08.01. Simba AMPS 322 +6 302 PMPS 286 +2 263 +4 238- first full day of Lantus.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lina and Simba, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Lina and Simba

Lina and Simba Member

Good morning from this side of the world!

I'm happy to see Simba's BG didn't take a sudden plunge at any point last night, that might give me some peace of mind for a couple nights of restful sleep.

I was thinking about measuring his BG at +6, then PMPS and in the evening after dinner at +2 or +3. Thoughts on this? I understood it takes a while for Lantus to form a depot... so I could reduce the frequency of testing for the first couple of days.

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Lina and Simba likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

4. Lina and Simba

Lina and Simba Member

5. Lina and Simba

Lina and Simba Member

6. Lina and Simba

Lina and Simba Member

BG has steadily decreased since last night. I emailed the vet that took his urine and blood samples on Tuesday to clarify a couple of things for me. There was no numerical value for ketones in his urine, it has been marked as +/- as to say that ketones have been detected. I have ordered ketostix and u100 syringes, currently I'm dosing the insulin directly from the pen. At least for now 3 units seems to be a good amount to begin with. I'll give it a week to see if Simba's formed any type of curve or trend in his BG.

7. Bandit's Mom

There is an up to 20% variance in meters. So he was pretty flat last night. :)
    You can buy the u-100 syringes from Walmart too. They have 0.3 ml(cc) syringes with half unit markings for $12.58 a box. ReliOn brand.

8. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Nice job on your title! As Bhooma mentioned, just need to add a copy/paste of your previous post for continuity. Some of us don't manage to get on the forum regularly enough to know the history behind what happened before...:facepalm: like me.

Keep up the great job you're doing :)

9. Lina and Simba

Lina and Simba Member

Unfortunately no Walmart in Finland. :( I had to order them online from a farm animal veterinary shop. Pretty much 1€ for a syringe. But anything for my boy!

10. Lina and Simba

Lina and Simba Member

Thank you! I'll make sure to include a link to this thread in tomorrow's one. Simba's just had his afternoon snack and I'll be measuring PMPS in 3,5 hours.

11. Bandit's Mom

Sorry! My mistake. I assumed you were in the US! Have you looked to see if there are websites in the UK or EU who could sell it you cheaper? For whole unit doses, you could use regular syringes - the ones without the half unit marks.

12. Lina and Simba

Lina and Simba Member

I'll look for some cheaper options too, I just went for the first ones I could find and that could be shipped to me ASAP. :)

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  13. Lina and Simba

Lina and Simba Member

PMPS 286. Going in with 3 units of Lantus immediately after dinner.

14. Lina and Simba

Lina and Simba Member

I'll be teaching my family members how to test his BG and administer a shot on the weekend. :) My mum did his insulin tonight and it went really well!

tiffmaxee likes this.
  15. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

That’s great! It’s hard doing it solo like I did.

16. Lina and Simba

Lina and Simba Member

Steady going at PMPS +2. I think this calls for a good night's sleep! I ended up pricking both of Simba's ears and then his paw pad to get tonights measurement and yet somehow he remained patient throughout the process. I've been practicing pricking his ears and sometimes it just doesn't work out!

17. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

That's actually a bit of a drop to +2, if you are up for it, a before bed test or +4 might be interesting. With Lantus, if there is a drop from preshot to +2, for many cats it means a more active cycle to follow.

18. Lina and Simba

Lina and Simba Member

I’ll do a +4 out of curiosity! I had a danger nap earlier this evening so I’m up haha. :D

19. Lina and Simba

Lina and Simba Member

+4 was 238. I’m really pleased to see this type of gradual effect in comparison to the huge drops that were occurring on Protaphane. Maybe there’s a chance of seeing Simba’s BG in the “blues” in the following days! Goodnight from us :)

Wendy&Neko likes this.