08/16 Tiberious PMPS 316 new to FDMB!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Susan and Tiberious, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan and Tiberious

Susan and Tiberious Member

HI everyone!

Tiberious and I are newcomers to FDMB and I was encouraged to post his info. I've been in sheer awe @ how helpful and knowledgeable you all have been. Much Thanks!! :lol: Any and all information is completely welcomed. I just started today with 1.0u BID -initially the vet advised once every 24hrs, which obviously wasn't working. So I'm hopeful we will start seeing results in the near future.
    my previous post.

Best Wishes~

2. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Hi Susan and Tiberious! Welcome to LantusLand...you're right, this the best place to be for your FD kitty! Very awesome that you have your spreadsheet up, running, and well-populated considering you just started today!

I hope we get to see more of you guys, and don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you need...we're all one big family here!

Again, Welcome!

Amy

3. Susan and Tiberious

4. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to Lantus Land! Loving Tiberious' name!! :D :D :D You'll want to read (and even copy/keep for future reference) the stickies at the top of the Lantus Land page. There is a wealth of information there. It can be a bit intimidating at first, so please don't hesitate to ask questions if you're ever unsure about something. I look forward to learning more about you both!

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Between the info the folks on Health provided and directing you to the starred, sticky notes at the top of the board, you've gotten good information. And even better, you've been home testing and started a spreadsheet (SS).

At this point, you're essentially starting from scratch. By once a day dosing, Tiberious has hot been able to get his Lantus "shed" built. You'll want to stick with your current dose for approximately 5 days, unless numbers or any relevant medical history dictate otherwise. (Does your cat have any medical issues we should be aware of?

Lantus works in a cumulative manner. As the insulin builds up in Tiberious' system, I think you'll start to see his numbers come down. The cycle today doesn't look bad at all. Please make sure that what you're feeding your cat is low carb. The "classic" varieties of Fancy Feast (FF) are what you want to be feeding. Also, make sure you have high carb (i.e., food with "gravy" == grilled, marinated, or "Gravy Lovers" varieties) food stocked up. We use this to steer the cycle if numbers start to drop into lower ranges.

Please let us know if you have questions. The people here are very generous with their time and their knowledge. I hope you'll post regularly.

6. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Susan
    Great that you made it over here. The people here are the best and we are all one big family.
    Not to knock your vet or any vet i myself had vets that did not beleive in what I was doing.
    Max was treated by my own devotion to him and the knowledge, love and support from the people here.

I'm glad we got that ss ging. The column in the far right is great to make notes (like testing for ketones, food..any quirks that are of interst on those following your numbers.

Don't hesitate to ask away but keep everything in one condo per day.
    Tomorrow you will start a new one and always link the day before.

Welcome!!!!

7. Lylene & Barry

Lylene & Barry Member

Welcome to Lantus Land.

This is my second time around, which is why we are Lylene & Barry. Barry has been OTJ for almost 2 years. I adopted Paisley through DCIN in July '11 so it feels kind of new.

People here are great. Very knowledgeable. Hopefully Tiberious will get an OTJ Party. When he does, make sure he makes the party. Barry missed his party and is still mumbling about it. :lol:

8. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

hi - I just wanted to say welcome to Lantus Land! I love the name: Tiberious. what a pretty kitty he is. I hope to see you here often - you found a great place with very knowledgeable folks. Welcome aboard!

9. Susan and Tiberious

Thank you all for the kind welcome and fantastic information. To answer some questions listed- No other conditions except for the NEUROPATHY (He's taking 3mg of Methy b-12) that we are aware of so far. He did have a bout with constipation, the vet prescribe Lactulose which seemed to do the trick. I'm slightly concerned that he may get constipated again, the vet rec to possibly feed him canned pumpkin. I've read both good and bad information on that subject. As far as the FF, he is only getting the classic, and I just read a couple of days ago to have those back up grilled w/ gravy flavors for possible hypo events. ( in addition to the Karo)

Just so I'm clear- I don't quite know what 'condo' means. Is that the posting of his amps/pmps? I hope to talk to you all as much as possible to pick everyone's brain!!

Thanks again!! U all ROCK!!!~~

cat_pet_icon

10. Sam and S'mores

Sam and S'mores Member

Welcome!

The "condo" is just what this board calls your post for the day.

11. Susan and Tiberious

If anyone is reading- I jst took Tiberious's +5 and it was 125. Should I be worried by such a drop from the pmps? He has eaten a little more than a hlf a can of FF classic as well. confused_cat Let me know if possible !

12. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

hello susan. welcome to the group! yes, that's quite a drop, but not unusual. oftentimes kitties show a marked response after starting on insulin which is why the following guidelines are suggested when following the tight regulation protocol:

• Kitty should be monitored closely the first three days when starting Lantus or Levemir.
      Blood glucose levels should at least be checked at pre-shot, +3, +6, and +9.
      More monitoring may be needed.
    • It will be necessary to test kitty's blood glucose levels multiple times per day.
    • Use U-100 3/10cc syringes with half units marked on the barrel for fine dosing.
    • Feed a high quality low carb canned or raw food diet.
    • Feed small meals throughout the day. Some kitties adapt well to free feeding.

i'm just seeing your post now. are you at +6 yet? if so, i'd get another test to see if tiberious is still dropping.

