05/06 Eddie: AMPS 209 PMPS 173 + 4 322 +319 still in emergency clinic

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jodey&Eddie&Blue, May 6, 2024.

1. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Jodey&Eddie&Blue Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

I just spoke to the vet nurse who told me that although Eddie is getting fluids and electrolytes he is still not eating. They gave him 11u last night, however. They've take his BG a few times and I didn't have a pen when I was talking to them on the phone but I'll post here after next time talking to them

Eddie is not eating. I am terrified.

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Did they give ondansetron? Do they have a plan to figure out why he's not eating? That's a big deal - hope they figure it out soon.

Did you get any sleep? :bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Some sleep. They said Buprenorphrine. i said don't because that's one of the sedatives that is bad for him. I was just there and I got him to eat two Churu lickables. The vet tech got him to eat one. The vet said the pancreatic test came back "normal" but says that doesn't mean he doesn't have pancreatitis. She's really new so I don't have any experience with her. She was suggesting I take him home and I said no because I did not want to encourage a bad cycle like the one we just went through. So, they will try to get him to eat and if he doesn't by 4:00 pm, we'll go to a nasogastric tube. Eddie was in pretty good spirits when he saw me and was rubbing his face on me and putting his paw on my face. I'm not giving up.

They gave me a rough idea of BG tests, which I've filled in the spreadsheet.
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...ps-461-2-385-4-365-6-374-8-304-10-275.289664/

7. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Putting updated spread sheet so would you pls add :https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...ps-461-2-385-4-365-6-374-8-304-10-275.289664/

8. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

9. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Just talked to clinic (not vet but relayed message). He is still not eating for them. We may have to go with the nasogastric tube to feed because the options are not viable.

@Wendy&Neko

10. Wendy&Neko

11. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Not really. Eddie did have one once years ago when he came back from WSU. In any case, I've called and actually spoke to the vet and said that since he is still not eating that they should go ahead with naso-gastric tube because it doesn't really require general anesthesia. I want him to get some nutrition and calories and so avoid DKA. She said she did another SNAP pancreatic test and it says "abnormal". They will now do the naso-gastric tube and call me back.

12. Wendy&Neko

Has Eddie ever tested positive for ketones?

I hate pancreatitis. :mad:

13. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Never positive for ketones, which is one small blessing.

I hate pancreatitis too. :mad::arghh:

14. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder if Eddie has had a simmering case of pancreatitis for awhile now. When they have acro, it’s easy to default to that being the cause of all problems and higher BG but sometimes there are sneaky co-issues. My Charlie had really bad case of chronic pancreatitis so I feel for you. I had to keep him on meds and fluids constantly just to keep it at a dull roar, but even getting to that point was he$@. Hopefully Eddie is more straightforward and the vet will prescribe enough meds to get him well over the hump.

Speaking of concurrent issues, any chance he’s backed up again stool or urine wise? Thought maybe they ran an X-ray to rule out anything obvious.

Hang in there…

Jodey&Eddie&Blue likes this.
  15. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Hi JL, that's very interesting! I was thinking something along the same lines going back to a bout of similar symptoms he had at the end of July which resulted in the same kind of hospitalization that is happening now. When the vet just called me, I mentioned that.
    I just spoke with the vet and she tells me they have done another blood panel on Eddie and all else is in normal range, including kidney, etc. This is good news. Equally good news: I had brought a little carton of some really good food that Eddie was happily eating about 6 weeks ago. It's Open Farm brand and that was Eddie's primary diet. The vet told me, he has now eaten from it in addition to his naso-gastric tube feeding. I also told her that even if he seems fully recovered by the morning I might like to have him remain one more night to ensure that he gets enough of what he need to get him, as you say, well over the hump. The other thing is that while they gave him 11u last night, this morning they gave him 12u. I'll put that in the spreadsheet. His last BG
    I was really feeling quite despairing this morning. But I had a moment and I thought WAIT a minute, Jodey, this is not over and you have to keep that in the forefront of you mind. It was really to good to hear the vet say he is doing well and getting nutrition, hydration and medication; he's tolerating the tube well enough to eat as well from a plate.
    I'm hoping to have a visit with him in the next little while and bring him one of those Churu lickables. Keep that good energy coming, please.

16. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Well, I just came from the clinic and Eddie looks 100% better. I gave him a Churu lickable, which he happily consumed and the vet came in with a plate of food, which he also happily ate. He has a tiny tube in his nose and she put some local anesthetic on his nostril and he was just fine. The tube will be kept in place until tomorrow afternoon and he will be reassessed. I am really thinking to keep him in clinic tonight and tomorrow night so as not to jump the gun. I will need to be ever more mindful of his eating and keeping an eye on him for discomfort.

I'll get the rest of the numbers for the spreadsheet to fill in.

I am so relieved. I really appreciate all you kind and supportive words. Thank you.

17. Wendy&Neko

Yeah for eating!! Churu does it again.:)

Nice PMPS. Whatever they are doing there, it seems to be making his numbers better too.

18. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Those little Churu wands are magic!
    I’ll be calling them later re: BG as they are going to test every 4 hours.
    Now I can actually sleep tonight. :cat::)

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  19. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

((((Jodey)))) sending you and ((((Eddie)))) many many hugs filled with prayers and positive energy. We are all praying for both of you :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Jodey&Eddie&Blue likes this.