06/27 SHAI PMPS. 437 help please

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dinah S, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

2. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

What? I am not understanding about the syringe or vial?

4. Suzanne & Darcy

You are afraid you have contaminated your vial? Or do you use a pen?

5. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

Yes vial

6. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

Made a longer post on Facebook with pic of that helps :arghh:

7. Suzanne & Darcy

So your syringe was a used syringe? Did you squirt the insulin back into the vial from a syringe that had already been used??

Dinah S likes this.
  8. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

I did this shot hope its ok…now Am wondering about Am shot cause vet opens after my shot time…so even if i go but a new one I’ll be late…..
    Also wondering if worth taking the 2u out now before it cooks in the vial all night ?! Am an idiot :-/

9. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

Correct this morning one put on my disposablr spot but grabbed it cause had terrible day (know its not a good excuse but its what happened)

10. Suzanne & Darcy

I saw the photo on FB. If that’s your vial then I would say it is contaminated

Dinah S likes this.
  11. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

Yes it is…so would you take 2u out now for the morning shot ?! Or skip the shot ?! Or what ?! Am meant to take my dog to vet Am a mess

12. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

Different vet not Shai one

13. Suzanne & Darcy

Too late to do anything about it now. You shot. I’m sure Shai will be okay. But we need to talk about drawing insulin from the vial. Obviously you should use a brand new, never been used before syringe every day. Throw the used ones away immediately in whatever way you dispose of them.
    This is really important- draw out the insulin, but once you have drawn insulin into the syringe, do not ever squirt it back into the vial. If you have excess insulin in your syringe you must expel it over a sink or a trash can or a paper towel or whatever, but don’t squirt any insulin back into the vial. The syringes contain a lubricant in them that helps them to glide more smoothly, and you don’t want that lubricant getting into the insulin vial to contaminate the whole vial.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    Ashleigh & Ares and Ben&Squirrel like this.
  14. Suzanne & Darcy

And I am so sorry, by the way, for your bad news. I don’t know what it is, but it sounds awful and you are obviously upset. Is your dog okay? Can you pick up a new vial of insulin when you take the dog to the vet?

15. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

Ooooh dear well been doing that for well a year especially with the 1.75u & bubbles annoy me too…….its hell to do…well maybe thats another reason why he isnt going down….stupid me again
    Many thanks will get new one & never ever do that again

16. Suzanne & Darcy

Also, once insulin is drawn out of the vial and into the syringe- it’s only good for about 30 minutes.

17. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

So why are bloody vets doing it then ??? :banghead: Last time they had no vial in stock & wanted to prepare me syringes with 2u in them instead

18. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

Thanks
    Once removed pathology will say if nasty but looks like cancerous (anal glands area)
    Different vets but I’ll get a new one for pm shot sure thing
    The one for dog is 2h from home…going in thr aftermoon

19. Suzanne & Darcy

No clue. I asked my vet about this once too and she said no way because it will lose potency once it’s taken out of the vial. I guess the vet thought it was better than nothing.

Dinah S likes this.
  20. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh no. The pathology report was bad? But you aren’t sure if it’s cancer yet? Or the report says it’s cancer? I’m so sad to hear this. I pray your dog will be better.

21. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

Ok thanks
    By thr way I visited 5 pet shops today no Fancy feast anywhere only grilled in one so Didnt get any but bought a few things though not sure they are all ok yet but will post on Facebook once I get a chance to settle cause right now Am a mess to say the least…

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  22. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

It needs to be cut to send to pathology…but looks ugly & started bleeding though small & just appeared thought it was swollen anal glands or abcess but vet said its not

23. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

I hope once taken off itll ge ok but vet was ummmm

24. Suzanne & Darcy

Vets don’t know everything. Wait until the pathology report comes back. It may not be as bad as the worst news. Or it may be treatable. Don’t give up hope yet.

Dinah S likes this.
  25. Suzanne & Darcy

I don’t think vets should say stuff like that before they know for sure. Poor dog having to go through all that. I hope he will have pain meds cause it’s going to hurt, I am sure.

Dinah S likes this.
  26. Suzanne & Darcy

This is from the sticky note at the beginning of this forum on drawing insulin.
    • If you draw up too much insulin in the syringe... squirt excess either into the air dramatically like they do on TV or into a paper towel... anywhere but back into vial/cartridge/pen. There is a silicon coating inside the syringe. It may contaminate the insulin vial with silicon.

27. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

Looked it up on internet too this is why I messed up the insulin cause of 30mn following news on internet reading……not sure I’d even want to know thonk its best to cut it out and hope for thr best but

28. Suzanne & Darcy

You do keep the insulin vial in the Fridge, right?

Dinah S likes this.
  29. Suzanne & Darcy

I have researched stuff I was afraid about in my animals too - and got myself all upset. A lot of times I got all upset for nothing.

Ashleigh & Ares and Dinah S like this.
  30. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

Sure do

31. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

Thanks will hope for the best but she’s getting old too with lumps & bumps since a while though always fatty ones…this one looks yok will discuss taking it out tomorw

32. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

Could I send you pics of the foods I got on Messenger at some stage ?! You can say no ;)

33. Suzanne & Darcy

More hugs. I hate it when our beloved pets get old.

Dinah S likes this.
  34. Suzanne & Darcy

Sure. No worries.

Dinah S likes this.
  35. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

Thanks lots she turned 12 in january & is medium size so old :confused:

36. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

Thanks lots will see how tomorw goes then might manage to think straight…And Do pics got some weruva & others

37. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Weruva is good. Their website includes carbs and everything else.
    So sorry about your morning. Prayers for your dog. :bighug:

Dinah S likes this.
  38. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Do you have a reference for that? It's not something I've seen.

39. Suzanne & Darcy

I’m sorry, Dinah! I think I did mis-speak about the syringes that are pre-filled. I’m glad Wendy asked me this! I do know that my vet told me that it’s not a good idea to pre-fill syringes and use them too much later - because when I was switching my cat from ProZinc to Lantus — well long story not important here…. However, the credible source type material that I have seen - range anywhere from saying that these syringes should be used within a few hours to a month. So what the heck? This is interesting and I still am looking into it. I was at the vet yesterday with two cats and I wish I had asked about it! So forget the 30 minutes! I do know that your vial had red blood suspended in it and appeared to be contaminated. I was really surprised that you had blood in the old syringe though (very occasionally I had bleeding.). I hope you got a new vial. It should stay all fresh now for a long time with no silicone lubricant put back into it, right? ;) Now that you know not to do that. Sorry about all that!

Ashleigh & Ares and Dinah S like this.
  40. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh, and I have been thinking about you and your dog. Last night when I went to be about midnight I was thinking that it was the next day for you and you would be taking him to the vet. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Ashleigh & Ares likes this.
  41. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

Thanks

42. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

All
    good thanks yes got a. New one & wasted about 25u & 10 syringes & still didn’t manage to avoid the bubble plus surely gave him less than the 2u as o didn’t manage…..am mad at myself got no clue on on to do it properly :banghead:

43. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

New thread later sorry too tired slept 1h in 2 days & 1 night x

44. Ashleigh & Ares

Ashleigh & Ares Well-Known Member

Hi Dinah
    Do u mean the bubble that us in the syringe after drawing ou the insulin? Here is what I do...flick with light strength at first to force the bibble into the very middle top. if doesn't work after mamy flicks, begin flicking a lil bit harder. If the bubble still will not get into the very middle, pull back some air into the syringe until u have a nice level air pocket. then try pushing back out all the air. This normally gets all the air out with no bubble. if another bubble appears at this time, i can usually flick it to the middle easier!

Hope this helps. wasting 25U and 10 syringes would drive me crazy!

Also! Im not sure about everyone else, but I have only found 2 brands of syringes that are good out of ghe 5 ive tried The UltiCare and SureComfort. They are more expensive, but to not have to trash 1 or 2 and waste insulin...id rather pay the higher price. You can actually get the Ulticare from Amazon amd maybe even the surecomfort!

**Update
    I just looked up Surecomfort on Amazon...dont buy those, they show the right box, but people are getting a completely different brand!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    Dinah S likes this.
  45. Dinah S

Dinah S Member

Yes thank you so very much this is very helpful & I’ll try my best to manage this at my next go in the morning…tonight one was not good & his numbers are still high so am even more mad at myself :banghead: will look the syringes up though by the time things reach Australia think I have mo much choice but to get used to what is available here :arghh:

Ashleigh & Ares likes this.