09/09 Milo AMPS 72. +3 31/ +3.25 32/+3.6 77/+4.25 131 (105?)**meter switch/+5 153/+6 175/+7 122/+9

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha Member

Starting off low today. Is that the beach? Lagoon? Never quite sure... but I know sharks! He’s not swimming there today I hope!

Safe surfing folks. Have a good day.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  2. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Milo starting off in the lagoon! Happy surfing today. Stay away from the sharks.
    Have a good day, Sam.

3. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

OMG...I fell asleep and when I tested at +3, he's gone to 31. I fed 1T HC with 1/8 tsp maple syrup. I rubbed more on his gums. I can't believe I did this... He seems fine, wandering around and alert/happy.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  4. LindyNova

LindyNova Well-Known Member

You did just fine....test again in 15-20 mins, and see if he comes up. Breathe....

5. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

6. LindyNova

automatic reduction for pm shot

7. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

I just gave him 1/8 tsp more maple syrup. He seems fine but I'm a mess. When I retested, I used both meters (I stopped using the OneDrop because it is much higher than the Contour) and OneDrop said 2.8 when the Contour read 1.8

8. LindyNova

A the next test, if he is below 50, give some more HC (no syrup) & test again in another 20 minutes.

9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

He definitely made it clear he wants less juice. If he’s below 50 I would give hc and a couple drops of syrup. You are doing great. The food will take about 20-30 minutes to register.

10. LindyNova

It is very scary, you did good. see my message above. (I am not familiar with the Euro #s). it takes about 15-20 minutes for the carbs to hit...just like a regular meal. Use food to steer him upwards. When he gets above 50, test every half and hour---syrup wears out fast...and continue your normal feeding routine

11. LindyNova

I am at work, so it will be hard for me to keep up with the string...are you available?

12. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Thanks. Sorry...Contour meter read 32 last reading and OneDrop read 50. A massive difference. Maybe the OneDrop is more accurate, not the Contour, based on his behaviour

13. tiffmaxee

Yes. I will take over.

14. tiffmaxee

With meter variance one could be 20% high and the other 20% low. Hard to say.

15. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

77 now, 95 according to OneDrop

LindyNova and thebigfuzz like this.
  16. tiffmaxee

Good. No food and test in 30 minutes. Is he hungry? If so you could give a little lc. You just want to keep him willing to eat if he drops when the syrup wears off.

LindyNova and thebigfuzz like this.
  17. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

I don't think I should give him more because he's not easy to get eating if I need him to. He's already eaten more than his usual by this time in the day...

So, I'm not sure what to do. I'm going to be out of Contour strips within a day and a half. I don't trust the OneDrop and I am STILL waiting after a week for the testing solution from them and more strips. I do have enough to carry me through with the One Drop meter.

18. tiffmaxee

So roughly 20% variance. I would use the One Drop and take that into account. Who knows? The Contour may be the wrong one but safety first. He didn’t have any symptoms.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  19. LindyNova

Thank you.

20. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Thanks both of you. I have switched to the OneDrop meter and it's reading 131 (that would still be over 100 on the Contour)

Sue and Luci and LindyNova like this.
  21. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

What about having a higher "take action" number when using the One Drop?

22. tiffmaxee

That’s more or less what I was thinking.

23. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

It seems to be 18% higher than the Contour. I have some fluid to test so I’m sure however you do it I can try both meters. It’s nerve wracking. How to trust the one that reads higher??? And I’ve been basing all actions on the lower.... what does that mean for dosing?? I agree that it seems his dose needs to be adjusted lower as he’s been staying quite low and I’ve been feeding/testing him carefully up until my oops this opening

24. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Suggestions what that might be? Presumably the OneDrop would have registered around 49 earlier when the Contour read 31. Would most cats be showing sign of hypo at 31? Milo was not at all.

25. LindyNova

Many cats do not show any signs when in the 30s....Nova did not--she was just famished---even at 30. I think I have read somewhere on someone else's post that the Countour reads closer to the Alpha track pet meter. If anyone reads this and has more knowledge, they may want to confirm or deny.

