? 08/13...alone on Saturday Milo AMPS 144

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha Member

Good morning!
    I have to go away on Saturday for 12 hours (right after I shoot Milo and returning for his evening injection.) I know he’s due for an increase but I don’t feel comfortable until at least Sunday. I have a neighbour who will check in on him at +6 but haven’t heard back if she’s willing to do BG testing. It’s a big ask and I live in a rural area so options are extremely limited and even more so with COVID.
    I am nervous about leaving Milo but I haven’t seen my parents since pre-COVID (Christmas) and they live 8 hours (round trip) away.
    If Milo is around 150, I think I’d feel ok about giving him his usual dose as long as there’s no weird bounces between now and then. Any other thoughts on dosing?? I’m open to your suggestions if you think a BCS is in order. Thanks in advance.
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...9-amps-176-1-205-2-214-4-202-5-75-229.233519/

Beck and Philly likes this.
  2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Can you take Milo with you? He might like a change of scenery.

Briere Fur Mom and tiffmaxee like this.
  3. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

I don't like the idea of shooting a full dose and being 4 hours away, especially if Milo won't be tested. And you can't monitor how much he's eating. If you can convince your neighbor to test/ensure they're capable of testing(Milo might not approve:rolleyes:) and have confidence that the neighbor could handle lower #s, through your assistance, shoot the normal dose. A lot rides on your neighbor in this situation. I don't have that much faith in my neighbors:(
    I've had to leave Moey for 6 hours w/o testing. I knew Moey would eat. I left out MC food for him to free feed. I shot the normal dose. However, I was only an hour away from him, not 4. Plus I had TONS of data, knew Moey's cycles VERY well and could GUARANTEE he was going to eat. I'm not recommending you do this...just saying it can be done after gaining experience with Milo.
    We'll see what others say but a reduced dose might be wise.
    If Milo's a good traveller Paula's idea is fabulous. You should check out Teri and DiscoNoFurNo's condos. That cat goes everywhere!!! Even kayaking:woot:

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

We have had members here that took their cats everywhere, camping included. A former member takes her two young ones in their RV everywhere. Max was too skittish and so would one of my two girls be. No history of DKA ? I’d skip and pretend it’s a fur shot if bringing him along won’t work.

5. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Safety first, and you not worrying while driving and visiting your parents is the most important part of your decision.

I haven't ever traveled unless moving, with a cat. I'm not very adventurous/ and or worry too much ;) and have only assumed cats wouldn't like going places. I've known of other people, including Paula, taking their kitties along when necessary:) with no trouble!

Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha likes this.
  6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Smokey traveled a few times when I took him back to visit with my dad. 6 hrs round trip. But we stayed overnight. He went right into his old habits from when he lived with him.

Ollie, I got enclosed playpen for the week in motel. She was fine and safe during the day in it. When I got back to room at night she was on the bed with me. Even took her into rest stop bathroom with me because it was to hot to leave in car. She was in her stroller. If she was dropping to low and I took her to work, she would look around, take a stroll down the hall on her leash then sleep under the desk. The hard part was taking all the supplies and carting them in and out.

She also traveled from Canada to me in PA. That was over 8 hr trip for her.

So if your parents don't mind, take him with you. You also wouldn't worry about him at home.

7. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha Member

Unfortunately Milo gets car sick and is super stressed while travelling. My neighbour is coming over tomorrow to try the testing. I think a reduced shot or skipping is the way to go... I like the idea of a reduced shot best. What would be best?
    Thanks for all your input.