08/08 New Member - Adjusting Insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MCMski, Aug 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCMski

MCMski New Member

Hi! I joined the Facebook group a while back and noticed that everyone recommends coming here. So, I finally created a login and downloaded the spreadsheet. Fiyero was diagnosed a year ago, so I've been through a lot of tests and trials over the year. I'm extremely grateful for the group for pointing me towards trying Fancy Feast Classic. His numbers have improved greatly!!

I have not been tracking his numbers on the spreadsheet, yet. I am going to fill in some of the info from the glucose curves I still have the info on. I realize that isn't ideal for background info, but this is where I am with it all.

So, now my question. For over a week, he has been in a pattern of having AMPS between 112 - 180 and PMPS of 210 - 316. Since his number in the morning is SO low, I have not been administering his morning dose. In the evening, I do give him 1 unit since he's over 200. Should I do half a unit in the morning?? Or is it ok to only shoot once a day?

He is currently eating the Fancy Feast Classic wet food, no dry food at all, and takes 1 unit Vetsulin twice a day (except this past week-ish since his AMPS have been lower). I have been regularly taking his AM/PM #s for the past month, but don't have a record of them. I will do better!

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome! I just have to feed my cats and I’ll get back to you :)

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If you could fill out the last 3 weeks of BGs on the spreadsheet that would be very helpful. We can’t really give dosing advice without the SS.
    It is much better to give the insulin twice a day as vetsulin works for less than 12 hours, which means your kitty is not getting insulin for at least 12 hours a day.
    Usually when a caregiver has to keep skipping a dose, we suggest reducing the dose so that you can hopefully give the insulin twice a day.
    So if you are giving 1 unit once a day at the moment, you could try giving 0.5 units twice a day and see if that lets you shoot the am and pm doses. Start with giving 0.5 for the pm dose and see if that brings up the AMPS at all.
    I am not a vetsulin user but I can give you this link to vetsulin use
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/beginners-guide-to-caninsulin-vetsulin.231587/

Have you thought about swapping to a longer lasting insulin such as Lantus? It is a much better insulin for cats and lasts longer.

Are you testing during the cycles as well as before the shots?
    So glad you have decided to come and join us!
    Bron

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME! We are glad you've joined us! Flyero is one HANDSOME boy! It will be a pleasure to see his little face gracing our pages!
    I just wanted to say hello and welcome.
    jeanne

5. MCMski

MCMski New Member

Thank y'all so much for the kind welcome.

Fiyero had an awful hypo incident back in March and that's when I started to learn more and joined the FB group.

On a regular basis, I only take his pre-shot/pre-food number in the morning and evening. I've done a full day glucose curve about once a month-ish after the big hypo incident. We were very slow moving his insulin from .25, .5, 1 once then twice a day. In the process, I also changed his food to the Fancy Feast Classic. So, no, I don't typically take mid-cycle numbers.

I've been using the AlphaTrak2, but I'm probably going to switch to the ReliOn soon bc of the cost effectiveness.

We did use a different insulin before Vetsulin but it was a bit too expensive and was what he went hypo on, so I have negative associations with it. I do realize it was my lack of knowledge and tracking which caused the incident.

I will work on adding his numbers to the SS the next day or so. I will try moving to two doses of .5U instead of only one dose of 1U. That makes sense and is probably the safest to do right now.

What points during the cycle do you recommend testing on a daily basis? How often do you find yourselves doing a full curve?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  6. MCMski

MCMski New Member

my days/nights are a little flipped, so I am headed to bed. I will check in before his PM.

Thank you, again.

Oh - one more thing - I notice both of y'all have (GA) after your names. Is that to note what state you're in?

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

GA means guardian angel or gone ahead....our kitties have died.
    With Vetsulin, I would test at +3 And +5.
    Do you feed him and wait 30 minutes before giving the insulin?

8. jt and trouble (GA)

(GA) Signifies Gone Ahead or Guardian Angel. My Trouble passed away back in 2010.

As for the testing advice all I can add is for some kitties you cant test too much. Its been many years since I have had a diabetic cat so I dont give dosing advice. I use to only test 2-4 times a day. Thats low on the range these days :p

9. jt and trouble (GA)

I should add maybe look at others sheets. If you notice its how dosing advice is given.

10. MCMski

MCMski New Member

Thank you! Great idea to look at others' SS.

Of course after I wrote all that, his numbers went high the next times we tested. We discovered that he learned how to open our foster kittens' food and treats!! Naughty boy! So, relocated those foods and have secured them better.

So sorry for your kitty losses. <3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.