07/13 Blackie's PMPS 420

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Angela & Blackie & 3 Others, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Ouch. I've added today's information just now. I've also backed off on giving her a fair amount of chicken treats throughout the past few days, too. I did give her 1/4 can of food after the +5 test, though. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong.

2. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

I think she might just be stuck in those higher numbers. It wouldn't hurt to increase her to a fat 1.4, try to get some drop. I don't think you're doing anything wrong, she's just not cooperating. ;-) You have to try different things sometimes to figure out what works for your cat. You've given this dose enough time, she is going in circles, IMO.

3. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Angela,

How old is your bottle of insulin? I am starting to wonder if maybe it has pooped out/is pooping out for some reason...

~M

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd probably go to 1.6. With Bix I've noticed if he sits in higher #s it seems like he kind of gets stuck there and needs more insulin to bring him down. I'm not sure if it's technically insulin resistance or not, but in any case you are seeing a nice U-curve and no continued progress on this dose, so looks to me like it's time to raise. I know it's frustrating, but it seems like the pattern - sometimes once they stay in good #s for a couple cycles then the dose ends up needing to be reduced, but seems like you have to increase it often to see progress before you can get to that point. Somehow their bodies seem to compensate for it, and if they need some liver-training it can be a bit of a battle til the liver learns its place. :)

Alternately with PZI you can shoot earlier than +12 to try to head off those higher #s, and sometimes that can help get things under control faster. It's tricky though to get the timing right and to get the doses adjusted, so just mentioning it somewhat idly. There are some people around who have had good success with that (not me, I never really got the hang of it).

5. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Mary, the insulin bottle was purchased June 2nd, 2010.

Joanna, Blackie's showing some improvement this morning. I've forced her to do a bit of walking around the house by tempting her with some chicken. She needs a bit of exercise, and isn't prone to playing with kitty toys much anymore. Boiled chicken treats work nicely to get those little paws moving. LOL Now, she's pooped. LOL I only walked her around for about 5 minutes, but it's a start and it's enough for the time being. I'll try for another 5 minutes this evening. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.