? 04/20 Henry, PMPS 115, +2 95, dose increase?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Angelaf44, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Angelaf44

Angelaf44 Member

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice regarding dosing. My goal was always to get Henry into a strong remission and being preoccupied with his other issues, I haven't been as stringent with the diabetes.

Henry has nice green cycles on 1U but always creeps up to blue around the +10 mark. AMPS is stubbornly always blue. PMPS almost always blue as well. How can I get this guy in flat greens? He's been on 1U about a month now.

Was thinking of going up to 1.25u, what do you all think?

I feel a bit overwhelmed/confused as my Vet doesn't think his numbers warrant insulin at all and she is against me shooting anything.

Thank you!

2. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

I can't advise on the dose but be careful if you increase. Make sure you are able to monitor him and test. You did get some numbers in the 70s with the 1 unit. I have the same question. Why are AMPS and PMPS always higher? I guess insulin is wearing off but isn't there a depot? I have much to learn. Good luck with your boy, Angela.

Angelaf44 likes this.
  3. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Angela, My vet would have taken Ruby off insulin when she was hovering in the low 200s, but the vet's goal is to keep the cat below renal threshold and not get it in the range of a normal cat's numbers because the risk of hypoglycemia is too high. I say keep doing what you're doing. :)

Looks like Henry does need an increase to maybe give him a nudge. Tagging @tiffmaxee for confirmation.

I see you're also still feeding him at 3 PM which you probably started when he was on a drop dose, but perhaps you should shift his meals to happen before +6 to as to not work against the insulin since Henry is on a higher dose now? Late cycle snacks aren't recommended except on very low doses, like .1 or a drop. This might help his preshot numbers.

4. Angelaf44

Angelaf44 Member

Thank you @PerfumedCatMom

I was actually thinking about eliminating the +8 meal entirely and just feeding at +6 during the day. I think my initial reasoning behind the +4 and +8 meals was me being at work all day and being worried about a hypo.

If I start him on a higher dose I'd be more comfortable doing it on Friday @PMPS because I'm off for the weekend and can monitor. I can also play around with his snack times to figure out what works.

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  5. Angelaf44

Angelaf44 Member

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

7. Angelaf44

Angelaf44 Member

Hi @Wendy&Neko okay will do! Do you recommend feeding midway through the cycle? Like would +6 be best?

Thanks!

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Try not to feed after nadir. The insulin effect is waning then, so any carbs would slow it down more.