06/02 JELLY BELLY +11 180 PMPS 180 PLEASE advise +2 61.5 HELP

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by RochellenJelly, Jun 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

The sugars are only 8.9 this am and AMP due 7 am (30 mins) please advice

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hi Rochelle,
    This is a 160 and is high enough for you to give 0.75 u again. It's pretty much a repeat of yesterday. I know you had a hard time taking it all in, getting the testing done, etc. yesterday. Would this work for you?
    1. feed JB his breakfast
    2. give 0.75 u
    3. give a small LC snack at +1
    4. test again at +2 then give a small snack - post your test result here and on your SS
    5. give a small snack at +3
    6. test again at +5 and post the result here and on your SS
    I know this is more testing than JB might want but it's a case of trying to figure him out better before you have to go to school on Monday.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Gill & George and RochellenJelly like this.
  3. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

Yes we can do this so I should feed now and shot because it's 7 am :)

4. Kris & Teasel

Yes. Do that. I hope it's a calmer day today for you.

RochellenJelly likes this.
  5. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

I am home all day and we got sleep last night I am able and functioning today.... yesterday I was just bleh now it's ok and Jellys ears look great from the polysporin

Gill & George likes this.
  6. Kris & Teasel

Good news! This thing can take a lot out of you, especially at the start, and you're also busy with your family and school coming up. I'm glad the Polysporin is helping his ears.

I read yesterday that you got him an autofeeder. Great idea! The goal for you on school days is to test/feed/shoot in the AM, maybe one more test as you get ready to leave, filled autofeeder for him to snack while you're out and then come home to a happy kitty. Rinse and repeat. :);)

Glennie and RochellenJelly like this.
  7. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

1. feed JB his breakfast DONE
    2. give 0.75 u DONE
    3. give a small LC snack at +1
    4. test again at +2 then give a small snack - post your test result here and on your SS
    5. give a small snack at +3
    6. test again at +5 and post the result here and on your SS

8. Kris & Teasel

:D!!

9. Kris & Teasel

Please put this AMPS and dose on your SS ASAP. We'll keep nagging you about this because we need to see what's happening any time you have a new question. :)

10. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

I didn't do a AmPs it was only the +12 @6 am should I do one now ? He ate tho and insulin

11. Kris & Teasel

Not to worry - same thing as yesterday. Leave the 160 where it is as AMPS. Put a note in the right hand section of your SS saying that it was taken 1 hour before the insulin shot.

12. Kris & Teasel

Right now you need dosing guidance before you give a shot so that can affect the timing of things. If your shot time is 7 AM aim to test BG no earlier than a half hour before the shot time. Would that work for you? If it strays toward an hour because you're waiting for someone to respond, so be it. Eventually you'll be confident enough to know what dose to give and the whole process will be faster. :)

13. Kris & Teasel

Another comment: that 160 after a no shot last night is a great number. It looks like JB might need a reduced dose soon and that's good news. Let's see what he does today with the 0.75 u. :)

14. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

the test at 6am/ (one hour before amps) would go in the +11 column like you have it, but I would delete it from the amps box

Sorry to be pedantic, but for the sake of clarity, I'd probably leave the amps box blank for this morning, or write tested @+11 (though actually it's more like +23, since it's 23 hrs since last insulin shot, but lets not worry about that:)) at the moment it looks like a test was taken at amps, why does that matter, well it's about looking at overall changes in BG, going up 100 pts in 2hours is not the same as going up 100pts in 3. Also when we look at that +2 we are going to get this morning, we really want to compare it to the result at amps, I know from my own experience that there can be a big difference in the +11 and PS tests, it's only an hour, but ...
    Check out Georges ss look at the
    2/4/2016 +11 145
    2/5/2016 amps 104 / +1.5 82

So if on the morning of 2/5 I hadn't got an amps and recorded the 145 in the amps box, it would look like he dropped 63pts in those first 1 1/2hrs, when in fact he only dropped 22pts, that's a big difference and its important because it tells us how fast he's dropping which in turn, (and with time and experience) will govern our food choices for kitty. Using George and that specific day as an example, a 63pt drop for George into a lowish green at +1.5 would have seen me reach for some higher carb food, big guns (28% carb if I was having to leave him during the first half of the cycle/ or something in the 15% range if I was there to monitor)
    However a 20pt drop, though this signaled an active cycle for him, it wasn't excessive and so I reached for his regular LC snack. Perhaps
    it's the Scientist in me, but it is very important that we record the data accurately, this can allow you to look back through the data, see patterns of BG and use what you learn to better/more easily manage your kitty's BG's. If you look back at data that hasn't been recorded accurately, you can see, like in the example above, you might draw a different conclusion as to what an outcome might be when you face that situation again, that's to say what you 'learn' when you, or someone else, looks back at the data might be erroneous.

