? 09/02 New meter problems-Milo

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha Member

Help!! I started using the OneDrop meter on Aug 31/2020. The readings all seemed ok. However, today he's sky high so I retested with the Contour meter I had been using. There's ZERO consistency between the two of them.

OneDrop:
    AMPS 236
    +2 (OneDrop)--taken within 10 mins of each other... 391/488/416
    +2 (Contour) 275/371

+4 (OD) 427
    +4 (C) 374

+5 (OD)434
    +5 (C) 313

I'm going to contact the company and get a new meter sent but has anyone run into this before? Should I just use the Contour meter for now and record those numbers? When I checked Singha, the readings were closer 160/151 between the two meters. grrrrrr....

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Comparing meters will drive you crazy. Meter variance is 20%. So if one is reading high and the other low it gets even more complicated. It does look like the new meter reads overall higher. I had that happen with my first meter and was sent another. This might sound silly but have you tested yourself with both? If you have strips I’d continue to use the old one until the replacement arrives.

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Meters can give different numbers and when the numbers are higher they can be farther apart then when they are lower. If you're concerned I'd ask for a replacement meter.

4. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Thanks. I can see that now that I compare numbers. The company is sending me some test fluid rather than just a replacement. Grrrrr.... more time waiting now.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Tagging @Sue and Luci , though she might not read this until tomorrow.

Meters can be out by 20% in the US/ 15% in Canada. If the Contour read 275 and 371, that's quite a difference for the same meter. And frankly, high is high. What is more important is that they are close in low numbers.

Good to see some blue today. :cool:

6. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

This is a duplicate thread...here is the original in case you wanna remove one: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/09-02-new-meter-problems-milo.234529/

7. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I went through all of that a while back - you can check my SS January of 2019 I was using up to three meters at the same time. I finally pared it down to two..then finally made my choice to use the OneDrop. I like that system because of the unlimited strips which are sent to me and I'm not always chasing down strips. I tend to be a bit OCD ... well maybe a lot...and can't stand the thoughts of running out of strips. And I felt like I was constantly running to the store for another box or two...and they were expensive! I ended up saving money and getting great customer support on my device (once the battery was low and the readings were weird - I reported and they sent me a new kit right away)...

The readings you're getting are all high...so I wouldn't worry so much about which high number you're getting...it's just high...so use one or the other...many have said the same thing about comparing meters...it's trends you're looking for more so than an exact number. I've researched this a good bit and there are others who've done the same with many comparisons and data - it's around here somewhere but says essentially the same thing - a high reading is high, a low reading is low. Don't get all caught up in the numbers...pick one and go with the flow...

8. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Thank. I am going to test the OneDrop with the liquid they are sending me. I would just like a replacement and see if it's different. With two cats I'm going to have to monitor, I definitely need the OneDrop unlimited strips plan. But I hate the high readings as they totally freak me out. I'll try to sort it out shortly.

Sue and Luci likes this.