? 05/03 Kitty PMPS 118 +1 112 +2 88 +3 82 +4 78 +10.25 84

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Corey & Kitty, May 3, 2022.

1. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

2. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

Wondering if anyone is around to advise whether I should shoot the full dose. PMPS is 118. It was 117 one hour and 45 minutes ago. I'm around to monitor but I do work in the morning. @tiffmaxee @Wendy&Neko @FrostD

3. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

Couldn't stall any longer or risked not having time in the morning. Gave the full dose. Hopefully that was the right thing to do.

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

You did the right thing. Get a +1 and +2.

Corey & Kitty likes this.
  5. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

What would you suggest I do if it were morning and I were leaving for work? Would I still give the full dose?

6. tiffmaxee

I would stall without food and retest in 20 minutes to see if going up. If close to 150 I would shoot. If going down I would shoot a token dose of 25%. How much time do you have before you leave? Do you leave food out or use a feeder?

7. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Just a retest to make sure she's flat or going up. She's a pretty flat cat when she starts low, so if it were me yes in that case I'd give full dose. If you're a little worried to do that, you can always mix a smidge of MC into that first feeding at +1.5, and +3.5 possibly until you're a little more comfortable.

If she's dropping or lower than you've shot before, kind of depends on how much. I prefer to give at least some insulin, maybe 10-50% normal dose. Half dose doesn't always do much when you also have the depot to contend with.

8. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

What should I consider close to 150? What if it's staying flat like tonight?
    Depends on the day, but say it were tomorrow morning, I would have 50 minutes between when I give the shot and when I have to leave, but some days I have to shoot and run out the door. I use a feeder that feeds at +1.5 and +3.5.
    The problem I've been having lately is that she doesn't go right for the feeder anymore once it opens. Like today, I watched the playback on the camera, she waited almost 2 hours to eat the +1.5 meal, it was almost time for the +3.5 meal to switch over.
    Can you elaborate on this please? Are you saying that I would see the same results with a half dose as I would with a full dose (at least until the depot drains) or that a half dose would have no effects on her BG?

9. tiffmaxee

A half dose might still give an active first half of the cycle due to the depot so I would feed mc and put mc in the feeder. If you don’t have time to test again I would not shoot a full dose until you have data when you are home to see. What happens. As they get regulated they aren’t as hungry. Often if the bg drops low they get very hungry.
    It’s good you shot tonight as you can get valuable data.

10. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

She might be feeding her own curve so to speak, eating when she feels the need. It's not necessarily a bad thing, in fact if she does that on her own it makes your life a little easier. It's possible that's when she started to feel the drop and then went for food.

My cat was free fed, and fed his own curve. He'd have a small snack at shot time, then a bigger snack at onset or big drops. Almost nothing after nadir.

The first part of the cycle after a half dose - abd even sometimes a skip if the cat is really hanging in low numbers/aiming for a reduction - can look just like you gave a normal shot because there is still insulin in the depot being used.

11. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

+1.5 meal just opened up and she went right for it.
    So, do you think when I am around I should not encourage her to eat when the feeder opens? My last two days off when I saw that she wasn't going for the food when it opened I was picking her up and bringing her to the food and then she would eat, I just figured she was being lazy and didn't want to get off the couch where she was comfortably napping. Maybe I shouldn't do that, and just let her eat the meal when/if she wants to?

12. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Probably a good little experiment to see what she does and when/if it can be correlated to numbers.

13. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

+2 is 88. Looks like a reduction tomorrow, am I right? Do I need to do anything right now as far as feeding higher carbs? She just ate LC, 40 minutes ago. She isn't due for another LC meal for another hour and 15ish minutes.

14. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Yes, that is another reduction. Stay with LC for now. Let's see the +3.
    In active cycles you want to feed a spoon of food after every test to flatten the curve.

15. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

Okay, flattening out now it seems.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  16. Bandit's Mom

Nice surf! :D

17. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

Should I keep testing, maybe +4? I have to get some sleep but I can stay up another hour.

18. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

+4 is 78. Flat enough to go to bed?

19. Bandit's Mom

Yes, feed some LC and call it a night.

20. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

Only 1.5 hours until AMPS and she is still in the green. I don't see her rising much in 1.5 hours. If she is still this low in 1.5 hours then I skip the dose, correct? I don't think I'm not even comfortable giving a token dose at this point, or should I?

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  21. Bandit's Mom

With SLGS you do not shoot below 90. If she is below 90 at AMPS, you stall without food for 20 mins and see if it rises above 90.
    Are you at home and can you monitor if you shoot? She is making great progress and yo u do not want to skip if she is over 90 and you can get a couple of tests in the cycle.

22. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

I will not be at home, I have to leave 50 minutes after shot time, and that's if I don't stall, if I stall then I have to leave even quicker. I will be back home briefly on my lunch break which is around +5.5. I'm in a predicament.

23. Bandit's Mom

If she is above 90, you can shoot without stalling and feed some MC with the shot. Test before you leave and if needed, feed some MC/HC before you leave. Does she eat from an autofeeder when you are not at home?

She is seeing pretty flat cycles when she starts lower and the higher carbs will also help.

24. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

Okay, today I can only stall a max of about 35 minutes before I have to decided if I give a shot or not. So, if she is under 90 by the time it hits 35 minutes past shot time, then I skip the dose? If its 90 or above, even if its exactly 90, then I give the full 2 units? By feeding "some" MC with the shot, that's a teaspoon sized amount, mixed in with the LC? Or do I give more than a teaspoon? Maybe a tablespoon? Do I give mostly gravy, or the chunks too? You said MC/HC, so either one, both? How do I decide?

If you look at post #8 on this thread there are some details about her auto feeder. It feeds her at +1.5 and +3.5, but she doesn't always go right for it when she is napping, sometimes she waits a couple hours before even touching it, but it seems that she may be feeding her own curve. Should I add any MC in with those meals?

25. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

Also, there is technically one other option, but I've never tried it because it's going to be difficult to execute but I can try it today. At work, I take a 15 minute break in the morning which today will be around +3. It's a 5 minute drive home, and a 5 minute drive back to work, so that would leave me with exactly 5 minutes in the house. That's enough time for me to get a BG reading, but there wont be any time to post on here, so I would need some guidelines ahead of time as to what to do with certain ranges of BG, like if she falls to certain numbers when should I give her more MC or HC or stay with LC and how much?