08/19/19 Willow...APO amoxi suspension safe?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by nslade001, Aug 19, 2019.

1. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, went to vet today for very extensive check up prior to our move from Nova Scotia to Ontario. 3 month blood recheck showed worsening of anemia, everything else seemed mostly stable. Will update lab results probably after the move (leaving this Friday)

Here's the problem. Her horrible UTI isn't clearing with baytril, so we're going to try Amoxicillin because she got diarrhea on her last bout of clavamox. The amoxil tablets were far too large for my gaggy girl, so my vet gave Apo Amoxi Suspension.
    It has sucrose in the ingredient list. Is this ok?

Also to keep in mind, she earned a reduction yesterday (Sunday) morning from 1.3U to 1.05U of Lantus. I gave the reduced dose last night and this am, and this morning earned another reduction. (I'm giving it because I'd rather she failed it then dropped low again). So tonight she's at 0.8 U.

She's well regulated, her SS was updated Saturday I think.

So she's regulated, on a reducing trend, has a bad UTI, about to embark on a 16 hour drive with 2 hotel stays to a new home. I don't mind her running a bit higher right now, but is the Amoxil safe for her?

Should I just give clavamox another go instead?

Also I hate poking her so very frequently as I do when she's low, because of her anemia...Can't be helping it.

I hope you're all doing well, I think of you often and check in when I can...Really busy with the move now.

Eta :

Oral Suspension (regular)

125 mg
    After reconstitution each 5 mL of strawberry-flavored suspension contains amoxicillin trihydrate equivalent to 125 mg amoxicillin. Nonmedicinal ingredients: artificial strawberry flavoring, guar gum, sodium benzoate, sodium citrate, and sucrose.

Thanks so much, with love, Nikki

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Sucrose is not good. Very sweet.

nslade001 likes this.
  3. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy to have this nice update on Willow!
    Clavamox with diarrhea ( I guess you give probiotic ) and Amoxi with sucrose... Interesting to see what others say!

Hope everything goes well during this long trip and you enjoy your new home! :)
    Have a very nice and safe trip and keep posting! When you're not I'm always wondering if everything is OK for you and Willow! :bighug:

nslade001 likes this.
  4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I don't know what to say about the meds. Ollie not any of my cats had diarrhea with clavamox. They all vomit and foam from mouth. For Ollie, last time she had it I split the dose and gave every 8 hrs and she did well with that.

Where are you moving to?

nslade001 likes this.
  5. nslade001

Aw, sweet, thank you! Once we move we'll have internet again (didn't bother hooking it up for just the summer) and I look forward to being able to post more :) I keep a quiet eye on you all in the meantime, stalking lol.
    With love, nikki

6. nslade001

Prescott, Ontario.
    So Ollie didn't vomit with that way of dosing? How did you split the tablet into threes?
    Thanks, with love, nikki

7. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Hi Nikki! Sorry about Willow's anemia, I can't be of any help with your meds questions but happy for you that she's regulated! One less thing to worry about. I hope you get her meds figured out soon.
    Welcome to Ontario! I'm down river from you just past Cornwall close to the Quebec border! Moving is such a crazy busy time, but also exciting, we did it last September.
    I hope you all have a nice safe, uneventful trip. Keep stalking us and touch base when you can. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

nslade001 likes this.
  8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't know about the med, but sometimes you just have to give stuff and adjust the dose. I hope it helps Willow. I hope your move goes well. Sending prayers.

nslade001 likes this.