numbers are still a bit too high to stop insulin. I think Lydia's suggestion to go to a drop of insulin is a good one. Alternatively, Christie's suggestion to use a higher carb food may also help.

Are you providing Magellan with a snack at around +8 or +9? Sometimes, a snack late in the cycle will stimulate the kitty's pancreas to produce it's own insulin and bring the numbers down. If you have a timed feeder, you wouldn't need to wake up to feed your cat.

14. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I agree with Christie. When cats are ready to go OTJ they are pretty much all green with bg under 100. You want a strong remission. I would feed higher carbs to prevent drops under 50. I would try the drop dose as Christie suggested and feed 10-12% carbs until you see the green ss. You are so close.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Dyana and Christie & Maverick like this.
  15. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

I like Sienne's suggestion about trying to feed a little snack at +8 or +9, I had forgotten about that.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  16. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’m going to also agree that Magellan does not look OTJ ready. A drop of insulin and higher low carb food might help, as has been suggested,

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  17. Julia Rae

That is what I have been doing, yes the higher mid day numbers worry me as well. So I am not quite sure what to do? As for feed what I have been giving him is a mixture of Low to very low carb. fancy feast, friskies and freeze dried meat.

18. Julia Rae

I do not have a feeder, but what we do Is leave the food out and 2 hrs before test take it away. That way he has food available all the time. and what do I do about insulin this am?

19. tiffmaxee

I would give a drop dose. I would try feeding 10-12% from the start, especially when he starts under 70. You want to try to get him to surf between 50-90 by feeding him tge carb amount that makes that possible.

20. Julia Rae

I am not how much lower I can to??? as he is on .10 of insulin

21. tiffmaxee

It’s going to be trial and error to figure what to feed to achieve this. You are so close. Just be patient. We want a strong remission.

Julia Rae likes this.
  22. Julia Rae

I want that as well, currently looking up foods that are between 10 and 12 carbs.

23. tiffmaxee

He may also benefit from a drop dose, which is basically hold the plunger and insert the syringe when it is at zero, release the plunger, and let the syringe pull out a little insulin.

Also, can you count the number of drops in your .10? Everyone’s is a little different. You would then give 1/2 of that or a drop, whichever is more.

24. tiffmaxee