? 05/03 Benny AMPS 499...+10 80 PMPS 209 dose question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ben&Squirrel, May 3, 2022.

1. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-2-benny-amps-454-pmps-498.262779/#post-2945186

Yet another dose question. Ben had a dose increase this morning to 1.0u. He went from 499 to 80 to 209 in one day. He ate a little in the afternoon, so unfortunately I can't say whether the nadir would have gone any lower.

His nadir was 80. Does this mean he should get a reduction...back to where he was yesterday?

I'm thinking about this part of the SLGS instructions: "A4.4. There's no hard and fast rule, but if you don't have data on how your cat responds to insulin, here are some general guidelines.
    • Below 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), don't give insulin."
    I am not sure how he will respond to the insulin, given how his nadir is not consistent in range or time. He responded so strongly to the increase that I fear what he would do when I am asleep.

However, just not giving insulin after a single dose increase seems like a recipe for a bounce?

Ideas, @tiffmaxee @Bandit's Mom ?

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Yes, he’s earned a reduction by falling under 90. He is bouncing from the 80 bg.

3. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

So, down to .75 tonight, or lower?

4. tiffmaxee

Reductions are always .25. Back to .75.

5. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

Done. The 1u was fun while it lasted. :facepalm: Go back to it again in the morning, or stay at .75 for 7 days? Thank you once again!

6. tiffmaxee

Stay at .75 for 7 days.

7. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Just for future reference, bounce breaking cycles have greater donward momentum and later nadirs. You want to slow him down by feeding a little food. Not sure if you fed him, but a little food at +7 and +8 and even +9 would have been good. The idea is to keep them at a good dose as long as you can by intervening with food.

8. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

I did feed him a little at +7 but wasn't sure I should have. He was hungry! So if I can keep him above the danger zone with food, it can keep him on the full dose of insulin? This makes total sense now; I wasn't sure it was okay to feed him with the snacks he has been getting. Will try to manage him more with food when he is dropping!

Bandit's Mom likes this.