06/12 Poopers AMPS 1.3(23)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Poopers and Catia, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Hi everyones Poopers numbers are extremely low. I already gave him 1 can of Fancy Feast and maple syrup. Usually we would give his insulin now. What do we do about his dosage? Do we give him anything or skip ?

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Could you get another test right away to see if that was a bad strip?

How is he doing? Looks okay?

3. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Bhooma is on point -- get a test to make sure you didn't have a bad strip or bad test. And you did the right thing re. giving high carb.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  5. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

it went up to 1.6(29) im going to check again right now its at 3.3(59)

6. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

I gave him the fancy feast wet food mixed with maple syrup

7. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Im just not sure what to do about the insulin for today

8. Bandit's Mom

Ok. Please skip the morning shot. He should be able to come up with just LC now that there is no shot this morning. Please test again in half an hour.

He has earned a reduction to 2.75U from tonight.

Btw, have you chosen a dosing protocol you'd like to follow?

9. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

We were thinking the SLGS most likely. And thank you tonight ill give him 2.75U. Tomorrow morning should i stay at 2.75U or 3U?

10. Bandit's Mom

Could you update your SS and Signature to say SLGS, please? So we don't keep asking you that every time you have a question regarding dosing. Thanks! :)

Yes, his dose is now 2.75U going forward. You hold the dose 7 days unless he drops below 90 (5mmol/l) and earns another reduction.

I don't think you need to feed him any more high carb since he won't be getting a shot. He should start moving up on his own. Please continue to feed and test him to ensure he doesn't dip again after the maple syrup wears off.

You can take off the 911 now! :)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) likes this.
  11. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

In your opinion do you think SLGL would be a good option for him?
    And thank you i will do that!

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

You can always switch to TR if you decide. you want to use a more aggressive approach to dosing Each method has it's strengths and every caregiver has his or her reasons for choosing a method. SLGS is an approach that's used across different types of insulin and was developed here. TR is a research based approach, was published in a leading vet journal, and is more aggressive. Both have track records for getting cats into good numbers (regulated) or remission.

13. Bandit's Mom

We have members following both SLGS and TR here.

TR is a more aggressive protocol with increases as often as every 3-5 days. Reductions are earned when the BG falls below 50 mg/dl (on a human meter). The aim is to keep the cat in the range of 50-100 (which is the normal BG range for cats and the pancreas healing zone). To follow TR, you would need to get at least one more test per cycle in addition to the pre-shot one i.e. 2 tests per cycle or 4 tests per day. You would also need to be feeding only LC canned food and no dry food.

With SLGS, the aim is to keep the cat in the 90-150 range. This is more suited for caregivers who can't test as much as TR requires. You do a weekly curve with SLGS.

14. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Ok thank you, i think i will probably read everything again and make notes and think about it about. If i decide to change it eventually ill update it

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  15. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

For now i might stick to SLGS and test him everyday at least twice per cycle if i can i will more. I will be looking into switching his dry food and we have been giving him much more wet food rather than dry food now

16. Bandit's Mom

Is he still on Hills GlucoSupport Dry + RC Diabetic canned?

17. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

I cant seem to find the thread i had when you told me other brands i should look into. Would you mind telling them again please?

18. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Yes he is

19. Bandit's Mom

I thought maybe you had started transitioning him to Fancy Feast which is what caused the drop this morning.

20. Bandit's Mom

21. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Everyday hes on those 2 you meantioned. Today since his levels were so low we gave him only Fancy Feast

22. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  23. Bandit's Mom

If he will eat Fancy Feast, you want to slowly transition him away from the higher carb food. The principle is the same as with human diabetics. If you have diabetes you stop having sugar and other carbs like breads, rice, potatoes etc. Some diabetics (human and feline) are able to control their diabetes with just a diet change. Feeding high carb and then giving insulin is counterintuitive! :)

Like I said before, please make the diet change slowly and with enough testing to see how low he goes so that you can reduce his dose. The change to a low carb diet can bring down his numbers and dose quite dramatically.

24. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

The FF is lower in carbs than any of the dry. The canned RC diabetic food is 14% carb and the Hill's is ridiculously high in carbs. If you fed Poopers FF pate style, it's likely a variety that's in the 5% carb range. Like Bhooma said, transition Poopers to low carb food otherwise, you're very likely to see his numbers drop like a ton of bricks.

Poopers and Catia likes this.
  25. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

What if i just gave him the wet food hes on right now? What if that would become his food for now instead of dry + wet? Do you think that would be better since the wet food is lower carbs?

26. Bandit's Mom

That would definitely be better than giving him the dry as well. But the wet food he is on right now is also too high in carbs. You can start by removing the dry food and then transition him from the wet food he is on now to something low carb like Fancy Feast Classics.

Please please make sure to test him frequently once you remove the dry food because his numbers will come down - which is good - but you want to catch the low and bring him up if he drops below 50/2.8 like he did today.

27. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Ok i will do that! Tonight ill only feed him the wet food and i will look into the Fancy Feast classic pate. Thank you so much for your help today :bighug:

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  28. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Catia, I'm not sure where you got the Hills and RC foods from, but most pet retail stores will give you a refund on whatever food is left. The manufacturers have a money back guarantee. Just say your kitty doesn't like it and load up on the Fancy Feast Classic pates if Poopers will eat them.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  29. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

You did good today, Catia. Hope your kitty like the Fancy Feast Classic Pate food. Make sure it is the Pate. You could also have a couple of cans of the gravy lovers around for when he needs medium/high carb food. My cat loves both of these.

Poopers and Catia likes this.
  30. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

I have to get the pate right now I only have the gravy lovers for situations like today! But I will definitely get the pate he’s going to love it

Bandit's Mom likes this.