This brings me to another point:
    Food for thought Rochelle,
    I know poor JB's ears have been sore and you both had a rough day yesterday, glad you are both rested and feeling better, it's amazing what a little sleep and a pokey break can do for CG and Kitty:):cat:

Looking forward to when you start school. If you do get a +11(6am), getting a +12/pmps(7pm) can be a very useful. The number you get at PS is important, but what is more interesting is where that number is heading. I liked getting a +11, especially if I was having to head out, and then get a amps, if the number was about the same, ie he was flat at the end of the cycle, then I would often expect an active cycle. If he was on the rise, then I knew that by the time the shot onset his numbers would be significantly higher and I would probably expect a +2 that was higher than PS. That generally meant a quieter day on the BG front.
    With a PS that was lower than a +11, I would be more watchful, when shooting a falling PS I'd make sure I got early tests in, and I would be a little more aggressive with my food choices, especially if I was having to pop out. Because things often got exciting when we shot a falling PS, but knowing it was falling, gave me the ability to stay ahead of the insulin by using food to steer and keep him safe. When you start school, getting both a +11 and an amps (if you are able to) may well prove a useful tool.
    Also by getting a +11 and posting it gave me a chance to seek advice and still stay on schedule. But if you feel that you are unable to get both, then getting the amps (ie at 7am) is the important one.

Some further reading that might help.
    In this thread Libby talks about shooting a falling number and discusses shooting a dropping number, post #6, but the whole thread is very interesting and informative.
    I would also encourage you to read this sticky on doing TR on a fulltime job, you'll find some of the tips, concepts in this post very helpful when you go to school regardless of which dosing method you decide to follow.

Here's an example of an active lantus cycle taken from the New to the Group Sticky
    Example of an ACTIVE, but NOT necessarily typical Lantus cycle:
    NOTE: Until kitty is pretty well regulated, the description below is NOT not what you'd consider a "typical" Lantus cycle. It takes time and patience for kitty to achieve a "typical" cycle! The example below is what you're working towards (a nice shallow curve). A relatively flat cycle is the ultimate goal.

+0 - PreShot number.
    +1 - Usually higher than PreShot number because of the last shot wearing off. May see a food spike in this number.
    +2 - Often similar to the PreShot number. Onset begins around +2 for most cats. You'll probably see an active cycle if the +2 is thesame/similar OR lower than the preshot number. Continue testing!
    +3 - Often lower than the PreShot number.
    +4 - Lower.
    +5 - Lower.
    +6 - Nadir/Peak (the lowest number of cycle. NOTE: ECID. Not every cat has a mid-cycle nadir. Adjust the hours on this example to fit your cat.)
    +7 - Surf (hang around the nadir number).
    +8 - Slight rise.
    +9 - Slight rise.
    +10 - Rising.
    +11 - Rising (one of the quirks of Lantus/Levemir: some cat's blood glucose numbers dip around +10 or +11... not to be confused with nadir).
    +12 - PreShot number.

15. Kris & Teasel

Thanks, Gill. I understand what you're getting at. I have a strong sense that Rochelle can get overwhelmed if we throw a lot of detail at her at once. Apologies, Rochelle - I hope I'm not offending you. I'm trying to guide her through the basics from the point she's at now in her FD knowledge and ability to cope. :)

16. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

done +1 +2 and hes eating a snack now ... i am still lost on the spreed sheet i thought i did it right maybe Marje will help when she checks in.

what else now and Gill& George I am reading through information i have a very hard time learning and that was a lot all at once ill have to re read it a few times to make sense of it please be patient with me

17. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

nope i was just writing it was alot and i am trying to break it down and i am struggling (learning disability) but very clear detailed schedules like you have done and point specific readings i can do but yes its difficult and that post lost me a bit im trying

Supurrkitten likes this.
  18. Kris & Teasel

Take your time, Rochelle. Ask for a list any time you think it might help. :smuggrin:

19. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

i am just starting to understand the cycle and havent even figured out all the different carb amounts and have been trying to collect accurate BG and have a good picture for people to help me and when in trouble post and have been getting instruction and been ok. I dont think i can say i fully understand the cycle and the dropping in points so much yet at all because i dont i get scared of 5.3 and stuff so i am not nearly educated enough to decide on carb amounts and what to give him i am better following instructions for that stuff right now

20. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

Whats the rest of today look like? I believe i updated spreed sheet right and I have done +2 and light snack

1. test again at +2 then give a small snack - post your test result here and on your SS
    2. give a small snack at +3
    3. test again at +5 and post the result here and on your SS
    anymore after this or are you wanting to see at +5 what hes doing and if we need to intervene with high carb devil snacks lol

21. Kris & Teasel

Here's some spreadsheet help:
    • delete those two BGs from the "US" version of the SS where they show up as lime green right now - click on the boxes until they get a blue outline around them and hit "delete" on your keyboard
    • enter those two BGs on the "world" version of the SS - the one where the dose columns are turquoise coloured
    • if you go look at the US SS again you'll see that the BGs were automatically converted to US units (the ones in the hundreds) and will be properly colour-coded.

22. Kris & Teasel

That +5 would be good info. Save the "devil snacks" :D for dropping numbers if they happen.

23. Kris & Teasel

You'll relax more over time as your experience level grows. This is a big thing to learn for everyone!

24. Gill & George

It's there for you to take in at your own speed.:bighug::bighug::bighug: Please ask if there's anything you don't understand.

The SS looks fine, its only the 160 that you put in the amps box that needs to be deleted, you just need to click on the box and delete the number.:) (I'm sure Marje will help you with that if it's a problem for you to do)

ETA ooops just saw those lime greens, not sure what's happening there, if what Kris suggested doesn't work I'm sure Marje will fix it.

It helps to know that having a list will help you. I'll keep that in mind. I found lists very helpful too.

I wouldn't expect you, or anyone, to understand it all at this stage. The above post was more intended for you to read around the subject, when you have time, and are able to, as opposed to trying to absorb it all in the middle of a BG crisis. I found it helpful to do that in uiet periods, because when the BG is dropping and you are testing/posting/feeding like a maniac to keep your kitty safe, let's face it not much goes in:eek:, or at least it didn't for me.

Heck, you've only been doing this for a month, it's a huge learning curve, and you are doing a fab job of testing his BG, and keeping him safe with a little help from your friends.

A shorter version of what I was trying to illustrate in the previous post :
    The point of the SS is to be able to present the data/ BG tests you get to folk helping you. The data needs to be recorded accurately, so that the help/advice you get is right for JB and is going to keep him safe.

RochellenJelly and Kris & Teasel like this.
  25. Gill & George

I think, that because that +2 is probably lower than what his number was at amps (7am), I would test at +4 instead of +5.

The reason for this is that we have seen him prone to fast drops, and it's better to catch them sooner in the cycle rather than later.

LOL I would hold of the devils food for now.

RochellenJelly and Kris & Teasel like this.
  26. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

Ok so it's + 3 do I have to poke him again if I am doing it at +4 ?

27. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

I think I did it ?? Lol

28. Kris & Teasel

No, give his ears a break until +4.

29. Gill & George

No you don't need to poke him now, just give him his snack and check at +4.
    Does that fit in with you?

30. Kris & Teasel

Transfer is perfect! Now, to make sure I understand:
    • is the BG of 8.4 from a test you did 1 hour after his shot?
    • is the BG of 8.2 from the most recent test 2 hours after the shot?

31. Kris & Teasel

Oopsie on the SS! The BGs didn't transfer to the US sheet properly. Here's how to do it by hand:
    • 8.4 will be a 151 on the US SS. Put that in the +1 box (for now) there.
    • Go to the tool bar at the top of the SS and find the little paint can icon just to the right of the middle and click on it
    • choose the blue colour from the "custom" row at the bottom of that menu and click on it.
    • 8.2 will be 148 on the US SS. Put it in the +2 box there.
    • put in the colour code the same way as you did for the 8.9.

32. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Rochelle, I am stopping in to say hi to you as I don't think I have ever visited your condo before. I just want to say that you are doing great and there is a lot to learn and take in at the beginning but, you will catch on and it will start to click. :cat: You have all ready received lots of great information and we will continue to help you along the way.

