? 04/11/2022 Update on Princess - UTI confirmed -Dosing help

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Raven786, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Raven786

Raven786 Member

Vet confirmed UTI. I was told by an Admin on another thread to increase dose to 1.50 units and to reduce if UTI was confirmed. From March 27-April 3, Princess was doing so well on 1.0 unit, with all the blues and greens. What should I reduce the dose to?

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

3. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I think you are referring to me? I said that if you are that worried about the antibiotics dropping BG too much as the UTI resolves you could consider reducing the dose - BUT that our advice would still be to keep shooting full dose until she earns reductions by dropping under 50.

4. Raven786

Raven786 Member

I was told I could think about proactively about reducing the dose before starting the antibiotic. @FrostD
    I misunderstood. Next time I will just go with the advice and leave it at that. Thank you.

FrostD likes this.
  5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

No worries! I shouldn't have unnecessarily complicated it for you yesterday; I try to balance the formal guidelines vs caregiver comfort level while advising on pros/cons/risks of various decisions.

I know you're sort of just getting your footing and it can be scary at first. As long as you're monitoring as we suggest, you should be able to catch any potential issues. If you start to see big movement in her BG let us know and we'll take a look.

The reason we say hold the dose is because you don't know how long the antibiotics will take to work - and sometimes they don't work. We've had cats go a month+ with UTIs because wrong antibiotics, antibiotic resistant, etc. And like we mentioned yesterday, you want to keep numbers as low as you can especially when they have infections due to DKA risk.

Also, quick note - there are only a small handful of Moderators ("admin") here, you will see the word Moderator under their username. Anyone can give advice here as it's an open forum, so we say take that into consideration. Look at a person's post history, their spreadsheets, etc. For the most part people here are very good about saying "hey I don't give dose advice" or "I'm not comfortable advising in this situation" and will tag other more experienced members for you.