? 04/21 Puddin AMPS 289

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bella & Puddin, Apr 21, 2024.

1. Bella & Puddin

Bella & Puddin Member

Good day, everyone!

My vet mentioned that Puddin's best dose would be one that keeps him between 200-300; what is the reasoning for this? He also wouldn't suggest going past 4u on Lantus; again, what's the reasoning for this? I'm assuming this is what they teach vets, correct?

I would also guess that remission isn't possible if a cat stays within 200-300; is this correct thinking?

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/04-20-puddin-amps-285-2-464-9-5-451-pmps-39

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  2. Vasalisa

Vasalisa Member

I wish I knew the reasoning behind this too, like you said, seems it is what general vets are taught. I can't find any good reason to do this other than avoiding hypo and there are much healthier ways to avoid that.

I have absolutely read multiple times that keeping them between 200-300 makes remission impossible, so your thinking seems in line with the experts there as far as I know!

Bella & Puddin likes this.
  3. Bella & Puddin

Bella & Puddin Member

Yes, the avoidance of a hypo situation makes sense! That is actually something I've heard my vet mention.

Vasalisa likes this.
  4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree with your vet. You want the bg similar to a cat that’s not diabetic which is 50-100. It’s good you increased this morning. You just have not hit the breakthrough dose yet. The best chance to hit remission is within the first year of diagnosis and TR has the best track record to get you there.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Let me guess, a vet of "a certain age"? Back in the day, people didn't home test BG's, and it would have been dangerous to keep a cat in lower numbers without testing. So that's what they would have been taught. The "not past 4 units" is also garbage. I can show you a spreadsheet of a cat that was nicely regulated on 80 units. Correct, that is not an extra zero. A cat needs however much insulin they need. Neko's breakthrough was 8.75 units. If a cat goes gets up to six units, we do suggest testing for secondary endocrine conditions that can cause a cat to need a higher dose of insulin. Though I've also seen cats in the 3-4 unit range with acromegaly, IAA, and Cushings. And Royal Vet College has recorded cats at one unit with at least acromegaly. RVC is the place doing the most research on that condition.
    100% correct, you can't even get a cat regulated and regulation is a precondition to remission, should that be in the cards. Regulation is also a really good goal. The cat is healthier and often blood sugars start to get a lot more predictable. You get more of a life back for you. Plus, renal threshold, above which the kidneys have to work harder, is typically in the high blues to low/mid yellows. Older cats often get kidney disease, so you want to help the kidneys as much as you can. One more - I have seen very few cats that hang out just in the 200-300 range. 200's as nadirs typically means lots of over 300 numbers.

Random suggestion - check the date that you switched to TR in your signature - especially the year. ;)

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Bella & Puddin likes this.
  7. Bella & Puddin

Bella & Puddin Member