Keep asking questions as that is how we all learned and in the beginning I had to ask the same question several times until it sunk it. Sometimes, when I would ask it again a different "teacher" explained it differently that made sense to me.

This is a wonderful community of knowledge and support. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Gill & George and RochellenJelly like this.
  33. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

yes

34. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

trying now hold up

35. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

is it done correctly ? i believe marje may have fixed it if it is

36. Kris & Teasel

Yes, it's fine now.

37. Gill & George

Our resident SS Pixie.

38. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Rochelle:

There are a couple of basics that may help you find some structure with all of the madness of managing Jelly's FD.

• Always get a test at your AMPS and PMPS time.
      • There may be cycles when you test late in the cycle because numbers have been low, Jelly is giving your a "signal" that something is a bit off, etc., but you really shouldn't skip the pre-shot test.
    • Try to get a feel for what the pattern of Jelly's cycles are. What this means is that you want to know when Lantus onset begins and when the nadir typically falls. This gives you some degree of predictability.
      • That said, nadirs can and do change. Gabby had an early nadir -- except during those cycles when she didn't. You may want to page through her spreadsheet. (Sorry -- I have 6.5yrs of data and I tested a lot.) Looking at other kitty's spreadsheets can also help you get a feel for how Jelly is similar or different than other kitties.
    • Unless numbers are running low, do not feed within 2 hours before shot time. You don't want food to influence your pre-shot number.
    • Don't get fixated on carbs. I fed Gabby the same food (4 - 5% carb) from the time she was diagnosed. She was sensitive to the gluten in high carb food so I used either Karo syrup or honey to bring up her numbers when necessary. I gauged the amount of syrup based on where her numbers were.
      • Learning this isn't automatic. It takes experience. There are any number of factors which influence when and how much HC you give. For example, how fast are numbers dropping, when in the cycle is the drop occurring, how does Jelly respond to carbs (some cats are extremely sensitive and others, not so much)?
    Most importantly, be kind to yourself.There is a HUGE learning curve when it comes to managing your cat's diabetes. I know it seems like there are some of us who know "all" the answers. We don't. We've just walked a good distance in your shoes and we read a lot of spreadsheets. If you're ever not sure what to do, please ask for help. We don't always agree but we will do our best to explain our rationale for the suggestions we're making so you understand the principles and can make the best decision for Jelly.

39. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

updated spreed sheet

40. Kris & Teasel

Thanks, Sienne, this is wonderful! :D

41. Kris & Teasel

Lovely blue surf going on now, Rochelle. Surfing means the BG is staying around the same level over time. When the numbers are blue or dark green, surfing is a great thing.

42. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

Thanks so Much I appreciate the feedback and help so much

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  43. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

So what now Kris ? Schedule me until next shot please

44. Kris & Teasel

It's what we do ... maybe too much occasionally! ;)

45. Kris & Teasel

How about this?
    1. test again at +6 because I see that he was down to a green 77 a few days ago - we want to see if he'll do a drop later
    2. if +6 is another blue similar to these recent tests, you can wait until +9 or +10 (you can choose) to test again
    3. if +9 or +10 is still around the same level of blue as now, leave his ears alone until the preshot test
    4. no food for the two hours before his preshot test
    5. do the preshot test at +12 ( at 7 PM) right before you give him his supper and insulin. Don't test, wait an hour then feed. Test/feed/shoot has to happen in the shortest time you can manage - 20 minutes?
    Let's see what the other advisors think of this plan.

46. Kris & Teasel

I have to go out for a bit, Rochelle. Do you feel things are clear enough for the next hour or so?

47. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

Yes I am great thank you

48. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

he is a 95 currently does this schedule still apply/

49. Bobbie And Bubba

Maybe another test at +7 since that was when he gave you the 77. Good job testing !

50. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

I won't be home now until +9 we are out with my kids enjoying weather he was fine and stable when left will do a +10 and advise then?

51. Bobbie And Bubba

Sounds good! I'm sure he'll be fine as his cycle has been a nice surf.

Kris & Teasel and RochellenJelly like this.
  52. Kris & Teasel

Good plan! His numbers are great today. :D

53. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Hi Rochelle

I’m sorry I haven’t had a chance to check in. I read the condo when I first got up, and yes....I was the SS pixie and fixed it. However, then got a call that my mom has bronchitis so I’ve had to be dealing with that until now.