13. Susan and Tiberious

Thanks Jill!!
    Not at +6 yet.. in the next 20 minutes. I will be testing him again. I'm keeping a super close eye on him as well. Thanks for the protocol info, I already had it printed out on my coffee table!!! If he is indeed still dropping, @ what level should I worry abt hypo?

14. Jill & Alex (GA)

if tiberious falls below 50 you would want to feed a teaspoon or two of high carb canned food and retest in 20 minutes.
    i have to feed my cats, but i should be back before your next test.

15. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

I'm here to keep an eye on ya just in case while Jill is gone!!!

16. Susan and Tiberious

Whew.. Thanks to you both.. just took his +6 and was 84 YIKES! He's NEVER had a BG that low... Suggestions?

17. Jill & Alex (GA)

that's a beautiful mid-cycle number!

if you think you can stay up an hour or two to continue testing, i would give him a teaspoon or two of his normal low carb food and retest in 30 minutes.

if you're going to crash soon (i have no idea what time zone you're in) go ahead and feed him a teaspoon of high carb canned food and retest in 30 minutes.

18. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

You're doing great!! Just check his BG again in 30 minutes and see how he's doing. He should (hopefully) be reaching his nadir soon and rising naturally.

19. Susan and Tiberious

Ok!! Sounds good..Just a little panicky!! nailbite_smile I cant say enough how much the help you guys and that everyone has given me means !! AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!

20. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

wow, this is exciting. your first post here and tiberious is making his presence known, AND getting some yummy special treat food at the same time! :D

i just want to say welcome! we're glad you're here. when you're not testing, combing, shooting, getting yummy foods, dealing with the litter box, or in other ways caring for your cat, and because we know you have nothing else in your life to do, drop by and read other people's condos. they're full of information - i soaked up a ton just browsing around.

when you get new numbers, post them and people will keep an eye on your subject line (edit the first post of the day) and jump in if you need help. feel free to ask a zillion questions - we all know there's a lot to learn. everyone here has a ton of experience with feline diabetes, or if they don't yet they will soon! :lol:

21. julie & punkin (ga)

btw, nothing to be scared of. it's like driving a car - it only looks scary til you learn how. you're going to learn how to "steer" tiberious' blood sugar with his insulin and carbs. right turns and left turns - not much different. you'll do fine.

22. Susan and Tiberious

Thanks for the insight Julie!! :smile:

23. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

just a quick pop in as i am off to bed, - but i did want to say - WELL DONE!, first day here, and already doing an awesome job. Go Tiberious!

24. julie & punkin (ga)

it helps to have a little perspective on it - at least it helped me. a non-diabetic cat's BG runs 50ish-120ish. so 80 is a primo number! what we do in following the protocol is to try to keep our cats BG in the 50-100ish range so their pancreas can heal.

we look at where in the cycle the numbers fall because an 80 at the mid-cycle is awesome, and 80 at pre-shot not so much! as you fill out your spread sheet with tests you'll begin to see patterns in how tiberius responds to insulin and food (carbs) and you'll learn what to do to try to give him the support he needs for his body to heal.

do you have another test number yet?

25. Jill & Alex (GA)

susan, i have to sign off for the night, but i'm leaving you in julie's very capable hands.
    hope to see you posting often...
    g'nite! :mrgreen:

26. Susan and Tiberious

Thanks Jill!!

@Julie- so i just waited 45min after food and retested his BG has gone down to 81. I just needed reassurance that btwn 50ish -and 100 is OK for cats. The vet had given me other information that anything under 90 was not good and to administer Karo... just second guessing myself. Thanks for the info!

27. julie & punkin (ga)

that's kinda standard vet advice. i think what we're all learning is that most vets, including the awesome one that i really like and mostly trust, just don't have a lot of experience with feline diabetes. i remember feeling quite torn between the obvious experience here, but hello, these are online strangers? - and the vet that i've been at for ages.

anyway, 81 is fine. at this point you don't need to be doing anything - not sure how long you're good to stay up. is this +7ish now?

28. julie & punkin (ga)

looked at his ss again - that was +7. the general wisdom is you want to see 2 rising numbers before you call it quits, but if he's flattened out, which it looks like he has, and he's in the 80's, i'd probably go to bed. you must be exhausted. if you are highly motivated or concerned, you can set an alarm and check him in 30-60 minutes. or you could give him a little bit more food and go to bed.

your call on it. i can stay up a bit longer if you would like company. let me know.

29. julie & punkin (ga)

i don't think you're gonna need it tonight, but just in case it's good for you to have it. this is the post on How to Handle Low Numbers: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=46003

at the bottom of the page is an option to "bookmark this post" (i think that's what it says) and if you bookmark the page, then you can look up your bookmarked posts under your profile screen and always have it available if you need it.

i'm off to bed and wishing you a great night's sleep!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.