05/12 Bubba AMPS 160; +5 65; +8 74; PMPS +110; +3 95; +6.5 43; +7.25 43; +8.25 77

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by bubbasmom (GA), May 12, 2023.

1. bubbasmom (GA)

bubbasmom (GA) Member

Yesterday

Finalllyyyyyy my precious Bubsies is eating!!! He ate some raw beef + canned tuna. Since I re started the bupe Weds evening he’s also been feeling much better and alert - really noticed that last night and this morning he was purring again! When we put his food down he actually eats!

he is 8.9 / 160 this morning so I’m going to give him the full dose of 6.5U. I hope that’s ok. He’s eating now so I’m ok with administering his full shot.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Glad to hear Bubba likes food again. :)

Here is the owners brief on Mirataz. On the third page, in the tiny print :rolleyes: under Dosage and Administration, is the following:
    emphasis mine.

And I stand corrected on how long mirtazapine lasts, it's 11 hours. Technical bulletin here. The actual published paper describing the action in the bulletin is I think one of the Quimby ones listed in the Reference. Couldn't find it in a quick search.

Mirtazapine is sometimes not so affectionately called meowzapine for it's side effects, which can include vocalization and hyperactivity. Mirataz is absorbed more slowly than the pills, so less likely to have those side effects.

bubbasmom (GA) likes this.
  3. bubbasmom (GA)

bubbasmom (GA) Member

Bubba-doo relaxed on the patio for a bit this morning. Meowed at mom when she came down the stairs LOL. Ate a snack too. Still not huge portions but at least he’s eating on his own!

Nice green today too at +5

4. bubbasmom (GA)

bubbasmom (GA) Member

Bubbas been relaxing today. Eating on his own, but small portions. He didn’t ask for food at dinner, but I put some canned tuna on his raw + First Mate MC and he ate some!
    Overall still not “asking” for food but at least he eats.

Our weather is supposed to be unseasonably HOT and disgusting this weekend so I will do my best to keep Bubba cool. We will be setting up the AC too.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Any response from the vet yet to your email? Mine used to always respond later in the evening, so no surprise if none yet.

Our good/news bad news from this spring. Bad news, our furnace died in March - so we had no heat for a week. Good news - we replaced it with a heat pump so now no heat! I was "in town" this afternoon, it was 28.5C - yuck! Thankfully cats don't seem to mind the heat much. That long fur is also somewhat insulating against the heat. Though I do notice kitties tend to eat less when hot. And sometimes drink more.

6. bubbasmom (GA)

bubbasmom (GA) Member

Oh man heat pumps are such a wise investment!! We had one at our previous place … with forced air heating/cooling… it was great; nice and cool in the summer. Bubba would sit on a register when we had the heat on!! Haha!
    No reply yet. She usually replies between patients during the day too. I will call tmrw. Not sure if she’s working but I hope someone could help me out. I still want Bubbas appetite to increase a bit more. I’m glad with his progress thus far but want him to come to us to eat. I know he can do it!

7. bubbasmom (GA)

bubbasmom (GA) Member

Bubba is a bit off his food this evening. He nibbled some dinner and isn't interested in his yummy steamed fish. I suppose the mirtazapine is wearing off. I'm going to call the vet's office tomorrow morning asap to request more mirtazapine and ondansetron; especially since it's the weekend and they're closed on Sunday. I can't wait till Monday.

Bubsies has been relaxing this evening

8. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Also ask about fluids - even if it's a one-off or for a short while.

https://felinecrf.org/subcutaneous_fluids.htm
    "Also, any time more water is going out than is coming in, sub-Qs may be needed short-term. Thus, a CKD cat who is a bit below par because of vomiting or diarrhoea causing dehydration, or who stops eating or drinking, may benefit from sub-Qs as a one-off — my vet gave sub-Qs to my non-CKD cat when she had severe vomiting and diarrhoea for this reason."

9. bubbasmom (GA)

bubbasmom (GA) Member

Of course Bubba is back on his "I don't want to eat and you can't make me BS" when he dips to 2.4 / 43 :arghh::arghh::arghh:

I syringe fed him some First Mate MC food approx 15 min before I checked his sugars. I will feed him some more MC with honey at the next meal in approx 15 min.

While Bubba has tartar buildup on his teeth, his vet said it isn't "that bad"... but I'm wondering that even if his teeth don't look "that bad" that they are still bothering him, hence lack of appetite due to dental issues. He was grinding when chewing back in Feb, March. I don't know if he is stable enough to go under anesthesia

We just can't catch a bloody break.. spent the evening in the ER for a family member and now this. When will this nonstop crap end? I am so tired of it. It's 0100 and I'm beyond exhausted rn

10. bubbasmom (GA)

bubbasmom (GA) Member

Even approx 40min after the syringe fed MC, Bubba's numbers remained the same. I fed Bubba more First Mate MC + honey just now.

Just after I fed him, he peed all over the floor - squatted down on a pp pad in front of his box and let 'er flow :banghead::blackeye::(
    He did have suspected bacteria in his urine from his vet appt on Thursday, of which he was given an IM antibiotic - but I have no idea if him just lying down to pee is because of that, or because of his diabetic neuropathy / OA. His litter box is low on the sides so it's easier for him to get in/out.

Last edited: May 13, 2023
  11. bubbasmom (GA)

bubbasmom (GA) Member

Bubba went up from 2.4 to 4.3 in approx 1 hr. He just nibbled a tsp or so of First Mate MC.

I've been awake for nearly 24hrs so I'm going to bed; I can't possibly stay up any longer. Bubba is alert, bathing and relaxing. Asymptomatic for any hypo

12. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

You can just apply honey on his lips to give his numbers a boost if HC/MC is not working.