Lovely cycle stacking up here for Jelly especially after the skip last night.

First....what can you tell me about what you’ve learned about Jelly and how carbs affect his numbers? I think you can look at his SS and know easier than we can because we don’t know what you’ve fed him. It can be very, very helpful to keep track of what you feed him when (you can use the Remarks section on the SS) so the next time he drops, you will know what you did, and how it affected his BG.

You also asked about when to worry about numbers. I’ll try to explain it clearly although it can vary cat to cat and cycle to cycle.

For others reading, this information is for Jelly and Rochelle so if you have specific questions about your kitty, don’t just assume this applies (it might, but it might not) so please ask for guidance about your kitty.

Some guidance I can give you is:
    • If you test and he’s dropping, study his SS to determine what his normal pattern is, when he likes to drop, how fast he drops, etc. before you determine if it’s ok to go out and be out a while or go to bed. However, dropping numbers require attention at some point so I would suggest you not leave a dropping number unattended without some action (e.g. either planning to test again in an hour or two or leaving him LC food and a Temptation, because those work well for him)
    • If he’s clearing a bounce, it is likely that the lowest part of his cycle will not be mid cycle but will be at the end of the cycle (+12) or even past it. Don’t expect that because he gets past +6 without dropping lower, that it will continue that way. Jelly’s cycle yesterday morning is a great example of this. Look at it closely and see how he just kept dropping all day long.
    • The BG you get at different times in the cycle might need a different action. Look at the examples below:
      • AMPS 282 +2 180 +3 70
      • AMPS 282 +2 246 +5 182 +9 70
      • AMPS 101 +2 92 +4 70
      • AMPS 101 +2 92 +5 83 +6.5 70 +10 84
    In all four cycles above, you see a 70. Would you react the same way in all four examples? No, you wouldn’t. Here’s why:
      • In the first cycle, this kitty is clearing a bounce and doing it quickly. The +2 tells the CG that this is going to be an active cycle and because it is so much lower than the AMPS, it’s likely going to be active soon. Wisely, this CG tested at +3 and the kitty had also onset. But, if this CG was really smart, when she got the +2, she probably would have wanted to feed a really good helping of a higher LC food (maybe 10% depending on how her kitty responds to carbs) so she could slow the drop and also have some food on board for the onset at +3 when the number really dropped. Also, at +3 with a 70, she probably wants to even give a little MC to try and get the kitty to flatten out and stop dropping. If this was Jelly, I bet a Temptation with his LC would really help.
      • In the second cycle, this kitty is also clearing a bounce, but he’s doing it fairly slowly (yay!). At +9, he’s getting towards the end of the cycle but we want to be sure he doesn’t keep dropping so much that he’s below 50 at PMPS and the CG then has to stall or skip. For this kitty, a small helping of LC food might keep him surfing along in green without putting a screeching stop on his duration.
      • In the third cycle, this is a pretty flat cycle so even though the kitty is 70 early in the cycle, a small amount of LC food might just keep him surfing along in those nice green numbers until he nadirs and slowly starts back up.
      • In the fourth cycle, the CG would just feed regular LC meals at whatever schedule the kitty normally gets them but would not need to feed after +5 at the latest. Kitty has a nice nadir at +6.5 and then starts back up. Lovely.
    Do you see the difference in these cycles and how a number like 70 can either require alot of management (e.g. food) and attention (e.g. testing sooner rather than later) by the CG, some management, or even no management. This is why we can’t tell you a specific number that you have to worry about except, in most cases, a kitty below 50 needs attention (food and regular testing). A very, very experienced CG with a very flat and tightly regulated kitty might not worry about a 50 but for most, a 50 means you must manage the curve with food and testing right then. And anything below that definitely requires immediate attention.

What I’d like to see as a goal for you and see you doing starting tonight, is making your own schedule and proposing to us when you should test. It’s not possible to make a schedule for all day or even all cycle because we don’t always know which way it will go. But you can make your schedule for at least half a cycle at a time based on the numbers you have. I think it would be an excellent learning tool.

