08/14 Milo AMPS 153, +2 117, +4 59, +4.75 88 Home alone tomorrow

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/08-13-alone-on-saturday-milo-amps-144.233566/#post-2610229

Good morning!
    I’m preparing for my only trip away for months (years?!) tomorrow. I will leave right after I take care of the cats and come home 12 hours later for Milo’s injection. My neighbour is willing to do BG testing but hasn’t *actually* tried it yet and she wouldn’t really know what to do for a low.
    So, it was suggested either no shot or a reduced shot. Since he had .75 units when I panicked, we have some idea how he’s react, I think. I would prefer that he get at least some insulin since he’s been cruising along in the yellows and blues lately. What might a missed shot do as opposed to .75u?? The neighbor will come and feed for sure.

2. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

Tiffmaxee mentioned a skipped shot. I mentioned the reduced shot. Both are options. Tiffmaxee brought up a good point. If Milo decides not to eat, for w/e reason, there could be issues. You might be wise to skip this one. Skipping will drain the depot some so, you'll probably be shooting a higher PS. No big deal. Milo will get back on track. I've skipped when not able to test. Pretend it was a FS, which we've all done. This gets your neighbor off the hook too. As long as there's no history of DKA(diabetic ketoacidosis) skipping shots can bring peace of mind. We just don't like doing it.....but is necessary sometime for the safety of your sweet one.
    We'll see what tiffmaxee and others have to say;)

3. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Thank you for your thoughts. Milo has no history of DKA. I guess it feels counter-productive to skip but if one shot won’t make a huge difference, I see the point. Should I have the neighbour test his BG? Or just feed?
    Btw... a BIG compliment from my vet yesterday! I went in to pick up more u-100 syringes and gave the update on Milo’s levels. He was totally impressed and said “Well done! You’ve done better than I did! Keep giving him wet food.” I told him I had switched to raw food and he was happy. The vet tech said she couldn’t have handled the pee difficulties and stuck it out (what’s the alternative??) I said it was all due to the support and expertise here. Thank you again for doing what seemed to be the impossible a month ago! The vet gives everyone two BIG thumbs up!!

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I totally understand your dilemma. You have the two choices. For me if I couldn’t be around I would be scared to shoot. In your case he’s not gone too low yet but he won’t always eat. Most cats get very hungry if their bg gets low but not all. Is there any food he absolutely loves even if not the best for him? A reduced shot is an option but the depot is in play and could influence the cycle. Please fill in your ss for last night. Let’s see how he does today and The first part of tonight. Then maybe the decision will become clear. If you do skip there’s no reason to have your neighbor test. Whichever way you go he will get back on track. Your vet even had to admit that. I’m sure glad you found the FDMB so you didn’t have to listen to her.

5. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

Wow now that was a great report!!! Your Vet sounds like a keeper.

It's probably ok not to test, except for the one out the door before you leave. Just to make sure Milo's ok. The depot can stay "in play" for some days after no insulin has been given. Def have the neighbor feed and monitor his behavior while present.

Having your neighbor test is wonderful, if they can handle it w/o "injuring/scaring" Milo half to death. I don't have that faith in my neighbor. I'd be scared they'd accidentally let my kitties outside or smthg crazy like that:rolleyes:
    I'd want the neighbor testing in my presence first, to make sure they're doing it right. And cats often have other ideas about who's safe or a stranger. Milo may not trust your neighbor outside of your presence. So, if you are able to rely on your neighbor for future outings....have them come over and test with you. See how Milo reacts. Watch how well your neighbor does. Have your neighbor come over when when Milo thinks you're not there. Watch through a window or somewhere unnoticed by Milo. See how he acts. Doing these "dry" runs can give you some confidence that the neighbor could assist you if you need to go away in the future. Just my thoughts.

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Skipping shot sometimes is necessary. The depot will help a little bit. It will readjust quickly. So no worries. Enjoy seeing your parents.

7. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Maybe another point of view, to aid, not complicate.

In my years of pet sitting, I have given insulin to two dogs (easy) and four cats other than my own. The cats who did not already know me - I failed with them (I got insulin into one kitty after two hours, then not again for three days . . . the people didn't seem to care). That was a cat who acted fine with me while the owner was present.
    The other failure was a cat that did NOT like anyone other than her people. I was told to grab her while hissing and screaming, and stick her fast. I did not do it. But they were fine if I failed! The cats I'd already been petsitting before they became diabetic, were not hard to shoot. Only one person ever asked me to test! Funny, both my failures were torties!!
    All that was before Tina was diagnosed.

Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha likes this.
  8. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Thanks all. Unfortunately I crashed right after Milo’s injection last night so no BG testing last evening. The good news is that I slept for almost 12 hours straight which was so necessary. I will test him right before leaving tomorrow, skip the shot and see if my neighbour might be willing to “train”. She is an environmentalist with a huge history with animals, has a farm and does a lot of vet care for her own (and wild) creatures. It seems logical to train her up. However, she’s a “country” neighbour meaning she lives about 12 km away, not right next door or anything, and she can’t drop everything to sit with a hypoglycaemic cat necessarily. I’m not sure if the status of my work for the moment so fall could be tricky. Oh well, one challenge at a time.

9. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

I am fortunate that Milo is adjusting well to testing and sits in my lap quietly most of the time now. He can be distracted on a counter and doing the large pad as a last resort is the easiest way to test him. My friend is great with animals as this has been her job and her life for 40 years. If there’s anyone I would trust, it’s her. Plus, she’s been laid off and could use some extra income so if it all worked out, it could be a win-win.

10. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are SET and all will work out just FINE!!
    Please enjoy your visit. I'm on my way to visit my dad pretty soon - only 50 miles away and I haven't seen him since the end of May. Trying to be safe.
    Have a great day!

11. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Have a good visit with your dad!!

Milo has just dropped to 117 @+2 from AMPS 153. I guess more testing today to be sure he doesn’t go too low. Maybe we’ll start hanging out the the greens!! Considering this, I’ll definitely skip tomorrow’s am injection. Can’t risk it.

12. tiffmaxee

See, he’s cooperating and making your decision clear. Wonder what his +3 will be???

13. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

It looks like you've gotten some great suggestions and things to think about. So I'm going to add one more thing for you to think about - I think it's too late now to do this, but I've found an auto feeder to be a lifesaver.

I've had to leave the house for surgery once (DH had to take me so Luci was left at home alone for almost the entire day); and occasionally for work, or just other obligations. Life happens. I put plenty of food in her dish, and fill every cell of her auto feeder and when it spins, she 'usually' eats some or all of it.

It looks like Milo is making excellent progress - and that indeed is a testament to your efforts, testing and giving insulin. At this point, it seems that you've made your decision so you may find some higher numbers in the coming days. Each of us has to make our own decision and these are early days for you - you'll get more comfortable with the effects on insulin as time goes on.

Enjoy your day off tomorrow :)

14. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

I had to go out but tested as soon as I got home. He's at 59 +4 and still hadn't had his breakfast. I opened a can of FF pate (LC) and he's eating that right now. Last time I panicked and went to HC right away. I think I remember to try the LC first.... I hope I've done that right. I don't want him to drop too far and his +6 is still 2 hours away...

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  15. tiffmaxee

Check again in 20 -30 minutes. I might have tried some mc but let’s see what the lc does. Since he hadn’t eaten yet the lc might just be enough. Good catch.

16. tiffmaxee

I’m back to see next test. It’s important that he eat before onset. Next time you leave him make sure he has eaten even if you have to syringe or finger feed. That’s why we test, feed, and then shoot as we need to make sure they eat. When Max was inappetent my go to food was Gerber’s 2nds all meat baby food.

17. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

He's 88 now @ 4.75. Are the Gerber foods LC, MC or HC? So if I test and he doesn't eat right away, I shouldn't shoot? I didn't realize that. This could be tricky as he is picky and doesn't always eat at the same time.

18. tiffmaxee

Good he came up. LC.

19. tiffmaxee

Gerber’s is lc. Most cats love it. It’s pure chicken, ham, beef, or turkey. If you need to make it higher carb you can add a drop of karo. It’s good to get some food into them if they won’t eat their food. I also used it if I had to give supplements to make sure they got it all.

20. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Would you recommend karo over honey? Do I get it at the pharmacy?

21. tiffmaxee

Either one works. Karo is in tge grocery store. I only used one of those if Max was in the 40’s or lower. He was very carb sensitive. He also loved Soulistic Triple Harmony pouches available at Petco and perhaps elsewhere. It was another go to for me with his pancreatitis but very high carb so he only got it when he hit low numbers.

22. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Karo is plain ole corn syrup. "Karo" is the brand name in the US.

Make sure the baby food does not contain any onions or garlic.

Edit: and don't even ask what "American cheese" is.

23. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I too have used a few drops of honey on my finger or on the back of Luci's paw. The only downside of these kinds of 'carbs' is they are pure sugar - honey, syrup, corn or maple, agave, etc. is pure sugar....and when used in an emergency will send them soaring - however, that little sugar hit won't last long and down they'l come. So as long as he's responding to the low carb food, I'd hold off adding anything else...looks like the numbers are coming up nicely.

24. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Wonderful; thank you all! LOL....I guess I don't speak American well! Karo= corn syrup....who knew?! (Well, perhaps only us Canadians don't!) But I DO know American cheese...yummy!
    Understood about the emergency honey/karo/maple syrup etc. It makes sense they get a cat out of trouble quickly but they will head back down after spiking up; it's not a long-term solution. That's why the feeding should be better, I suppose. But I know I still need to keep an eye out. I will test again (+6) is only in 15 mins.

tiffmaxee likes this.