Great job today....keep testing at least every hour. :bighug:

26. tiffmaxee

Max only maybe showed signs once in the 30’s and that could have been he just had it with testing and me pushing food. He growled at me. Other times no sign. Another one of those ECID but why we need to test so much when low. Many would go from okay to serious hypo without us knowing.

LindyNova likes this.
  27. tiffmaxee

Maybe your take action number should be 68 like with the AT then?

28. Frogster

Frogster Member

I only heard about a significant difference between whole blood and plasma calibrated meters. After a quick search: "What's the difference?" you might ask. The difference is that plasma numbers read about 10 - 12% higher than the older whole blood numbers. So if your fasting and pre-meal blood glucose target is 90 - 130 mg/dl plasma glucose, it would be 80 - 120 mg/dl if your meter reads whole blood.
    I thought all modern meters were plasma calibrated though.
    But 68 as a take action number for Contour seems to fit nicely with my girl's SS.

29. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

I'm going to stick to OneDrop for now because those supplies are much more plentiful and on-hand at the moment. So, stick with the suggested numbers and only adjust if I have to use the Contour in emergencies?
    +5 131

30. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Milo came back up for you.

Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha likes this.
  31. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

32. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

33. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good luck with the reduction. Quite the morning! :eek: Well handled.
    Just had to comment on this, they are World numbers, not just Europe. ;)

34. LindyNova

I stand corrected :oops:

35. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Canadian numbers for us!
    Well, this day is just not ending... Milo is now:
    +9 85 (which would be about 67 using the Contour). Why still dropping??? Should I feed MC? He still seems to want to eat...

LindyNova likes this.
  36. Wendy&Neko

How long since he last had anything with higher carbs? Could it be wearing off?

37. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

He's just been eating LC and raw throughout the day. He had HC at +3

38. LindyNova

I agree with Wendy...Milo could be coming down from the extra carbbing. He is just a few hours from pmps.....85 is a good number, and you most likely do not need to feed, but a bit of LC rather than MC might do the trick to keep him from dropping further. It would be the last snack before pmps. Keep testing, tho, he may hold steady.

39. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

I offered him a bit of raw and some plain yogurt I make. He refuses to eat the supplement with probiotics but will eat the yogurt with 12 different strains of probiotics. He is holding steady at 101 on the new meter.
    Thanks for everyone supporting today. It's been a challenge.

LindyNova likes this.
  40. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  41. Wendy&Neko

He hasn't onset yet, can you check in an hour?

42. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

I will set my alarm and check him. I don’t want anymore excitement but I’m exhausted beyond reason. Thanks again for today.

43. LindyNova

It doesn't look like Milo gets a boost from pre-shot food, like my Nova. I would set my alarm and get a +3 for good measure. Good luck tonight & as much as I hate to say this...I hope he stays at the beach so you can get some rest. :) :bighug: (and there's nothing wrong with a bit o extra LC/MC mix to hold him over before bed. ;))

44. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

+3.5 83 and I gave him 2T MC. I had a feeling....
    +5.5 97
    I wonder where he would have gone without the MC....

45. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Congratulations on switching to the OneDrop. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

I glanced at some of your conversations above. When I first switched over to the OneDrop if too found some variations in the numbers but realized they were all within 'range' of the basic colors - typically - a 70 was about the same as a 60 or a 90...it was still a 'green' range number. I tried my old meter AND a Pet Meter for comparison You can see the three entries on my SS during that time - January 2019.

46. LindyNova

What a nice PM cycle. Those healing Greens are what we all aim for. :D You are very lucky to see them so early in this dance. I hope Milo keeps it up for you! (without visiting those sharkies!) :cat:

47. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

I think I just have to get used to the new numbers. I agree, when they are in the green range, no problem. But with such a big discrepancy between meters, there's a big difference in action between a 32 and a 50! Freaks me out! I hope my OneDrop supplies arrive shortly or I will have a problem with not enough test strips. I don't want to go back to the Contour unless necessary but it's taking FOREVER for the package to arrive. When I first ordered, the OneDrop kit arrived the NEXT day. Based on this, I thought it would always be pretty prompt but the mail service might be unreliable or the company isn't as motivated to send replacement supplies as to get you first signed up. Not sure what to think...