BTW, if Jelly was my kitty and had dropped 60 mg/dL in two hours to 95, I’d be testing a lot sooner than +9 or +10. Just sayin. He might be just fine but you don’t have enough data yet to know that. There might be a time when you do, but, personally, I don’t think it’s now.

Two other quick things:

• again, it is really, really important that you keep the subject line updated; I explained it in yesterday’s condo so please reread my post #69.
    • although Kris had you delete the numbers on the US SS, if you delete them there, you will lose the formatting and they will not auto populate when you then put the numbers in the World SS. It's important to enter your numbers on the World SS and let them auto convert.
    Have a great day and please let me know if you have questions. Again...I know it’s a lot of info but I wanted to try and answer your question with examples.

RochellenJelly and Gill & George like this.
  54. Kris & Teasel

This a great guide, Marje. I will say, though, that the concept of "clearing a bounce" isn't easily grasped at the start of an FD journey.

55. Marje and Gracie

True. Good point.

Rochelle: I’m pretty sure, from what you’ve said before, you understand the concept of a bounce. When a kitty bounces (to keep it short and simple), the liver and pancreas dump extra substances in the blood to raise the blood glucose. It can take up to six cycles for these substances to clear the bloodstream and for the BG to fall. Some cats clear in one cycle, as Jelly has been doing. I’ve actually seen a few cats take as much as ten cycles to clear.

When a kitty “clears the bounce”, then as the extra substances leave the bloodstream, the BG comes down. Sometimes (very often, actually), it comes down very fast and, instead of a lantus nadir more around mid-cycle, it might be more at the next preshot. Bounce clearing cycles are almost always very active cycles. So if kitty starts at a higher PS and has a +2 that is similar or less than the PS, he/she is likely to clear the bounce and come down quickly. Bounce clearing cycles bear watching closely for many cats!

I do not think Jelly is clearing a bounce today as you skipped last night. He might have gone a little lower last night but he was likely flat at the end of the cycle and through this morning.

56. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

he was only 10 at +11 and now at his PMPS .... i stalled no food not coming up ? do i shot?

57. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

hes only 10 at +12 and his PMPS i didnt fed now what?

58. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

59. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

I did yes .... and will feed the curve and Monitor ..... was scared but figured I gotta learn and make executive decisions myself I hope it was right

60. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

it's good to keep your momentum..... certainly until school starts up.

as usual, get a +2

61. Marje and Gracie

Good job, Rochelle!

There was no reason to not shoot....he was on the way up. Can you please update the SS, etc? Thank you!!!

I'll check in later....just got home from a meeting and need to get my kitties fed and my dinner.

62. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

I will thank you

63. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

theres a bad storm here and my internet is being shooty I am nervous hes droppping fast

64. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

please help 61.2 gave gravy food ..... ugh scared

65. Kris & Teasel

Hi Rochelle,

How much gravy food did you give ? You don't want to give much because he might need more in small amounts. You don't want to fill him up. Test again in 20 minutes and post here right away.

I should be in bed by now. I hope Marie checks in soon. I'll stick around for now.

66. Kris & Teasel

And don't forget about the devil treats - they can help too.

67. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

2 teaspoons he's ok not showing low signs and will test in 15 minutes that's +3.5 because we didn't shoot till eight as I felt he was low at 10 am didn't get higher after i stalled so I fed and shot and studen huge drop

68. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

He had 3. They do take longer to help rise then a gravy food right ? I hope it's going up lows give me the worst anxiety of my life

69. Kris & Teasel

Just making sure: that low green 61 was at +2 after his shot?

70. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

Yes and now it's lower

71. Kris & Teasel

Yes, the gravy should work faster. Lows are scary but you've handled a few already. You'll be less stressed with more experience.

72. Kris & Teasel

What is it now? Is this the +3.5 test? Please put it on your SS right away.

73. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

I did

74. Kris & Teasel

Sorry, I'm confused. I see a 61 in the +2 box on your SS but nothing after that. Isn't the +3.5 test next? It's not on the SS.

75. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

its on my spreeedsheet here i wonder why not updating

76. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

It's showing here

Attached Files:

77. Kris & Teasel

Strange. Just tell me what that +3.5 BG is then, OK?

78. Kris & Teasel

I see it now - another 3.4 on the "world" SS. So his BG is holding for now. Try giving him a teaspoon of mostly gravy from the gravy food. Wait 20 minutes and retest. His poor ears won't like it but safety first!

79. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

Ok we are good he's going up phew...... ok what now ? 4.6 or 83 ..... so more food ? How often can we sleep ? More tests

80. Kris & Teasel

Reminder about the SS: always put your BG number on the "world" SS first. It'll automatically show up on the US SS in the converted form.

81. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

I know it's not working here right now my internet crashed and am using my phone so I am not sure it's working properly

82. Kris & Teasel

What was the time of that test that gave this number? Was it +4? The number is higher because of the gravy food and treats. You're not out of the woods yet.

You need to get to the point where his BG levels out without food to prop it up. Once it's holding on its own or even rising, you can stop the frequent testing. He still fairly far from his nadir time.

83. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

Yes his +4 was that last reading he's not had anymore food when should I test again or feed again ? I have autofeeder now and can set alarm to test him and I am ok with that better safe then sorry
    ++

84. Kris & Teasel

OK. So he was 4.6 at +4 and he hasn't had any more food. Try this: no more food and test again in 20 minutes. You need to know if he's going to start dropping again.

85. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

Ok will you be here or if you need to go one of your lists would be great .... but please include worst case plan and actions or I will surely drop the bomb

86. Kris & Teasel

There won't be a worst case because you know what to do.

• Give very small amounts of high carb food at about 20 minute intervals after you've tested BG beforehand.
    • Keep an eye on the time so you know how close to nadir range he is - usually +5 to +7-ish.
    • If the tests show the BG is fairly level or rising slightly you can try not feeding, wait 20 minutes and test (a no food test).
    • If the no food test shows that the BG hasn't dropped or, even better, is rising slightly you can wait an hour before doing another NO FOOD test.
    • If the one hour test shows a level BG or a rise, you can probably leave the autofeeder to do it's work.

87. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

Ok I can do this thank you so much

88. Kris & Teasel

Are you OK now? I need to get to bed if you can manage.

89. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

Yes thank you so much

90. Kris & Teasel

Good luck! :)

91. Marje and Gracie

Sorry girls.....I'm at urgent care using iPhone. Didn't forget you but Sliced a chunk off my finger. Waiting to get stitches.

You're doing great. Fixed SS while waiting (thankfully cut my left hand, not right).

Rochelle...please reduce dose to 0.5u in morning .

Not sure what time I'll be home but will at least check in tomorrow. Good luck.

92. Gill & George

Ouch marje! Sending vines.

Morning Rochelle, I'm just getting up. So I can hang with you till JB is safe.

Can you tell me when was the last time you fed him gravy or devil treats?

The gravy can take about two hours to clear the system, and when it does the blood sugar can drop.

So we need to make sure his numbers are staying up without extra carbs/gravy.

So far
    You got
    • Shot at 8

• 61@ +2 (10pm)gravy and 3 temptations
    • 61@ +3.5(11.30pm) gravy
    • 83@+4 (midnight)

Is the above correct? A list of when you tested, what you got and what you fed would be really helpful.

Please get a test at +4.5.

He's not out of the woods yet.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Marje and Gracie likes this.
  93. Marje and Gracie

Thanks, Gill. Wasn’t sure when you’d be up. I’m back.....five stitches and tetanus. Such a klutz.

I’m not sure if @RochellenJelly is still checking the condo but hope she sees to reduce the dose to 0.5u in the morning. Also....Rochelle, since you shot at 8 tonight, you will need to shoot at 8 in the morning unless he is back in pink at +11. If he is pink at +11 (7 a.m. your time), you can shoot an hour early at 7 and get back on schedule.

Enough adventure for me...I’m headed to bed. Nighty night.

94. Bobbie And Bubba

So sorry about you finger Marje!

95. Kris & Teasel

I did what I could last night before I crashed myself. I hope it went OK. I know Rochelle's internet was down from a storm and she was using her phone to communicate.

96. Gill & George

I hope she sees the note about the reduction to 0.5u

97. Kris & Teasel

Her SS isn't updated with any other data either. I hope she logs on soon.

98. Kris & Teasel

Give 0.5 u this AM, Rochelle.

99. Gill & George

hope so, I've been checking in all morning here, been worried if JB was OK and how Rochelle was coping

100. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

we made it through night hes good but this am is only 8.2 please advise

101. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

we are ok my internet was wonky but with tests and gravy food he was ok but on lower end this am again please advise its 8:07 am here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.