? 06/30/2020 ? Increase of insulin going up ? Salem Amps ?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tina and Salem, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Tina and Salem

Tina and Salem Well-Known Member

Good Morning
    Salems ip to 5 units for insulin . Im worried . He waa a few minths ago at 2.75 now hes up to 5 ? Yes i know i stayed at 4.50 units for awhile. I didnt want to increase while it was food influenced . He has a few below 59 bgs. we had a but of trouble with salem sneaking the high carb food from the other csts ! He was sneaking into the room.
    By another cat jojo hes buddy then later he was sneaking waiting in the rooms corner behind boxes while i sat the other cats good in there . Its a empty room where my daughter moved out . Its full of boxes now . This is where im locking the other cats in while they eat .

Why is he going up so much all of a sudden ? The sneaking the high carb food i know sure did not help us out . Any advise what im doung wrong ? What can i do ?
    i hope everyones having a great week . Im a great aunt ! My niece had her baby Sunday night ! A sweet baby boy 7 lbs 7 ozs 20 inches boy ! Hes just perfect !

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/06-27-2020-salem-pmps-181.231565/#post-2590020

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS on the new baby!!! Always wonderful to welcome a new member to the family :)

As for looking back...well you just can't do it. Doesn't matter how much insulin it took at one time to keep those numbers looking good, but what dose it's taking now. If you think he's still getting into the high carb foods, then that's another factor and you'll have to closely monitor because as I'm sure you know, more carbs = more insulin as his body isn't producing enough to handle those carbs. I don't believe getting into contraband/carbs causes the bg to stay elevated for very long...maybe a day...but certainly not long term...unless he's making it a habit.

Once you're sure that he's not getting into any contraband you can watch those numbers and hopefully he'll show you that he's had enough insulin and will earn a reduction.

Have a great day Tina!

Si am cat mom and Tina and Salem like this.
  3. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Congratulations on being a "Great Aunt" Tina!! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

How is Salem's overall health and his teeth? Are his 5 p's good? Preening, purring, peeing, pooping and playing? Any chance there's an infection, that would cause a rise in BG'S?

Hope you have a good day!! :)

Tina and Salem likes this.
  4. Tina and Salem

Hes teeth do need work but i just dont have the money right now . Im going to have to start putting away to get them cleaned and worked on . Oh boy its going to cost too . I know he will have to be put to sleep to do all this work
    Everything else seems fine ..all his p’s are fine too . And i guess i will just have to stop feedi g the orher cats the high carb food . Thanks everyone .

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the new baby! I hope Salem slides down today.

Tina and Salem likes this.
  6. Tina and Salem

Hes teeth do need work but i just dont have the money right now . Im going to have to start putting away to get them cleaned and worked on . Oh boy its going to cost too . I know he will have to be put to sleep to do all this work
    Everything else seems fine ..all his p’s are fine too . And i guess i will just have to stop feedi g the orher cats the high carbfood .