? 04/06 - Does Freya’s insulin need adjusting?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SwedishLiz, Jun 3, 2023.

1. SwedishLiz

SwedishLiz Member

After months of struggling to get Freya’s BG anywhere near ‘normal’, we’re finally getting more & more yellows, blues & greens in her spreadsheet - woo hoo! She’s still on a high dose of insulin though, so the fact that (as per the TR guidance) we’re mot yet justified in reducing the dose, I’ll admit that I’m concerned.
    Am I just forcing Freya into dramatic lows so she continues to bounce? Is there any ‘wiggle-room’ allowed in the TR guidance & if so, how much (bearing in mind that each cat is individual so may react differently)? Should I continue to hold Freya’s current dose or can I reduce it & if so, by how much?
    Please bear in mind that whatever dose you suggest I maintain for Freya, I won’t be able to adjust it until Wednesday PM shot as the husband won’t be here…
    As ever, a heartfelt thank you to all who reply!

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Cats bounce until their bodies adjust to more normal bg. I would hold the dose unless the bg drops under 50.

SwedishLiz likes this.
  3. SwedishLiz

SwedishLiz Member

Thank yoi! Good to know that ‘holding the dose for too long’ is malleable!

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I would not decrease is what I meant. With the green streak today I’d want to hold another day or two. You will be holding it longer though. Let’s get a few more opinions. You dun5 want to hold too long though. @Wendy&Neko @Bron and Sheba (GA)

SwedishLiz likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Here is the link to your previous post here, which we like to include for connectivity and to see what was discussed before: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/freya-tr-regime-different-am-pm-doses-ok.278059/

As Elise said, you want her to see those normal green numbers, so her body gets used to it, instead of thinking of over 300 as normal. Only then will she stop bouncing as much.

Since she did see a really low number on 7.5 units, you could see what happens if you increase to 7.25 units next.

SwedishLiz likes this.